cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to use to brighten rv?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to brighten the outside of your RV (typical filon gelcoat siding) to me it looks dingy and not bright anymore
Proud father of a US Marine
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
fyrflie wrote:
Poly Glow

Soul Glo works the best!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Poly Glow

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Try reading the 100 threads about oxidized finishes on here.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little confused on what you have. Gloss gelcoat or non gelcoat filon that you can see the glass chop strand through? Either one requires a good cleaning with something like Barkeepers Friend or Zud first to remove grime & oxidation. For gelcoat the next step is a good cleaner wax like 3M followed by a good fiberglass wax like Meguires Flagship wax. For the filon siding I would use something like 303 protectant. For best results it is very important to clean the surface well.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Barkeepers Friend in a trial area will do a good job on getting it clean.

I used this on my old 5th wheel and it took off most of the oxidation.
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Barkeepers Friend in a trial area will do a good job on getting it clean.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wax build up will yellow with heat. You probably need to strip the old built-up wax off and start with a fresh 1st coat. I discovered this when I was using LA Awesome trying to clean black streaks and it removed the old wax - big job though.
Sprayed on straight, let it sit a minute or two, scrubbed with soft sponge with elbow grease then rinsed immediately working small areas at a time.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
depending on how old the unit is there might be oxidation that is tarnishing the finish. In that case you may need to use an rv polish, then wax the rig to bring up the shine. The elements are not kind to our toys!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have already washed it, as I usually do, but I just feel like it isn't the bright white it was. I always wax it. I'm just hesitant to wax over the dingy old finish
Proud father of a US Marine

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably a good wash job followed by a lot of wax. Seems to be a few youtubes on this. "rv looks dingy"
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wax at least twice per year...front more often. Keep it covered when not in use. Fiberglass has as much shine as it did four years ago. I'm a Mother's fan.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad