cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We got locked IN our camper!!

lovechipps
Explorer
Explorer
Last night during a severe thunderstorm the deadbolt on our door decided to lock us in! The red switch to unlock it turned freely and would not unlock it. My husband was too afraid to take apart the handle thinking it would just make it worse so I grabbed a screw driver and unscrewed the cover plate/handle myself. Inside were two screws apparently not doing their jobs of holding on the lever to unlock the deadbolt. I easily slid the deadbolt back with my finger so it wasn't stuck at all, just came unscrewed. Anybody else ever had this happen? Talk about being in a panic!

We opened the door yesterday morning and never shut it until going in for the night, thank goodness or one of our kids could of ended up being locked in their alone! Any ideas to keep it from happening again? Apparently the screws must of worked themselves out, I tightened them up as much as possible!
12 REPLIES 12

lovechipps
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a FIC lock according to the stickers that fell out with the screws after taking it apart ๐Ÿ™‚

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
The people running Trimark sound interesting indeed. First they sell a crappy lock, and then charge you to fix it with the proper part that should have been in there to begin with. Only in America.

They have corned the RV market with that lock and they KNOW it. :R:R

I found out with one phone call that all the locksmiths know it too. The first thing out of their mouths when you call them is: "Is it a Trimark?"

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
The people running Trimark sound interesting indeed. First they sell a crappy lock, and then charge you to fix it with the proper part that should have been in there to begin with. Only in America.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

lovechipps
Explorer
Explorer
Thankfully nothing was broke, the screws just came out. As far as emergency windows, we have 3 and all of us know how to use them. At the time it was pouring rain, 2 inches in 30 minutes, and really didn't want to be climbing out a window at the time, just wanted the door to be open. We were also in a tornado watch. Wanted to be able to get out asap in case of one. You would think lock manufacturers could build them a little better, one of our kids could of got locked in or us locked out. I'm buying lock-tite today and getting that done. Thanks for the advice!

darbyjudy
Explorer
Explorer
TriMark now sells a replacement lock that the latch is made of steel. I was so worried that mine would break again that I spent the money and bought the new lock with the steel latch. You just replace the outside part.
2004 Gulf Stream 36 ft Sun Voyager triple slide
Workhorse W22 8.1
2004 Saturn VUE w/stowmaster towbar
Two Ole Pharts & One Little CocaPoo named Cuddles

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
It happened to us a few years ago. I keep a screw driver inside the trailer. It was easy to take apart. A piece of cheap metal broke so I just went to the closest rv shop and purchased a new lock. Easy to install. Always keep a set of screw drivers inside the trailer.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Feel your frustration been there done that TWICE with these cheap RV locks.

Is it a Trimark lock set?
If so REPLACE it as it WILL lock you out again. One of the first symptoms is the red lever being a little difficult to turn.

I have been locked out TWICE with these locks as have MANY people on this forum and across the US! First time cost me $400 on the road mobile repair. Second time? I took a crow bar to my door frame.

The inner slide mechanism is made out of pot metal and it breaks. There is also a spring in there that falls out. When you moved the slide back was the spring still there?

Sadly the only replacement available is 'another' Trimark.
Do a search on past posts regarding these locks. I think I saw a post regarding Trimark offering a replacement part that is not pot metal.

I now only use the one lock and have duct tape over the striker for the other lock so I NEVER get locked out again.

BTW: you should show your children and everyone that travels with you for that matter where the "emergency exit window" is located in your RV, AND how to operate it in case of an emergency.

It's the first thing I do when I take friends RV'ing with me.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
When you get home take those same screws out and apply a little loctite to them and screw them back in. That should keep them from working loose again.

If you don't have any loctite, you can coat the threads with some nailpolish:)
But, as others have mentioned, you should learn where the emergency exit is.
And, don't be afraid to take something apart....especially, if you are basically trapped inside.

I know that the emergency window isn't for everyone, due to age or conditions, but if there was a serious emergency, just know that you could get out, should help to reduce the panic.....I don't know if I'd be in any rush to climb out our rear window, but I'm fortunate, I can get out through the cab in the MH too:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
We had this happen also with the dead bolt not being able to lock, easy fix once you tore into it like you did..
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
If there was an emergency, you should have a least 1 egress window.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
When you get home take those same screws out and apply a little loctite to them and screw them back in. That should keep them from working loose again.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
put some blue Lock-Tite on the treads of screws that come loose.

Otherwise, remember you have an emergency exit. How many people panic and forget they have an escape hatch I wonder...