cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do TT brakes work on Tacoma but not F150?

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, I bought a TH to pull with my Tacoma. Everything works fine, but I wanted a bigger truck to pull it. So, got a new F150 and the everything works but the brakes. When I manually activate the integrated brake controller, I get a "trailer disconnected" pop up on my screen. I had the dealer investigate and they say the truck is fine. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I picked up the TH last night with the Tacoma and again everything worked. Plugged the 7way into the Ford and still shows trailer disconnected. I want to troubleshoot, but not sure what to start with?
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T
24 REPLIES 24

YakFishMo
Explorer
Explorer
Kewl! Glad that you got it working and that you let us know what fixed it. Enjoy your camping trip!
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 F-350 6.7 CC DRW

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
NolalSafari wrote:
Go to Radio Shack and get some Deoxit, fixed my F-150 when the connection got stupid. Clean both female and male side of connector, use a brass brush, disconnect battery on truck or you will have sparks flying, I use Deoxit ion all my radio gear and batteries. Get the Silver and Gold combo pack, Expensive and containers are small you don't need much. Hope this fixes your issue and you can go on your trip. Mine is a 2011 F-150 saved me a trip to the dealer.

Deoxit

Jim

Kudos to Jim!!!

Not sure what did it and I don't care because it's WORKING!!! I cleaned both truck and trailer connections with an emery board and scrubbed with a metal brush. I bent the trailer prong connections inward to make them fit tighter. I sprayed the DeoxIT a few times, and slowly things started working. By the time I was done I had a solid signal and the trailer disconnected popup didn't come on. Brakes are working, and my trip is back on!!! A huge thanks to Jim and everyone else for not letting give up.

Thanks Big Time!!!!
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

NolalSafari
Explorer
Explorer
I went thru this, did all the checking and so on the Ford wants a very clean connection Deoxit worked. I had the same issues worked on one truck and not the Ford. I pulled the connector off of the Ford and it was correct. I have the Ford brake controller it will not work with any dirt on the pin, see spider reference above.
Thanks

2012 Airstream International Serenity 28
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew Lariat

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Get you meter out and park both trucks side by side mad make sure both trucks match these photos the same on every pin. When something doesnt match you will have found your problem.

I just has an 02 GMC in the other day that everything worked except the running lights. It turned out to be a broken wire in the truck harnedd about 6 inches before the socket.

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Really love mine. I did have mine not read the trailer one time, and turned out I had spider web in the connection. Try cleaning out good and use a little dielectric grease on connections.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

NolalSafari
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Radio Shack and get some Deoxit, fixed my F-150 when the connection got stupid. Clean both female and male side of connector, use a brass brush, disconnect battery on truck or you will have sparks flying, I use Deoxit ion all my radio gear and batteries. Get the Silver and Gold combo pack, Expensive and containers are small you don't need much. Hope this fixes your issue and you can go on your trip. Mine is a 2011 F-150 saved me a trip to the dealer.

Deoxit

Jim
Thanks

2012 Airstream International Serenity 28
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew Lariat

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I give up. I'm pretty upset I have two new trucks that can't really pull my new toy hauler, but I've come to terms with it. I cannot continue to stress over it. I cannot fix it, RV Dealers and Etrailer.com won't look at it. So, I'll leave it up to Ford. I've cancelled my camping trip for next week, and Thursday i'LL drop the truck and trailer off at Ford. Not sure what I'll do if they say what I suspect they'll say which is we don't know what it is, but the truck checks out. Maybe I'll ask them to uninstall the IBC, so I can install my Prodigy? Not really sure. Anyway, thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll update you next week after the dealer looks at it all again.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

kenferg1
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that perhaps the trailer 7pin could be the problem. You say that when you move the voltage to 12 on the Tacoma the brakes do not lock up. Either the brake lining is gone, or there isn't enough voltage to the solenoids to completely activate the brakes. The previous suggestion to clean the 7 pin and spread the connectors is good advice. You might also consider replacing the plug.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
This is a long shot since I don't have a Ford, but the built in controller on my Chevy started doing what you describe after 5 years of working perfectly. I noticed that the V-shaped male on the truck connector was compressed. I spred the connector blades and also cleanup all the contacts in the trailer connector using an emery board. The brakes worked. Just as a side note, if every other function works on the trailer the same as on the other truck, I believe that only leaves two possible connections, the center and one of the outside (usually the one at the 5 O'clock position) that would be the electric brake connection.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
YakFishMo wrote:
The Ford controller does more than just apply brakes. It works in conjunction with feedback on vehicle stability and just might save your life one day in an out of control situation. If it was mine, I would get to the root of the problem and get it fixed instead of using a separate controller. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck.

I tend to agree except I'm trying not to cancel my 3rd trip now. It's frustrating when everyone I call says they can't help, etc. They all don't want to mess with the Ford OEM controller. I really don't have any faith in the Ford dealer now either, so I'm stumped really. I just want to have trailer brakes so I don't kill someone not being able to stop effectively.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

YakFishMo
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford controller does more than just apply brakes. It works in conjunction with feedback on vehicle stability and just might save your life one day in an out of control situation. If it was mine, I would get to the root of the problem and get it fixed instead of using a separate controller. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 F-350 6.7 CC DRW

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Check the settings for your controller on the 150 DIC. There should be two settings electric over hydraulic and electric. Make sure it is set at electric. Just go through the menu on the steering wheel controls.

Did that. It's set to electric.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Keep in mind I'm totally clueless with all this stuff. But hear goes.... I took a multi-meter and connected the black to the f150's ground prong and the red on the brake prong. I get a reading of .18. If I hit the brake pedal it jumps to 7.8 or so. No other prongs read anything. I tried the same thing on my Dad's GMC 1 ton and one of his prongs reads 12 volts. I guess it's reading the truck's battery. I wonder why my truck's battery doesn't show on the multi-meter? Anyway, I connected my Dad's 5th wheel plug to my truck and same thing happens. All the lights etc. work, but when I manually slide the IBC to on the pop up appears saying Trailer Disconnected.
I stopped by Etrailer.com and picked up a F150 harness for my Prodigy II controller. I think I'm going to install the Prodigy. Seems like everyone says the Ford's IBC is too fancy and wants to work with too many systems within the truck or something. I hate that I have to do this to a 2 week old truck, but I don't really have faith in the IBC.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Check the settings for your controller on the 150 DIC. There should be two settings electric over hydraulic and electric. Make sure it is set at electric. Just go through the menu on the steering wheel controls.