cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this world coming to?

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a trip to the Great North West. I visited my dad after 16 years of not traveling up his way. He's been down a few times and we've been in touch on the phone and on the internet. It was a great visit, we had a wonderful time!

My question though at the opening, we visited a Rite Aid to pick up some ice cream and wouldn't you know it. They don't have Thrifty Ice cream! What!!! That is some of the best, award winning ice cream in the world and they don't have it! How disappointing is that? Well, I did find another good one that I haven't seen at home in San Diego, Tillamook. I've heard of the cheese, I didn't know they made ice cream too? I learned something new!
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
55 REPLIES 55

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:
i had a double scoop cone of Pecan Praline, for $2.50:B

$2.50 :h Back in the fifties we could get locally made hand-dipped ice cream for a nickle a scoop. Oh, also we had had a water cooled Coke machine that gave you an 8 oz bottle for a nickle.

Even considering normal inflation these products are very overpriced thise days. Few people pay much attention but rather just pull out the plastic. Its no wonder many of these things have become so expensive and the majority of the population is carrying considerable debt.

That $2.50 cent cone probably cost most of you $3.00.

Dick,
I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska in the 1950s and 1960s. The locally owned chain was; Goodrich Dairy stores. Their cones were two-dips for 0.10 cents during the '60s. Malts were 0.35 cents. Hot fudge sundaes were 0.45 cents. My Mother and Father owned two apartment buildings directly next to a Goodrich Dairy Store in midtown Omaha, Nebraska. The treat was for my Dad to buy me and my Brothers ice cream cones after doing hot Summer lawn work at our family's apartments before we drove home to our residence.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
My favorite is my own homemade ice cream! A no-cook recipe and VERY easy! And served with fresh peaches or strawberries! YUM!

I'm curious ... have you made your own ice cream when out camping in your RV?

If so, IMHO life doesn't get any better than that! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, I do! Makes a GREAT dessert! I use an old fashioned type ice cream maker. Put it in a tub in the kitchen (to keep the ice melt-off contained), pack in the ice and salt and fire up the generator. I make it in the early afternoon so that the generator won't bother anyone. Takes maybe an hour.
It always tastes better at the lake!
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
My favorite is my own homemade ice cream! A no-cook recipe and VERY easy! And served with fresh peaches or strawberries! YUM!

I use the old fashioned type 5 gallon ice cream machine, I set the maker in a tub in the kitchen and for the hour or so it takes to make, I fire up the generator. I make it early in the afternoon when use of the genny won't bother others.
It always tastes better when we are at the lake!
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I have never met an Ice Cream that I didn't like. Kroger Better Pecan is one of my local favorites.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Pineapple_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
You have to try Lapports Ice cream available here in Hawaii, I used to have a beer now and then with Walter Lapport at the old Koloa Broiler here on Kauai.
( Walter past on several years ago but his Ice cream factory is still going strong )

If you can't afford a trip to Kauai to try a scoop you can get it at the California Hotel in Las Vegas, although it may cost you more to go there.
Pineapple Kid Kauai, Hawaii

2013 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel (In California)
2003 Jayco 243RKS fifth wheel (In California)
Right Hand drive Sprinter Motorhome ( in Netherlands )

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:

$2.50 :h Back in the fifties we could get locally made hand-dipped ice cream for a nickle a scoop. Oh, also we had had a water cooled Coke machine that gave you an 8 oz bottle for a nickle.Man those were dirty nasty things,but you just stuck your hand down in them,pulled out the bottle you wanted,popped the cap and drank it.

Even considering normal inflation these products are very overpriced thise days. Few people pay much attention but rather just pull out the plastic. Its no wonder many of these things have become so expensive and the majority of the population is carrying considerable debt.

Hey Dick,now you're showing your age... I'd tell you mine,but then Linda,RVlady,would be upset as we're the same b'day.(Easter Sunday)
Okay now,Tillamook,Umpqua,Olympic out of Shelton,Wa. the one in Port Townsend on the waterfront. It seems as if a lot of towns have their own local favorites. Oh and we also like Blue Bunny and their museum in La Mars,Iowa is really neat.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okie in Wyoming wrote:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Probably an old John Deere Ice Cream machineโ€ฆ

click

or maybe an old Maytag engineโ€ฆ

click

click
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A few weekends ago I went to a outdoor "Festival" in the town I happened to be parked in.. Easy to get to.. Take the road out of the park I normally take in and out and when I get to the highway... Go Straight..

Well there was a vendor there: Grandma's Home Made Ice Cream.

Beside the trailer was a genuine ice cream maker,, I think it was a 5 gallon size, but it was just like the old hand cranked units I recall with a tub (Wooden banded) full of ice and rock salt (For demo use they omitted the salt) and a very bright, well polished, tub turned by, not a hand crank but an old Hit and Miss gasoline engine.. Now that was sweet..

Some of the comments I heard about that engine.. Like "Sounds like it's missing" (well, yes, hit and Miss engines do miss more than they hit).

Sounds like it's not running right (Sounded perfect to me).

Sounds like it's running out of fuel (During the misses, there is no fuel consumption, only when it goes "CHUFF" (hites) does it draw fuel)

That was a thing of beauty.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing compares to fresh madeโ€ฆ really fresh madeโ€ฆ and that goes for ice creamโ€ฆ that canโ€™t be found in grocery freezer departments anywhere, except maybe locallyโ€ฆ
As much as the taste of a tomato just picked and eaten while standing in the garden, canโ€™t be canned, or eating the warm heart of a watermelon not even picked from the vine can only be experienced sitting in the patchโ€ฆ it canโ€™t be duplicated โ€ฆ fresh is a short and fleeting moment in time..

I like ice cream where you can see the same dairy cows through the window that mad the delicious teat possibleโ€ฆ where you can bet its made fresh every dayโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

cinca
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I did find another good one that I haven't seen at home in San Diego, Tillamook. I've heard of the cheese, I didn't know they made ice cream too? I learned something new!

Check the frozen foods section of your local Albertson's grocery store for the Tillamook ice cream.

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer

$2.50 :h Back in the fifties we could get locally made hand-dipped ice cream for a nickle a scoop. Oh, also we had had a water cooled Coke machine that gave you an 8 oz bottle for a nickle.

2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Fredzo wrote:
In California, Rite Aid bought out the Thrifty Drug chain. They (Thrifty) were known for their hand dipped cones, and California Rite Aids (some of them) still have the ice cream counter.

You have to go back 'some' for that trivia!

When Thrifty Drug was in So.CA, the chain had something like 200 stores.
Sav-On had 20 (1960s) and did more volume than Thrifty's 200! (probably why Thrifty was sold).

Both were long before discount stores - like Zody's, K-Mart, etc. came on the scene, but Sav-On had 'discount' prices - and a better stocking plan.
Each store was it's own warehouse - while Thrifty kept minimal stock in the stores, relied on a central warehouse - resulting in 'outages' on the store shelves.

Like Thrifty, all Sav-On stores had an ice cream counter (hand-dipped), and like Thrifty - it was *not* their own brand.
(Sav-On was Carnation, forgot who supplied Thrifty).
Sav-On would have two or three gals (always busy) working at the ice cream counter during business hours, selling cones, hand-packed qts & 1/2 gallons - as well as 'commercially' packaged 1/2 gallons.

Single was 5 cents, double 10 cents. Thrifty would do "triples", but not Sav-On. (too many clean-ups).

When the younger generation of the Call family inherited the family business, they weren't interested in running a drug store chain and sold Sav-On also - and has been re-sold several times since.
Most of those stores are now CVS.

Doesn't matter - the ice cream counters have all disappeared.
The 'foot traffic' - won't support it.
Doubt a CVS (or a Rite Aid) could sell five cones in an hour - no matter what brand it was, LOL!

~

Out here in So Cal, ice cream sells in the dead of what we call winter. It's not uncommon for the day time highs to get up to 78 and sometimes into the mid 80's. Ice cream always sells in So Cal, no matter the time of year! And oh yes, I've always seen someone at the ice cream counter at Rite Aid getting their Thrifty ice cream pretty much any time of the day, any day of the week.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon