cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whoo oooh My storage place now has el hookups!!

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi The place I store my trailer now offers electric hookups It's an additional fee but I think it's worth it, my question is do I need to do anything while storing over the winter? I used to keep it at my house but I no longer am able to so I moved it to storage and was just paying for a spot but now I have a el hookup. Thanks for the help.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "
11 REPLIES 11

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
'Beemerphile' hit the nail on the head - If your converter has 'smart' charging, then you can and should leave it hooked up to power all the time. It will keep your batteries charged, without over-charging or 'cooking' them. If your converter does not have such...Well, if it was me, that'd be the next thing on the 'upgrade' list for the RV, hehe. ๐Ÿ™‚

Even if your converter has smart charging and you chose to leave it hooked up, I'd still check the batteries maybe once a month, make sure the water levels look OK, and add more as needed. A 'smart' charging system should prevent the batteries from having all their water 'cooked' out, but I'd still keep an eye on water levels to be sure.

I have always kept our RVs parked at our house, and plugged up to AC power year-round (I installed a 30 amp outlet at house for this very reason). Keeps batteries fresh and ready to go, without having to do much with them except checking the water levels every so often.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine plugged in all the time, but its stored in a heated building and I own the building. I keep a "Battery Tender Plus" attached to both the engine and house batteries. Both have blade connectors so the batteries aren't overcharging. They read the charge and adjust accordingly. All the way down to a 2 AMP "storage" charge.
You probably don't want to hear about the kitchen, full service bar with ice maker and theater style popcorn machine, bathroom with shower, tables and chairs for 50 of my closest friends, Dish TV, two pinball machines and a juke box that plays old 45's. And most important, no phone, no windows and no neighbors. So I won't tell you.
PS - As you might have guessed, I'm not married. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
mine has a 30 amp plug right beside it in the pole barn.

I see no reason what so ever to have it plugged in in the winter when it is just setting there in storage. I flip the batt disconnect to off and let it be.

maybe flip a coin or alternate to follow all the advice? :W

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Both of mine stay plugged into power while stored.

But, both have three stage 'smart' converters. Some converters should not be connected continuously.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't have a reason to have it hooked up over the winter, but I do like having a power source at the camper.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
What converter do you have. I wouldn't trust the cheap excuse for a converter in my trailer with my batteries all winter.

As far as leaving it hooked up and charged, I can't see the difference in that or having a solar system running year round. As long as you have the proper converter/controller, your batteries should love it.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Ours styes hooked up and inside. They check the batteries,every two weeks or more often if something suggest they should, which the controller has on trickle charge. Could probably cut them off. You can't put it away and not check things like the batteries hooked up or not. I like it hooked up because it is ready to go when we arrange to get there. Food is in the refrigerator or at least some and ready to go. If it should get too cold the heat pumps would kick in. No water in the tanks though unless we are expecting to leave soon.
Stored unplugged,if you have auto gen start, the batteries get low, the generator will kick on and charge things up, if batteries are in condition. Stored inside they wouldn't want too many generators running.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
campinginthewoods wrote:
Hi The place I store my trailer now offers electric hookups It's an additional fee but I think it's worth it, my question is do I need to do anything while storing over the winter? I used to keep it at my house but I no longer am able to so I moved it to storage and was just paying for a spot but now I have a el hookup. Thanks for the help.

I keep mine plugged in all winter to keep the temperature above freezing and the batteries happy. (I use a space heater).

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I see nothing good that can come of that. As mentioned maybe a day prior to picking up to cool the fridge but thats about it. I do that now with battery and propane though.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I would not leave a camper hooked up at storage facility other than for a short "pre trip" period to cool the fridge etc. Can't imagine why anyone would. Maybe some reasons, but I can't think of any.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know that I would leave it hooked up all winter maybe just cooking your batteries.
I would take the batteries home and keep them warm and charge them just before spring.
JMHO YRMV
Traveling with my best friend my wife!