cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window Tint

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone experienced any problems with window tinting as it relates to seeing tow mirrors safely and rear view mirror visibility? What about night driving with side, rear, and front windows tinted?

Our brutal Texas summers towing in July and August are about to convince me and my wife that our AC needs help on our beloved old truck on long trips. I have a 2002 Ford SuperCrew diesel which has a lot of cab area to have to cool.

Any input from those who have completely tinted their truck and tow will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
You want a good quality tint that blocks the UV light and heat. Just because a tint is dark does not mean it will block the heat better then a lighter tint. I have a 30% tint on the driver and passenger side front windows that has a 55% heat rejection. I have no problem seeing my tow mirrors or street signs at night. Federal law regulates the rear windows darkness. State law regulates the front windows darkness. This is you why you can get a dark factory tint on the rear right and left window of most trucks. The factory tint is legal in all 50 states. I added a light tint to the factory tinted windows for better heat rejection. I also tinted my sunroof. When I park my vehicle I use a sunshade on the front window which really helps keep my vehicle cool and protects my dash from the sun.
For any RV a good quality window tint would work out nice.
My window tint also reduces head light glare that reflects off my mirrors at night.
I use a 3m product.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Just outta state plate revenue collectors.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've been driving since 1958 and never been stopped for a window tint check.....till Utah state trooper got me on I-80 through Park City.....twice.
First time was in 2015 in the wifes 2010 Impala with a tint strip at the top of the wind shield. Trooper was nice and says why he stopped me. Had a look to see if the tint extended below the AS-1 line marks on the wind shield.
Second time was in the same exact spot on I-80/Park City...different trooper. We were in the wifes new 2016 1500 chevy with my states legal tint on the drivers/passengers window.
Both times they checked the tint with some type of pockets measuring device.
No tickets and trooper says have fun while your in Utah.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Nissan Titan with tint on the driver's window. At night the dash lights would reflect off the window and make it difficult to use the mirror.

I was driving on I-90 near spokane when I was overtaken by a nice Suburban with a completely blacked out windshield. I thought "What an idiot". He was pulled over another 10 miles up the road. Could have been for speeding. His rig did look cool and stealthy.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Super_Dave wrote:
My windows are a bronze colored glass but I wouldn't classify them as tinted in the respect that they reflect heat. In fact, they may even absorb more heat because of the color.

Tint those sum beatches then! It's not magic but it helps.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
In Texas, it's 20% on the driver and passenger side windows only. Anything behind that is legal. Had F-150 with the factory tinted windows. Put limo tint on top of that. Made for a cooler interior without too much visibility problems.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My windows are a bronze colored glass but I wouldn't classify them as tinted in the respect that they reflect heat. In fact, they may even absorb more heat because of the color.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Can anyone speak to doing it on the RV windows? Our 5th wheel is a hot box and contemplating window tinting or awnings.

Our last 2 TTโ€™s cane with tinted windows. And our current MH has tinted windows. I wanted to do the front driver and passenger. But I had read that with thermal pane windows you donโ€™t want to tint them. As the tint will reflect back into the glass, heat up the gas in between and pop a seal. I canโ€™t verify that will happen, but I donโ€™t want to take a chance!

So if you have thermal panes I would say donโ€™t do it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bedlam
Two of my RV's had polarized windows that help reflect the sun and offer some privacy when darker inside. Two of my RV's also have had dual pane windows - These insulated from external temperatures and also noise. My current RV has both.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone speak to doing it on the RV windows? Our 5th wheel is a hot box and contemplating window tinting or awnings.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bedlam
Front side window tint is very restricted in my NW area due to reduced visibility during darkness and rain. It makes more sense in the sunbelt where you have less of these conditions, but it will reduce your visibility even in ideal conditions.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pitch wrote:
I have neve seen an aftermarket tint hold up. Within several years of heat cold moisture it will begin to bubble.
As mention above dark windows are cop magnets,even a tint legal in your state may have you sitting on the side of the road in another.

You just need to not be cheap on the tint.
14 year old truck tinted since new, and like new.
34 year old truck tinted...a long time I presume, based on the condition of it. No issues with it peeling or discoloring.

Agree, northern and NE states tint is a great excuse to get pulled over. Grew up in upper midwest.
Down south and out west/southwest, cops don't care. It's normal.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the input, everyone. I have been looking at a high quality ceramic tint, that has a VLT (visual light transmission) above 70 percent. Much lighter than other tints. Ceramic is higher priced, but I have learned, as a rule, one usually gets what one pays for.

My research on the web indicates ceramic tint is best for the heat rejection, does not fade, and has the best durability. I suspect, as mentioned, skill of the tint shop and their reputation as a business is mighty important.

At our age, wife and I do not tow or travel at night, unless we are forced to in an emergency situation. Then tint VLT percentage might come into play, I suspect.

Again, thank everyone for their comments. This is a great forum that truly has some helpful members like you all.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be careful because there are a lot of tint shops out there that will put whatever you want on the windows, not necessarily what's legal.

In other words they won't tell you the shade that you fell in love with is too dark.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.