cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big changes with a broken heart (Little Update)

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm posting here because this is where I've posted the most, over the years.
What a year it's been. Our one trip in August was our last, but we didn't know it.
We had gotten our favorite spot, in our favorite campground. The weather was great.
My dear sweet 12 year old pit bull, did not do well. Lucy has been on every camping trip with us since we got her. This time, her arthritic legs bothered her, she didn't want to walk or swim. She hardly ate, couldn't get comfortable. We have always taken great measures to make our dogs comfortable on these trips. I couldn't believe that this dog, who had loved camping more than anything, wanted to be home.
She got back to her normal, shortly after we got home. We didn't think she had any more camping trips in her.
Then, my 55 year old, DH died suddenly on Labor Day.
None of my grown kids have the room or time for the TV/TT. Last year, our borough made us put the TT in storage. It's too much of an expense for me, now. I can't hitch nor tow it myself. I don't think anyone wants to see a broken-hearted woman struggling to set up at a campground, anyway.
So, I found a dealer that will take both of them in trade. I will get a nice, small reliable car.
My sister said, that if I want to camp in the future-I could get a 'camper cabin' or use a tent. Good point.
Many changes ahead. No one knows what is around the corner. Thank you all for your advice and camaraderie over the years.Sue
30 REPLIES 30

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
OP here. Well, It's early and I'm checking my RV net forum family. Vicariously enjoying your camping stories.
Anyhow, after DH's death, I am unable to physically manage hitching/driving my 25 ft TT with our TV. Family is unable to use it for now, and I made the decision to let it go. I was able to find a local car dealer that would take the whole deal in trade for a car-they were even nice enough to come pick it up!
Well, the new car won't be here for a couple of weeks, so the TT is still in the driveway. It hurts to have to walk by it every day. I started thinking about the suggestions to get a small Aliner trailer.
As it so happens, the car that I'm buying is a Subaru Crosstrek. I was checking online and found some videos(link isn't working for me this morning) of the Crosstrek towing Little Guy, Tab trailers. That gave me a little jolt of excitement.
The RV show is in January. I was thinking last month that I would never be able to enjoy the show again, but maybe I would like to look at the small trailers?

Glad you're considering a small trailer! Please look at the a frames. They tow like a popup (easy to tow, more aerodynamic), but give plenty of room for one person when set up (more head room than a @TAB, and the kitchen is inside, rather than at the rear of the trailer. As long as your new car is rated for 3500 lb. and has a tow package, you're good to go. If your car doesn't have a tow package, look into having a transmission cooler installed.

Yes, definitely join the a frame group on Facebook - I'm still a member, even though my husband and I sold our Aliner. It's a great group of people, and there are many women who tow one that are members of this group! Simply enter A Frame Campers in the search bar once you log onto FB and the group should pop up. The various brands included will be in parentheses. Click on the Join button and it shouldn't take long to be approved. You don't have to own one to be approved. Many people join to find out more about them!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
A good friend of mine belongs to a nation-wide group called "Girls on the Fly" - they meet up at various places and camp together. Many have small vintage trailers that have been restored to "awesome cuteness" - and they do things like hike, learn to fly fish, etc. Might be fun to surround yourself with like-minded gals?!

The little teardrop trailer you mentioned is cute!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
That's great you got a good deal with the trade in. Glad you are considering an A-Frame. If you are on Facebook there is a WONDERFUL group (with MANY women that go camping by themselves). Sometimes a few get together just to meet up. The link is (and I can't post the actual link--you'll have to copy/paste): https://www.facebook.com/groups/184183765028332/ . It's a private group-you must ask to join. I notice you're from Pittsburgh--I'm from the Harrisburg area--not that far from you. ๐Ÿ™‚

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to hear! The Crosstrek looks like a really nice vehicle, I'm sure you'll get some great direction here!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Well, It's early and I'm checking my RV net forum family. Vicariously enjoying your camping stories.
Anyhow, after DH's death, I am unable to physically manage hitching/driving my 25 ft TT with our TV. Family is unable to use it for now, and I made the decision to let it go. I was able to find a local car dealer that would take the whole deal in trade for a car-they were even nice enough to come pick it up!
Well, the new car won't be here for a couple of weeks, so the TT is still in the driveway. It hurts to have to walk by it every day. I started thinking about the suggestions to get a small Aliner trailer.
As it so happens, the car that I'm buying is a Subaru Crosstrek. I was checking online and found some videos(link isn't working for me this morning) of the Crosstrek towing Little Guy, Tab trailers. That gave me a little jolt of excitement.
The RV show is in January. I was thinking last month that I would never be able to enjoy the show again, but maybe I would like to look at the small trailers?

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said im very sorry for youe loss, my heart aches for you today.
I so hope you can find your way, and are able to do what makes you happy. Hugs.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I can't tell from your post, but I hope you don't think you can't post here anymore because you're not camping or RV'ing at the moment. I think a lot of people here are in that same situation. So please stick around!
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss and your pittie's aging problems. Prayers sent for your comfort. {{{Hugs}}}.

If, in the future, you want to consider camping again, please look at a frame campers (Aliner, Chalet, Flagstaff, Rockwood). There are many single women who have these and they're very easy to handle, set up (some even have lift assists), and tow. Many of them fit in a garage, saving storage fees. Their price is also relatively modest. They can be towed by a smaller vehicle, as well (as long as it can tow 3500 lb.). They are hard sided pop ups - no canvas.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for responding, Sue. As you can see, you are in all of our hearts, thoughts, and prayers. Someday, having that campfire will just happen.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank all of you for your comforting words. I sincerely believe in the power of faith and prayer. I am blessed to have a wonderful family by my side. I know that time will help me heal. I've already had to do plenty of things that I didn't think I could. Cleaning out the camper was really hard, I had to stop many times, to wipe away tears.
The dogs keep me company. They seem to know, they always do. I just have to remember not to say, 'Daddy'.
I will always love camping and the outdoors. I was almost tempted to have a little campfire in the fire pit tonight. Maybe someday, I will be able to enjoy it, as much as before.
Again, I really appreciate your good thoughts and prayers. Please, everyone be careful and stay safe. Sue

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
I don't come to this site very much any more and I can't tell you the last time I posted.... With that said I am here today and I think it isn't coincidence. I am so sorry for your loss, my heart hurts for you. I hope and pray the good memories you and your beloved husband made will help sustain you. I hope Lucy continues to improve.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Ah Sue, my heart breaks for you and what you've gone through. I've always told my husband that I love RV'ing so much that if he goes before me, I'll sell off the big truck and fiver, and get a small Class C and get someone to go with me, dogs too. Hopefully in time you can heal and get back to what you enjoyed so much taking the loving thoughts of your husband with you on every mile you travel. Best of luck to your beloved pitty too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Gunner45
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your dear husband ๐Ÿ˜ž You are in my thoughts and prayers.