cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yea, "cheap gas"

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
People are increasingly driving larger lower MPG vehicles and not cars I guess partly because they perceive gas to be cheap. Really. I don't think it's ever been cheap to keep fuel in a motor vehicle do you? Even as low as $2 something per gallon it can easily cost $50/week and much more. Not cheap to me. I think we've been tricked to be happy now because for awhile it was around $4. Also, who knows what it will cost in 1 year, 8 years? No one. I do have a motor home but my car will continue to be a compact that gets over 30 MPG.
Jayco-noslide
100 REPLIES 100

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Down to $3.19 in Komifornia
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

NDTRAVELS
Explorer
Explorer
1.94 in Fargo ND

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
$2.03 for 87 octane here in TN yesterday (with rewards card.)

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

Are the people smaller in the rest of the world so they fit in smaller cars easier?

Thy buy smaller because big brother says they will penalize those that don't.

They buy smaller cars because they are more fuel efficient in countries where gasoline is $4-$7 per Gallon. They are also cheaper to buy initially.

As for "Big Brother". In China the best selling car for years was the biggest Buick made (and it was made in a factory in China) And Ford Motor is looking at a very big new Lincoln Continental for sale in China. In actual terms Big Brothers don't all have the same agenda.

There is also the widespread belief that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than US made ones. Thus the Toyota (any Toyota) is the most favored car in Thailand and Cambodia and in many many other countries.

Simplistic ideas of what motivates people are rarely accurate.

The fuel price is just the club used in Europe to force people to buy small cars. You are making a totally unsubstantiated claim that people "want" fuel efficient cars. They want cars they can afford and the govt has tried to make larger cars unaffordable.

The China example is outdated and misleading. It was from back before China went capitalist and the only people who could get cars were wealthy party officials...they weren't paying so it didn't matter what the price of fuel was. Current sales are heavily skewed toward tiny cars because you have people making $8-10k/yr wanting to buy cars.

Speaking of Thailand and the original comment about are people smaller...just went there last October and yes, they are smaller. I felt like a giant walking around Bangkok. Also there average income is around $400USD per month...back when we were living in a house and commuting, we spent that much just on gas...we have no idea if they "want" a Buick. The issue is they can't afford a Buick.

I am sorry but I don't know how much time you have spent in Asia or China or Europe but you really have some things just inaccurate.

I lived in SE Asia for more than 7 years, I have also lived in Europe. I have been in every major city in China and did business there for years.

My example is from a time when there were MILLIONS of cars in Beijing alone and only a small share driven by party officials. A time when in cities that most Americans didnt know exist had Prada stores, Ferrari dealerships and Average working folks were able to buy houses and apartments. Most Americans ideas of China are dated and frankly not in line with reality. (My time in China? 2000 thru to just this past year)

Just this summer I spent 4 months in Europe mostly driving. Large sedans especially the big Audis are insanely popular as are Station Wagons. All European car makers make large cars and they sell very well. All European models (except RR, Bentley and of course cars like Ferrari) get VASTLY better fuel mileage than similar sized US cars so they are cheaper to operate there than here in the US.

But you are correct that for some, perhaps many the price of gas is a factor...But so is the almost complete lack of PARKING and finding a space to park a Smart Car is a lot easier than the MB station wagon if you live in one of Europes larger towns or cities.

As for Thailand I am afraid you have a tourists view of it. This is from the World Bank:

"Over the last four decades, Thailand has made remarkable progress in social and economic development, moving from a low-income country to an upper-income country in less than a generation. As such, Thailand has been one of the widely cited development success stories, with sustained strong growth and impressive poverty reduction, particularly in the 1980s."

And this:

"Poverty declined substantially over the last 30 years from 67% in 1986 to 7.1% in 2015 during periods of high growth and rising agricultural prices."

What this means is that Thailand has a healthy, educated middle class that has money to spend and there are Millions of them. It is true that 80% of the country's poor live in rural areas but they are not nearly as poor as they were ten years ago..

Another thing helping Thailand is the movement of factories from China looking to decrease labor costs. Thus increasing employment, reducing poverty and creating economic growth. (This is what I did in China helping set up companies with new locations in other countries)

Also while American cars are generally not widely appreciated in Asia the FCA Jeep line is popular. However the tariffs on US cars is steeper than some. But they are the same for European cars there too.

So I am sorry but I still see most of what you relate as simplistic and not really in line with the facts. My experience tells me a different story.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
temccarthy1 wrote:
After spending a month in Canada this fall pulling my TT for 2000 miles and getting 9.5 MPG,I will never complain about prices of gas in NJ again since I averaged 1.29-1.35 per liter of regular gas in Canada which amounts to about $5 a US gallon! I hit new records in my Expedition for cost of a fill up-- $120- $127 each fill up!
Appreciate the fact that our gas prices in the US average HALF of Canada's per gallon!

Nope. Canada has its own currency. You converted litres to gallons but forgot to do the currency conversion.

1.29 per litre is 3.68 USD per US gallon.

In our hometown gas is 1.22 or about 3.48 USD per US gallon.

In our Old hometown (in ALberta) its around 99 cents per litre. or about 2.82 USD per US gallon.

Cheers

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
After spending a month in Canada this fall pulling my TT for 2000 miles and getting 9.5 MPG,I will never complain about prices of gas in NJ again since I averaged 1.29-1.35 per liter of regular gas in Canada which amounts to about $5 a US gallon! I hit new records in my Expedition for cost of a fill up-- $120- $127 each fill up!
Appreciate the fact that our gas prices in the US average HALF of Canada's per gallon!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I saw $3.25 for regular today here in Komifornia.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Last time I checked 2 gallons of gas was less than $5, and two burger baskets is around $12, which leaves "money left over for two ice cream cones.".

You need to shop around for your burgers.

That $25 will be taxed and there will be nothing left over.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Stop & Shop/Shell fuel rewards card. It gets me 5 cents off a gallon up to 20 gallons. I save a buck.

Does White Castle still have 10 cent burgers?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

Are the people smaller in the rest of the world so they fit in smaller cars easier?

Thy buy smaller because big brother says they will penalize those that don't.

They buy smaller cars because they are more fuel efficient in countries where gasoline is $4-$7 per Gallon. They are also cheaper to buy initially.

As for "Big Brother". In China the best selling car for years was the biggest Buick made (and it was made in a factory in China) And Ford Motor is looking at a very big new Lincoln Continental for sale in China. In actual terms Big Brothers don't all have the same agenda.

There is also the widespread belief that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than US made ones. Thus the Toyota (any Toyota) is the most favored car in Thailand and Cambodia and in many many other countries.

Simplistic ideas of what motivates people are rarely accurate.

The fuel price is just the club used in Europe to force people to buy small cars. You are making a totally unsubstantiated claim that people "want" fuel efficient cars. They want cars they can afford and the govt has tried to make larger cars unaffordable.

The China example is outdated and misleading. It was from back before China went capitalist and the only people who could get cars were wealthy party officials...they weren't paying so it didn't matter what the price of fuel was. Current sales are heavily skewed toward tiny cars because you have people making $8-10k/yr wanting to buy cars.

Speaking of Thailand and the original comment about are people smaller...just went there last October and yes, they are smaller. I felt like a giant walking around Bangkok. Also there average income is around $400USD per month...back when we were living in a house and commuting, we spent that much just on gas...we have no idea if they "want" a Buick. The issue is they can't afford a Buick.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a rewards card, it just depends on how much you hate being tracked by the corporations.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I really have to ask, does anyone use fuel rewards to lower their gas prices? I mean if you're traveling with an RV that doesn't exactly get stellar gas mileage, and you know your going to use lots of fuel, how come you're not doing what you can to lower the price from full price? I got just over 30 gallons in Oakland CA yesterday for about $72. Do the math; I didn't pay full price!
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
yep, we get scalped really bad by the local bay area gas station cartel. I did see 3.05 tonight though.
Jay D.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just filled up on the way home from picking up the great-granddaughter and paid $1.99/gallon, which is what all the stations were showing.

And Sonic shows a Double Cheeseburger Combo, which includes fries and a drink for $5.99. Guess stuff just cost more out there.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
That's less than 2.50 a gal how can they do it! the cheapest gas here today is 3.10 that's 6.10 for gas and 12.80 for the burgers. you won't get much of a burger here for 6.40. maybe a burger but they will hold the meat.
Jay D.