cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

windshield trauma

gitchermotorrun
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a a windshield crack going over speed bumps in an RV park? I've never seen speed bumps inside an rv park until we visited here in S. Austin. These things are (measured) six inches tall. We had to negotiate a 90 degree turn with very little room to swing into the turn. I crawled over the first and "boom" the driver side windshield cracked in two dozen cracks. RV Park refuses to admit to the damage it did to my motorhome and now not only do I need to fork over for a new belt I needed anyway and a delay to fix a brake recall repair, I now have to fork over more days of stay here until my new piece of glass gets here and the 250 deductible I didn't count on either.

I will be leaving a scathing review for this place when it's all said and done and I told the management that. His reaction to that was "do what you think you need to do, but threatening to pass on how bad it is here won't fix anything." "I've never heard of a windshield cracking from going over a speed bump." And I have never seen the need for speed bumps to this degree in an RV park. I'm wondering now when I explain the "cause" of the damage if the insurer won't go after them for the liability, not to mention the sad ass customer service.

One other thing while I'm in the whining mood. I'm really getting tired of the trash and the no vacancies created by oilfield workers at "RV" parks all across the oil belt.

I also contacted the manufacturer and ask why this would happen. And you guessed it, no help there.

Customer service in this country is really begun to stink everywhere ya go.
63 REPLIES 63

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
gitchermotorrunnin' wrote:
"I was going to ignore your post until you came back"," If you are thin skin, don't read the thread." "However, you are not entitled to control the opinions or posts of others"

Well, I guess you could use some of your own advice. Right? Even if you've been here since the dawn of time itself.

I am not crying about what others say. I'm not asking for censorship because my little feelings are hurt. I'm not insulting people with snide remarks. I looked back at the posts and didn't see where anyone called you names.

And to top it off you even threw in a snarky comment in your reply to me and others. Stuff like that gets you a rep for being a troll. Not good.

You are free to post on any topic that you see fit. I welcome the debate and all input from others, good, bad or indifferent. I was just in the background, along for the ride, because threads that start off like yours did can get pretty amusing. And you did not disappoint.:) You are not free to be insulting with those that do not agree with you, and then beg the mods to closed or delete the post because no one agrees with you.

I will offer this: Censorship is a two edge sword. I suggest that you stop assaulting others because they don't like you or your ideas, before you are banned from posting. Take in what you want, leave the rest, and move on.

God, I am starting to sound like a moderator. LOL
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

gitchermotorrun
Explorer
Explorer
"I was going to ignore your post until you came back"," If you are thin skin, don't read the thread." "However, you are not entitled to control the opinions or posts of others"

Well, I guess you could use some of your own advice. Right? Even if you've been here since the dawn of time itself.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
When I joined this forum there were lots of folks willing to take the info and provide some guidance and links to help their fellow RVers out. But it seems it is becoming a trash pit of Craigslist style rant and ravers.

Wow, you jump on this thread ranting about it being uncivil. I was going to ignore your post until you came back and the lashed out a couple of more times, hurling pejoratives at those that disagree with you, in order to get the mode to close the thread. :M

First off, the moderators do a good job here. Their job is to make sure that the rules are followed, not to interpret the opinions of others, or to be someone's personal sensor.

I have been here a lot longer than you have, posted more than you have, had more posts deleted than you have, and the only time I become outraged is when someone wants to stifle opinion by trying to get the moderators to invoke censorship so that they can feel better.

This is a public forum, no different than any street corner. You come, climb your soapbox and say your piece. Then you get down and be prepared to receive your kudos or your brickbats. If you are thin skin, don't read the thread. You are entitled to reply with your opinion or disregard what you find as "trash pit" posts. However, you are not entitled to control the opinions or posts of others by invoking a surrogate.

Life's tough. Wear a cup
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have quoted the OP in case you forgot how you started this thread.

You admitted that you are whining and you also blame everyone except yourself for everything that has happened.

You should know your rig and it's weaknesses.

You, gitchermotorrunnin, set the tone of the thread. The absurdity of leaving a bad review of the campground due to your troubles is, was, and will be over the top.

You also complain about oil workers taking up space where you want to park, get over yourself, you are not that special.

Anyone have a a windshield crack going over speed bumps in an RV park? I've never seen speed bumps inside an rv park until we visited here in S. Austin. These things are (measured) six inches tall. We had to negotiate a 90 degree turn with very little room to swing into the turn. I crawled over the first and "boom" the driver side windshield cracked in two dozen cracks. RV Park refuses to admit to the damage it did to my motorhome and now not only do I need to fork over for a new belt I needed anyway and a delay to fix a brake recall repair, I now have to fork over more days of stay here until my new piece of glass gets here and the 250 deductible I didn't count on either.

I will be leaving a scathing review for this place when it's all said and done and I told the management that. His reaction to that was "do what you think you need to do, but threatening to pass on how bad it is here won't fix anything." "I've never heard of a windshield cracking from going over a speed bump." And I have never seen the need for speed bumps to this degree in an RV park. I'm wondering now when I explain the "cause" of the damage if the insurer won't go after them for the liability, not to mention the sad ass customer service.

One other thing while I'm in the whining mood. I'm really getting tired of the trash and the no vacancies created by oilfield workers at "RV" parks all across the oil belt.

I also contacted the manufacturer and ask why this would happen. And you guessed it, no help there.

Customer service in this country is really begun to stink everywhere ya go.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gitchermotorrun
Explorer
Explorer
done.

gitchermotorrun
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
gitchermotorrunnin wrote:
So, don't set there in your mother's basement and type up "opinions" about something you have obviously no experience in or with

You're concerned about the tone of the replies to your thread but you add in something like above?

The poster states he has stayed at that same campground and hasn't found it to be anything but good.

Thank you for reading his post and interpreting it for me. I am totally unable to do that for myself and I come to this forum just so I can be a target for mental midgets. After all, opinions really do fix problems don't they? (not)

I find it difficult to believe he has stayed "at that same campground" when I never mentioned the name of it anywhere in this forum. Another assumption drawn just slam and belittle.

I hit back.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
gitchermotorrunnin wrote:
So, don't set there in your mother's basement and type up "opinions" about something you have obviously no experience in or with

You're concerned about the tone of the replies to your thread but you add in something like above?

The poster states he has stayed at that same campground and hasn't found it to be anything but good.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gitchermotorrun
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
Speed bumps do not crack windshields. If you had chips in your windshield then a crack will start from the chip from vibration or bumps, Get the chips fixed when they occur and you wont have a problem. Motorhome frames can "twist" when you go over uneven terrain which can crack windshields. Talk to your rv manufacturer about the problem. I have stayed at the park in question and it was a great place to stay, I would never blame them for problems that they were not responsible for.

Speed bumps "DO" crack.......and pop windshields. The manufacturer says it's rare but happens with this coach. The glass installer says it has happened. The dealership says it's happened there. And I say it happens, because my perfect windshield did split severely on this speed bump. No rock chips, just severely torquing of the chasis and opposing twist of the coach. This MH is unique in that it has over sized windows all the way around and numerous ones at that, plus it has two full wall slides 27' long. And that is two reasons we purchased it. But I've now learned to take extreme measures and care not to let this coach twist again in similar situations. It is what it is.

So, don't set there in your mother's basement and type up "opinions" about something you have obviously no experience in or with.

This park has nothing but bad reviews from those that have actually stayed there. And the owners don't care or else they would take the info and make the necessary improvements (like removing the unnecessary speed bumps).

I will say this though, the dealership did a great job getting the factory recall work done honestly, correctly and timely and spotting other problems I wasn't aware of that could have cost me alot more down the road. And the service director gave us a break on the labor costs we wracked up while there. I will recommend them to others when I have the chance. Now, we are at our destination for the summer and life is good, despite the gremlins we met along the way.

gitchermotorrun
Explorer
Explorer
milo wrote:
OP, glad you got it straightened out. Noticed lately that allot of threads are becoming nothing but a means for bashing & ridiculing the OP's for whatever they may ask if they disagree with or can't give an intelligent answer. Instead of trying to help or ignoring it, the elite know-it-alls (think they do) gotta bash & trash. Does no one any good. JOMO.

I've noticed a lot of this type of behavior recently in this forum. When I joined this forum there were lots of folks willing to take the info and provide some guidance and links to help their fellow RVers out. But it seems it is becoming a trash pit of Craigslist style rant and ravers.

The single most annoying behavior comes from those that don't read and understand what the gist of the post is or even care. And we have met a few of these spoilers in RV parks across the US. Too bad. But it is nice to be able to pack up, and find a more inviting environment. I've also noticed a lot of RV parks have gone to the dogs.....literally, where owners just don't care about the comfort and concerns of their clients. I've noticed quite a few have gone to having you sign disclaimers to erase all possible liabilities against them. This is not good. But it is a sign of the times as America moves more into the realm of lacking accountability for ones own actions. But that's life, it changes and ya gotta adjust or be swallowed. However, for me, I still retain the right to lash out at the injustices no matter how acceptable they have become to some.

I fully understand how unbelievable it may be that a windshield will crack or sometimes even pop out of it's frame going over speed bumps or pot holes. But it isn't a license for the mental midgets to accost the poster. This event has been a vast learning experience for me and the wife, with a good outcome.

Several of the friends that I made in here are unfortunately gone and some because of the offensive posts.

We are in our third year of full timing and it is a constant learning process. Some events like the week we had, starting with that park and it's shortcomings really sours the experience. I've lent my experiences to posters that have questions about things I am knowledgeable about, but never throwing insults or an opinion where it isn't welcome.

Perhaps a little tighter control by the Moderators would bring this site back to civility and fun it once was and was intended to provide. I find tons of information and have made some wonderful contacts from this website.

And I may have failed in this post to thank those that helped calm the rage and provided much needed info for a very odd subject.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, glad you got it straightened out. Noticed lately that allot of threads are becoming nothing but a means for bashing & ridiculing the OP's for whatever they may ask if they disagree with or can't give an intelligent answer. Instead of trying to help or ignoring it, the elite know-it-alls (think they do) gotta bash & trash. Does no one any good. JOMO.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

jessjerr1831
Explorer
Explorer
Strange but true. Drove over a speed bump in a shopping center. Drivers side ball joint broke, tire sitting at a 45 degree angle. There was a tire place right there so maybe they had something to do with it? I think not but it made it easier and quicker to get it fixed. Just really glad it didn't break driving down the road at 65 mph.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate speed bumps. A six inch speed bump, in an RV park? haven't seen many Prevost or anybody else drag racing through one.
We've had things shaken, onto the floor, taking these things at a diagonal. Tried the diagonal because we thought it would be easier.
Had the underneath of an SLK nearly destroyed by speed bumps.
Seen some Corvettes and others damaged by them. They have increased the width or front to back measurement of some speed bumps. There are a number of them around here showing deep gouges and scrapes from MHs and other vehicles.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not trying to be a jerk but photos that would match your description do carry weight, especially if you need help and not trying to look like you are bashing the park/mfg.

I would be upset too however but there may have been a pinch point adding stress to one area of the window that was unseen compounded by taking the bumps. I try to hit bumps slowly and sometimes you cannot see them until they are too late.

There are FAQ's on how to post photos, I use photo bucket as the host for mine.

Glad to hear you have a sympathetic ear, maybe you will get some assistance and permanent fix to the window installation.

Yes, I would still like to see the speed bump.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Speed bumps do not crack windshields. If you had chips in your windshield then a crack will start from the chip from vibration or bumps, Get the chips fixed when they occur and you wont have a problem. Motorhome frames can "twist" when you go over uneven terrain which can crack windshields. Talk to your rv manufacturer about the problem. I have stayed at the park in question and it was a great place to stay, I would never blame them for problems that they were not responsible for.
HR