cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WWYD--F350 or LC?

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dilemma. Three weeks from now I'm leaving on an 8-week excursion to southern Utah and the San Juan Mts in Colorado. In round numbers, it's about 1000 miles just to get there from my home in Texas. My F350 tows my +/- 6500 lb. Arctic Fox like its on autopilot; my Land Cruiser is merely adequate and was never made for towing, even though it has a rating of 8500 lbs. Elevations will range from 1500 ft. to about 11,000 ft. while towing.

I have reservations in Zion, Cedar Breaks, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point, Arches, and a couple of places in Colorado, with at-large boondocking in between.

The thing is, I'm doing the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands, Molas Pass in Colorado, the Last Dollar Road and anything else that piques my interest and comports with my abilities. For this, the Land Cruiser is a dream--and the whole reason I bought it. In its place, the F350 would merely schlump along, where able, and batter my kidneys.

So Which Would You Drive: the F350 for ease of travel, or the Land Cruiser for sport once you've arrived?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11 REPLIES 11

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd make my decision based on the overall condition & reliability of each vehicle. But remember that off-road driving can break things that you don't expect (BTDT, several times); which vehicle is this more likely to happen to, and which is easier to get fixed in such a place?

Jim, "a good scapegoat is almost as good as a solution."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely take the F350. We stay in the San Juan mountains most of the summer. I have an old Jeep Liberty and wife will just follow me. You could spend the money to tow behind RV, but we don't use enough gas to spend on all the hook up equipment. Love towing with my F350.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO the safety and capability while towing outweighs the comfort on the other end, but I do understand where you are coming from. You yourself stated the LC is not built for towing. That should answer your question right there. Two thoughts if you don't mind spending some extra money:

1. Can you do anything to the F350 in advance to make it a more comfortable ride? Shocks, springs, whatever.
2. Are there car rental agencies where you can rent a Jeep or other 4x4 in the areas where you will want one? This would require a little extra coordination and a few more bucks but is it worth investigating?

Safety first comfort later.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of the route you're taking to get to Zion etc, but a factor to consider is winds. While your AF is not the same as a big-a** fifth wheel, I suspect the winds in West Texas will still impact the tow.....and might be enough to make it pretty difficult with the LC.

I'd take the 350 if it were me....but one of my personal quirks is that I just don't like to be marginal on towing and would happily trade a bit rougher ride at the destination for either real or imagined over-capacity when towing.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Tough decision... The LC will be a lot easier on the kidneys once you hit the destination, while the F-350 will provide an easier tow, but not as friendly when 4x4-ing it.

In that situation, I'd check with the dealer to see if the LC can handle the towing (perhaps making sure you have a transmission cooler), and go with the LC. I'd have to be careful with towing, especially at higher elevations... but once the rig is in place, bouncing around the terrain in a true off-road vehicle will be a lot more fun. Life is short... might as well use the LC to its fullest on a month long vacation.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want to get 1,000 miles from home with a sick.0, even a "bullet-proofed" one.. So take the LC ๐Ÿ™‚

In all seriousness the LC can do the job, just not nearly as well as the F-350. I would load the TT carefully, check your weights on a scale and hit the trails in the LC.

The LC is still a big heavy rig, but is going to be more nimble than the F-350.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The AF is withing the LC's tow rating but those TTs are known for heavy tongue weights and will likely put you over the GVWR on the LC. The 350 is a SRW not a dually so should be OK on the trails.

If it was me it's 350 all the way. You can't have too much truck with the winds and grades out West.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
F 350 is not taxed near as much as the Land Cruiser .
For that reason the F 350 is not using up as much of it's useful life as the LC .
The F 350 is less likely to overheat the tranny or the brakes .
If you overheat the tranny in the LC you get to rebuild it .
If you overheat the brakes on the LC you get to replace the rotors due to warping .
An extreme example but applicable .
The F 350 will allow a heavier tongue weight .
Heavy tongue weight mitigates / eliminates trailer sway .
No trailer sway saves your life when you go too fast into an unexpected curve .
An extreme example but applicable .

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
LC. 1,000 miles is only a couple of easy days each way. So for 4 days you'll prefer the truck and for 52 days you'll prefer the LC.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
LC - sounds like enough truck to pull that size AF so why take the monster truck?
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companionโ„ข 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

DanAndJamie
Explorer
Explorer
Can you tow the Land cruiser behind the camper? Looking at the wewight of your trailer you might have plenty of room with your F350, unless I'm missing something. Best of both worlds??
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.0 ltr gasser
2011 Keystone Outback 230RS
2 - Genuine Buddy 125 Scooters for fun