cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where, oh where to go

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're kinda sort of planning a trip through the southern half of the U.S. We have the western part pretty well planned with National Parks, friends, and other places to see.
Heading east, we plan to drive through TX, LA, MS, and into FL. This portion of the trip is also pretty well planned.
Where we are lacking in places to visit is in the eastern/southern half of the U.S. We will be at Charleston, SC for a few days, then probably turning back to the west--maybe Branson, Pigeon Forge, etc.
What is there to see between Charleston and say Colorado?
Interestingly, I've driven in all 50 states, but have never stopped to see the sights until now.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you need to be more specific in the types of places you want to visit and your general interests. I can think of a lot of places I would like to visit or visit again. As soon as I saw Pigeon Forge I realized are interests are not at all similar.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the State, City or area in the blank space and take your pick.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I did Dodge City, KS... some say worthwhile, some say don't bother. I enjoyed it.

Went to Durange, CO... interesting. Over Wolf Creek Pass was an experience, but I enjoyed it.

Branson is among my favorites. Charleston (the Battery) is beautiful.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
If you make the Springfield,MO area don't miss this. Well worth the time to stop and see!
https://wondersofwildlife.org/
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI've driven in all 50 states, but have never stopped to see the sights...โ€

Wow
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
If in the Branson area drop south by a dozen or so mile to The Top of The Rock, no camping, but an interesting place to see. Next would be Big Cedar Lodge, lodging but no camping, then comes Dogwood Canyon. Another worthwhile sight to see, but no camping. ( All three of these owned by Johnny Morris of Bass Pro. From there another interesting place is the Golden Pioneer Museum in Golden, MO. Looks like a barn/metal shed, but contains a vast collection that we found interesting. From lunchboxes to Indian artifacts, dinner ware to dolls. Well worth the free admission (donations accepted).
Down the road apiece from there is the Office Pub & Steakhouse, Eagle Rock, MO. Some of the best fried chicken ever. Not far from there is Roaring River State Park and finally a campsite! A beautiful park, especially loop 1 or 2 (our favorites). It's a trout fishing park.
Just a jump from there to Eureka Springs, AR, which is a small town worth visiting.
A little long, but hope it helps.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Check out hot springs national Park in Arkansas and don't miss a tour of heifer international in Little Rock. There is a nice RV park right on the river across from the Clinton library. These would be further west from the suggestions given earlier. You can also spend a little time in Branson Missouri because it's scenic and touristy. So, don't spend too much time! Oh and don't forget to stop in at the museum of college of the Ozarks. They don't charge any tuition and it's a fascinating model in this day.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Charleston has Fort Sumter and Patriots Point Maritime Museum with 3 WW2 vessles, the USS Yorktown, the USS Laffey and the USS Clamagore. Town has the historic market district and the historic homes and lots of great dining. Think about stopping in Savannah before you head to Charleston.

Then head on up to Asheville and go to the Biltmore Estate. Plan for all day there if you go. Take one of the add on tours like the roof top tour or the grounds tour. Look online at the options. Eat at any of their restaurants they're all execellent. The Asheville area is worth about 4 day stop to explore.

Then come over to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Yes, its "touristy" but there is lots to see and do. Depending the time of season you hit here you might see very heavy traffic and patience would be in order. Great dinner shows and Dollywood is a great theme park (they say they are NOT an amusement park!). Again there are lots of other great restaurants and there is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park with Newfound Gap and Clingmans Dome and Cades Cove. You could spend another 4-5 days here. I live in this area and can answer most questions you might have.

From there head west to Nashville and take in Broadway street with all the little honky tonks and live country music. The not to be missed is the Hermitage, Andrew Jacksons home and museum. From there Memphis might be a stop for Beal Street.