cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will work for Free :)

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
As most of us have in the course of our lives, We are contemplating a change of venue. We currently live in Manitoba, Canada and have been tossing around the idea of hitting the road for a couple of years to see what there is to see. We are not millionaires but live comfortably now and would have some savings to rely on to travel for a few years. We would like to extend those savings..

so.. Here's the question...

We don't want to get paid. We'd like to work for exchange of a parking space, electricity and possibly food/water if the deal permits..
We're thinking along the lines of farming, construction, renovations, yard work, house work, etc. etc. Our general labor for the purpose of seeing U.S. and Canada..

If I paint your house, I park in your yard for a week. It's harvest time, temporary work for temporary stay. We have our own sleeping quarters, transportation, etc. but just need a place to park.

Does such a Website or forum exist to connect the workers to the providers?
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚
47 REPLIES 47

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
rag-ftw wrote:
Irover wrote:
Might want to watch your Humorous sarcasms as Dianne might just pull the plug!! LOL!

You might also consider using a smiley or some other designator to identify your sarcastic humor because some of us can't pick up on it when we can't see your facial expressions. And we aren't even Canadian!:)
"I know I dream of the day I can shingle roofs in 100 degree heat and not have to compete with an illegal alien for the privilege."
You actually thought I was being serious?????
:B ๐Ÿ˜„ :C Gosh I did put a LOL--Laughing A Lot

JRoush
Explorer
Explorer
Just about all state parks use volunteers, either as campground hosts or as maintenance staff. In return for 24-30 hours per week they will offer a free campsite. Some will have full hook ups some will have water and electric. My wife and I have been traveling this way for 6 years now. I will usually call the park in the area where we want to travel to and talk with the volunteer coordinator. It will vary from state to state or even park to park within a state. If you have a particular skill that is usually a plus. Most parks will want 1-6 month commitment but most will be flexible. Another site is www.volunteer.gov this one will be mostly with federal agencies and the jobs will vary greatly. Always call to see what amenities are available and determine what is necessary for you. write out a list of what you require, wifi, cell phone service, local tv or cable. Ask all your questions up front and you'll be less likely to be disappointed upon arrival.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
Ok..I haven't corked this yet...but getting close

No need I give up!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Ok..I haven't corked this yet...but getting close
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
rag-ftw wrote:
Irover wrote:
Might want to watch your Humorous sarcasms as Dianne might just pull the plug!! LOL!

You might also consider using a smiley or some other designator to identify your sarcastic humor because some of us can't pick up on it when we can't see your facial expressions. And we aren't even Canadian!:)
"I know I dream of the day I can shingle roofs in 100 degree heat and not have to compete with an illegal alien for the privilege."
You actually thought I was being serious?????

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Irover wrote:

2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

Irover
Explorer
Explorer

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Before I retired our freight terminal in Seattle opened up in Vancouver Canada. It is common practice in our industry to let employees follow the work. They (meaning Canada) would not let us work in Canada unless we could prove something we did was "proprietary" or a "trade secret". P.S. Peddling freight is not much of a secret.

So no, don't let them work here, period.

First couple years the Vancouver freight bound for Portland OR wound up in Portland alright, Portland Maine.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
Forget I asked :).

We have some Canadians that have the same deserving attitude in their life. The problem is those individuals don't realize that the foreign workers didn't STEAL their menial jobs. Those "people like the OP" received those jobs because the local "deserving" Americans won't lower themselves to do them.

Someone has to break their back so you can enjoy your fruit cocktails. At least I offered to help around the yard:). What a disappointing result to a simple question. Don't worry, I'll stay in Canada, at least for the next four years.
Sorry our laws don't meet your standards. If the only reason you won't visit the US is because some people on the internet pointed out you would technically be breaking the law if you worked you probably should stay put. And if you don't understand sarcasm, you probably wouldn't enjoy the company of many Americans, we tend to be a sarcastic lot.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
rag-ftw wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:

... Don't worry, I'll stay in Canada, at least for the next four years.

Now I will have to hire some illegal foreign national to help around my place because I can't find any Americans that want to work and you have run off my chance at free Canadian labor!

LOL.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:

... Don't worry, I'll stay in Canada, at least for the next four years.

Well, westernrvparkowner are you happy now? There's several thousand dollars in food, fuel, and entertainment expense some deserving Americans won't get! But at least those law breakers won't be staying in someone's RV park for free, or on my farm for that matter!!

Also I suggest you read his last post very carefully. He makes some VERY good points about many American workers and their desire to remain on government handouts rather than do an honest days work.

Now I will have to hire some illegal foreign national to help around my place because I can't find any Americans that want to work and you have run off my chance at free Canadian labor!
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer

We have some Canadians that have the same deserving attitude in their life. The problem is those individuals don't realize that the foreign workers didn't STEAL their menial jobs. Those "people like the OP" received those jobs because the local "deserving" Americans won't lower themselves to do them.

Someone has to break their back so you can enjoy your fruit cocktails. At least I offered to help around the yard:). What a disappointing result to a simple question. Don't worry, I'll stay in Canada, at least for the next four years.

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Naio wrote:
I don't think that work trades violate minimum wage laws, unless the work required is valued higher than what is received in trade.

And most places evade the issue by calling it volunteering. I would guess it is legal to accept foreigners as volunteers.
The employer would be required to report the value of what is received as income. Depending upon the situation, it would either be on a W-2 or a 1099. You can't pick and choose what laws you like and don't like.
Like I said, these laws are ignored and circumvented daily. But all those politicians and people screaming illegal immigrants are stealing American jobs are really pointing directly at the OP and those like them. On an individual basis, it sure seems fine and dandy to everyone, but when looked at through the broad lens it becomes a political football.

IMHO - you must have a US work permit or green card. Work kamper employers are required to report your "earnings" to IRS!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse