Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
138 REPLIES 138

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
I buy gas all over Oregon and have never had a problem, all you have to do is just ask could you please fill it to the top.
Jay D.

x2. About a 3rd of the time I get asked.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You know.. I never really thought of this before.

But if you are not allowed to pump your own gas, that means that pump jockeys have jobs. Minimum wage perhaps, but still Jobs.

And today in the USA, there are not enough jobs and fewer every month as jobs are shipped offshore.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
OP... I see what you did there with the title of this topic...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
I buy gas all over Oregon and have never had a problem, all you have to do is just ask could you please fill it to the top.
Jay D.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate having to gas up any more often than necessary, and the Oregon station attendants invariably never fill my tanks up completely:

1. Our motorhome will take ~5 more gallons after gas pumps stop.
2. Our pickup truck will take ~4 more gallons after gas pumps stop.
3. Our sedan will take ~1.6 more gallons afterr the gas pumps stop.

So ..... if I can pump my own gas I can stand there and carefully trickle-fill each vehicle up to their true full capacity (which attendants won't do) so that I don't have to stop for gas so often.

Or ..... in the case of our motorhome ..... I'll have ~5 more gallons in the main tank as a safety margin for such things as running the Onan generator longer before hitting 1/4 full on the main tank when boondocking out in the middle of nowhere. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

babock
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:

BUT its ok to put a rifle in a teenagers hands and send him into combat.
Jay D.
LOL...that took a left turn!

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Isaac-1 wrote:
There were some interesting takes on it, but mostly it seemed to be a cultural thing, the attitude of the locals was it gives the teen age kids a place to work, many of them had worked pumping gas themselves as a first job while growing up, and many had kids that did so. So while on one hand they see it as wasteful, on the other they see it as generating a steady supply of easy fairly safe first jobs for their kids.

Sure, just what I want, teenage kids banging and scraping gas nozzles on my vehicles.

BUT its ok to put a rifle in a teenagers hands and send him into combat.
Jay D.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Oregon gas prices tend to be lower than neighboring self serve states despite having higher tax rates - go figure.
Oregon gas taxes are lower than both CA and Washington

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
My first job was in a gas station, pumping gas in ice & snow in the winter and 90+ deg heat in the summer. I am perfectly happy to let someone else do that for me now. Pumping me own gas in the rain is no bonus to me.
Dave

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
In order to pump your own gas in "rural" Oregon the gas pumps have to accept credit/debit card payments(many have never been updated) and the station has to be willing to participate in self service. Don't expect that all Oregon "rural" fuel facilities will allow you to pump your own gas, as most currently do not.

With respect to diesel, some stations are only "self service", while others won't allow it(station owner decision).
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
Oregon is a big strange but some would argue that your ultimate gas price is determined by the distributors and tax authorities and not by the minimum wage earned by gas attendants --- goes against the basic econ rules we learned 40+ years ago but "free market" ain't so free when there are limited number of distributors.

Oregon laws remain in effect because everytime someone tries to overturn the the law people point out that the gas in nearby states is usually higher than Oregon.

Basic economic rules would dictate that the wages and other associated costs for maintaining employees get passed down to the consumer. I find it hard to beleive there are many gas station operators in Oregon or anywhere else that provide that service out of the goodness of their own heart, and on their own dime. There is not much of a profit margin on fuel at the retail level to begin with, which is why the vast majority of gas stations are now convenience stores.

Yep - but basic economic rules require free market and that doesn't exist in the distribution chain in Oregon and many other states. Oregon gas prices tend to be lower than neighboring self serve states despite having higher tax rates - go figure.
Kevin

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I simply don't like the thought of some yokel bureaucrat tell me I'm not smart enough to operate a gas pump.

Maybe they know something.

I'm certain they believe they do.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Those whining about the "nanny state" might be interested to know that gas station owners, not bureaucrats, were the driving force behind not allowing customers to pump their own.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2018/01/actually_oregons_ban_on_self-p.html

Let us first deal with the actual change in the law, originally put in place in 1951 for a number of reasons. It created jobs, was billed as a safety measure and as a way to keep older petrol patrons from having to inconvenience themselves at the pump.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Those whining about the "nanny state" might be interested to know that gas station owners, not bureaucrats, were the driving force behind not allowing customers to pump their own.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
OMG. I might smell like gas.

One other statement I read was " I have no idea how to run those pumps"
Great time to switch to an electric vehicle.

No fumes, no spills, fill-up at home in the warm dry garage, less time standing and waiting, no leaving the kids unattended in the car,
and as easier to plug in than a vacuum cleaner.

Just remember when in this part of Oregon to have your 40' extension ladder strapped to the roof and these instructions printed and near by for reference.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?