2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
138 REPLIES 138

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm guessing everyone has had their say on this.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.... talk about "much ado over nothing"! It must be winter with nothing else to complain about.
Dave

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
No tool was used, wrenched meaning way over tightened till it broke the cap. Corvette's are known for this. One or two clicks, not as tight as you can till the ratchet thing is screaming enough already.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
AlaskaShooter wrote:
Few years ago I was traveling to Portland to visit a friend and stopped for fuel in my Corvette. Blonde female pump jockey pumped my fuel. I told her don't top it off or it will cover the side of the car. She then proceeded to replace the gas cap and wrenched it down so tight that it broke the cap resulting in the car throwing a check engine light which required a new gas cap to resolve the emission issue the broken gas cap caused.

I prefer to pump my own fuel. I believe I read that the change in Oregon pumping policy for gasoline is only effective from 6PM to 6AM. During the day an attendent still has to pump your fuel. Plus they don't do windows or check the oil.

I've had fuel pumped for me in Oregon since 1979 and never once has an attendant tightened my fuel cap with a wrench. Some things are unbelievable. I doubt that fuel stations even have wrenches to tighten gas caps.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oregon has lots of unusual laws. I travel there every year.
When you are in Rome, act Italian.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
Didn't read all 14 pages to see if anyone else commented , but have traveled through Oregon a few times on a motorcycle, they lift the nozzle off the pump and hand it to us to pump our own fuel.

the no self serve has had several exemptions for decades.

1) as you experienced motorcycles are exempt. and yes they either hand me the nozzle, or I just do a self serve.
2) classic or special interest vehicles are exempt. I pump gas in my SL500 self serve quite often.
3) it only applies to gas, not diesel. In fact to avoid the you put gas in my diesel truck claim, many stations require self serve for diesel vehicles.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Few years ago I was traveling to Portland to visit a friend and stopped for fuel in my Corvette. Blonde female pump jockey pumped my fuel. I told her don't top it off or it will cover the side of the car. She then proceeded to replace the gas cap and wrenched it down so tight that it broke the cap resulting in the car throwing a check engine light which required a new gas cap to resolve the emission issue the broken gas cap caused.

I prefer to pump my own fuel. I believe I read that the change in Oregon pumping policy for gasoline is only effective from 6PM to 6AM. During the day an attendent still has to pump your fuel. Plus they don't do windows or check the oil.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't read all 14 pages to see if anyone else commented , but have traveled through Oregon a few times on a motorcycle, they lift the nozzle off the pump and hand it to us to pump our own fuel.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
badsix wrote:
here in my local area they will top off if you ask. they aren't suppose to but most will and I do have mine toped sometimes. I really don't get the idea of having to top off. it gives my truck about 2 more gal. why top off, when the gauge gets down I just fill it again. i did go wilderness camping last summer, we were going to be about 30 mi. from the nearest gas so I took an extra 5 gal in a can. but I didn't need it as I stopped an filled up at the last town before our camp site. I just see no reason to worry about topping off my tank.
yep, you Californians are moving here because they don't like it down there, can't blame them. I just wish they would leave there California attitude there instead of trying to make Oregon like the place they ran away from.

My RV tank holds 5-6 more gallons if one knows how to trickle-fill it after the gas pump nozzles turn off. Those 5-6 more gallons give us around 45-55 more miles of travel before having to stop and fuel up. (Also, those 5-6 more gallons could prove helpful if you're way out there boondocking when North Korea launches a live one towards California, or Oregon, or Washington. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

I'll bet some Californians move to Oregon because they can't make a go of it down here ... maybe they should have tried the Other California before leaving to move up North into all of that rain. Parts of California in the Other portion of it are still rural, laid back, and great for raising kids - while being able to do all of that in something that can't be bought at any price - spectacular weather.

Too bad about Bend - I loved it way back when it was a sleepy little remote town where we used to go camping, golfing, hiking, and trout fishing in the summers. However, the Oregon Outback is still one of my favorite places in all the world to camp in the summer, with air conditioning, out in the middle of nowhere with pristine night skies, and a long way from the Oregon Coast.

I don't think they would waste a nuke on Oregon nothing here to hit other than a few pot smokers.
seriously the Oregon self pump law only effects a few people mainly in the eastern part of the state. were it might be useful as stations are few and far between and be closed at night. it would be nice to have fuel available to people 24hr a day. as for the western part of the state we are just fine the way it is. I've had enough fun so probably no further comment on this subject, unless someone says something stupid. LETS PUT IT TO BED.
Jay D.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
badsix wrote:
here in my local area they will top off if you ask. they aren't suppose to but most will and I do have mine toped sometimes. I really don't get the idea of having to top off. it gives my truck about 2 more gal. why top off, when the gauge gets down I just fill it again. i did go wilderness camping last summer, we were going to be about 30 mi. from the nearest gas so I took an extra 5 gal in a can. but I didn't need it as I stopped an filled up at the last town before our camp site. I just see no reason to worry about topping off my tank.
yep, you Californians are moving here because they don't like it down there, can't blame them. I just wish they would leave there California attitude there instead of trying to make Oregon like the place they ran away from.

My RV tank holds 5-6 more gallons if one knows how to trickle-fill it after the gas pump nozzles turn off. Those 5-6 more gallons give us around 45-55 more miles of travel before having to stop and fuel up. (Also, those 5-6 more gallons could prove helpful if you're way out there boondocking when North Korea launches a live one towards California, or Oregon, or Washington. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

I'll bet some Californians move to Oregon because they can't make a go of it down here ... maybe they should have tried the Other California before leaving to move up North into all of that rain. Parts of California in the Other portion of it are still rural, laid back, and great for raising kids - while being able to do all of that in something that can't be bought at any price - spectacular weather.

Too bad about Bend - I loved it way back when it was a sleepy little remote town where we used to go camping, golfing, hiking, and trout fishing in the summers. However, the Oregon Outback is still one of my favorite places in all the world to camp in the summer, with air conditioning, out in the middle of nowhere with pristine night skies, and a long way from the Oregon Coast.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
badsix wrote:

if that's what it takes to make you feel self sufficient i'm sorry for you. as for me and most of the people of Oregon we like our gas pumped. if you don't like it stay away, if it bothers you I suggest you read a book or something to get your mind off of it, you'll feel better.
Jay D.

Bought fuel in OR one time. I pulled in with a diesel and started pumping, then got confronted with the bull stuff. While diesel might be OK to pump, tell that to the attendants that need something to do. Glad that I have a large tank so there will never be another purchase in OR. When I become so useless that I cannot pump fuel, it would be time to quit driving as well.

While I found the whole Oregon gas pump thing a little strange when we moved out here, what I cannot fathom is how or why anyone would care or give 2 schitts as to whether a gas station was full service or not. Some of you folks here on geezernet.com need some new things to complain about! Lol.

x2. BTW the fuel station I go to always asks if I want my diesel truck topped off. I always say no because they'll spend the next 2-3 mins trying to dribble more in. Oh and they're not teenagers either. All adults.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
badsix wrote:
you Californians are moving here because they don't like it down there, can't blame them.
The people I know that move there from CA are because they cash out their houses and then retire with a cheaper house and a boatload of cash.

Yep. Thats one of the reasons the Bend area took off like a rocket years ago.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
badsix wrote:
you Californians are moving here because they don't like it down there, can't blame them.
The people I know that move there from CA are because they cash out their houses and then retire with a cheaper house and a boatload of cash.

your partially right, i know a lot of Calis most of them are nice people. and most of them say they would never go back.
Jay D.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote: