cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what to do about water in marker lights?

SailAndPaddle
Explorer
Explorer
One of the marker lights in my 2015 Jayco travel trailer has water drops in it. Should I reseal it, drill a weep hole in the bottom, just live with it, or something else? Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
the best seal I have found to put on the top of the runnin lights is alumn. duct tape from Lowes ,,its really good to seal just abt anything,,just be sure you get the type with a thin layer of byutal tape on it it will last for years in the hot sun of FL and the rain dont hurt it..very good idea to keep a roll in the camper ..

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
I've cleaned mine and then put a strip of electricians tape across the top seal.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Seal the top and sides (not the bottom) of all marker lights. Either replace or drill a weep hole in the problem one.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always repair or replace mine if I find water in them. Some have WEEP HOLES and was installed in the wrong direction. Some have dried up sealent applied.

Letting water stay inside the marker lights will eventually cause damage to the light assembly or the wiring and may drip water inside the trailer coming through the walls where the wiring is installed.

One extreme situation I had was the large 8-inch scare light lens was installed wrong and the weep hole was on the top. It had filled up with water up to where the wiring went through the trailer wall to inside the trailer. I had water dripping inside a ceiling mounted cabinet and desk top below it. Scratched my head for a bit as to why it was half filed up with water and the identical one on the other side of the trailer didn't. That is when I noticed the weep was at the top of the fixture instead of the bottom. Lucky I didn't get any sustained water damage on the inside of the trailer.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
$5 at Napa, easy to replace.
Puma 30RKSS