cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnebago roof

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
So big winds here in the northeast last few weeks took the roof off of my 1992 winnebago Brave 22'. After much research I advised of the materials $3,000. That's crazy. I have been in construction for 40 years for an area 8'x20' the adhesives alone are $1,800. I know if I go to the unsuitable company they will total it and make me very unhappy.. the problem is the laminated roof. My thought is treat it out and put in 2x roof joists, insulation and plywood. We re talking 14 2x6x8'.. $100 for lumber, $200 for insulation and $150 for plywood and some kind of .. that's along ways from $3k..

Has anyone done this
3 REPLIES 3

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you saying the entire roof came off? Or just the rubber membrane?Anything you buy at a lumber place won't be lite weight!
And $3k sounds right for materials!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flyfisherman128 wrote:
So big winds here in the northeast last few weeks took the roof off of my 1992 winnebago Brave 22'. After much research I advised of the materials $3,000. That's crazy. I have been in construction for 40 years for an area 8'x20' the adhesives alone are $1,800. I know if I go to the unsuitable company they will total it and make me very unhappy.. the problem is the laminated roof. My thought is treat it out and put in 2x roof joists, insulation and plywood. We re talking 14 2x6x8'.. $100 for lumber, $200 for insulation and $150 for plywood and some kind of .. that's along ways from $3k..

Has anyone done this

You haven't priced lumber lately?

2x6x8ft is going for $15 per stick right now.. $210 just in 2x6's, 1/2" 4x8 sheets of plywood are going for $55 each, haven't looked at insulation but if it like all of the other building products it will be a min of 3 times the cost you were used to..

$3K in materials alone would be right on the mark right now not including labor..

But keep in mind, RVs are not built using 2x6 anywhere, roof trusses are typically made of 1x2s, 1x3s or so.. 2x6 adds a lot of weight without adding much strength since RVs use a sandwich construction method.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not done it but if you have the skills, I see no reason it should not work out fine. I don't think the additional weight would be a problem.
I would go for it!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine