cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dominance issues

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. First time I've posted a non rv question on here. I'm a little puzzled though and need help. I have a 10 month old lab doodle that has gone after our 6 lb papillon several times. Afraid she is really going to hurt him. Tonight it was over food. We usually feed them separated. Before that it was over bones or chew toys. She just snatches the little dog up like a chew toy.

Otherwise the lab doodle is great with us and the kids. She likes to dominate our other dog but they are close in size so nothing ever really happens. Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of thoughts: is the little dog crying out in pain? Sometimes, what looks like serious aggression actually sounds a lot worse than it is?

Then the other side: my daughter had a spayed female pointer mix ("Daisy") - and she was truly possession-aggressive and would draw blood. And give absolutely NO warning that she was going to attack. And her "prized possessions" could be any ridiculous thing: a dead housefly, for example. Plus, she was just generally "bossy" around my neutered male dogs.

My daughter had relocated back to this area, so Daisy was living with us, too. After she drew blood on my Cattle Dog (a 1/2" gash just below his eye) - I knew I had to lay the law down. I set her up with some really good possessions and my shock collar set on "Nuclear Holocaust". Then waited. For over an hour - until she turned on the Cattle Dog (he walked within 5' of a prize) and I let her have it. The idea is that if she thought my dogs were SO ferocious that they could inflict such pain on her in the blink of an eye - she'd leave them alone. It worked - I more or less rearranged the Pecking Order to put her at the bottom. But doing that requires diligence, and PERFECT timing.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you for all the fast replies. Will call vet tomorrow.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people will post their idea of what to do. Following amateur advice can cause more harm. This is a very dangerous situation that can have very bad consequences. GET PROFESSIONAL HELP IMMEDIATELY.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Feed the dogs in their crates at the same time with doors shut. Your poor little dog must be feeling terrorized by now. Tasty treats, bones, chews, etc. also need to be given to the dogs while in their crates with doors closed. Have their crates in different areas, so that the labradoodle doesn't intimidate the Papillon to the point where the little dog is afraid to eat even in the crate. Yes, this can happen.

Take away all toys for now, and get your labradoodle into obedience training ASAP. Play with the dogs completely separately, and crate the dog who isn't participating at the time. Only bring out a toy when you are directly playing with the dog.

This situation can escalate quickly and become very dangerous! It won't go away on its own. The labradoodle has already figured out that bullying is working...

Check into NILF (Nothing in Life is Free), which your labradoodle needs. Here's a link: Nothing in Life is Free
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
The behaviors your dog is exhibiting are more accurately called resource guarding and/or possession aggression.

Given the disparity of the size differences in your dogs, you need to make sure that anything of value to your Labradoole is kept put away. You also need to get a trainer in ASAP for an in-person look at the situation. Your vet should be able to recommend someone. It's possible your vet will recommend a veterinary behaviorist, which would be even better. That's a licensed veterinarian who specializes in behavior issues. As I'm sure you realize, your Labradoodle could easily kill your Pap. Easily.

Your Labradoodle is also in the period known as canine adolescence. It's the period of time when a maturing dog, like a human teenager, gets moody and wants to push boundaries. You need to get a plan and develop some structure, just like a human parent would during this time.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 10 months old, get her into a quality dog training course. A one-on-one training is even better.

Has she been spayed? Doing so can help a lot in this area.

A few things to start with:

1. no more slow eating treats (bones, etc.) for any of the dogs. This will reduce the opportunity for her to do a food grab. It also reduces the jealousy ("that little thing is still eating his bone and mine is gone so I'm taking his"). Cookies that are eaten quickly are OK as long as you follow the second rule;

2. all the dogs have to sit before any get food. At meal time, put them in a sit stay. Then set all the bowls down in the appropriate spots, and THEN give them a command to eat (I use "OK"). If one gets up before you give the command, put them back in the sit stay, wait about 30 seconds, then give the command. If you are giving them a treat, put them in a sit stay and hold out the treat. Only after you give the command (use the same command) are they to take the treat from you.

3. This is harder to do with more than 2 dogs, but always give them the treats at the same time (this is why you put all the bowls down first - so they all get their food at the same time). Don't give one dog their treat before the others. This keeps the food aggressive dog focused on her getting a treat rather than watching the others getting a treat.

4. If she finishes her treat/food first, put her in a sit stay until the others have finished. Then take them all out for a potty break/walk.

5. Do not let her eat what the others don't finish. She gets what is in HER bowl only. This goes for any table scraps/treats also - unless they are in HER bowl, she cannot eat them.

6. Don't leave food sitting out. This includes the bag of dog food just purchased - as soon aa it comes in the house, it gets put away. Leaving food out is just creating a potential issue.

You mention chew toys. Do you mean things like nylon bones, stuffed toys, etc.? If so, do away with any that are food scented or flavored. For the rest, teach them all the "let me see it". When one has a toy, tell them "let me see it" and take the toy. Don't yank it, but pull it with a steady pressure until they release it, saying "let me see it" repeatedly. When they let go, make a big deal of looking at it, making comments, etc. as to how pretty a toy it is and so on. Then say "do you want it? Sit" and put them in a sit. When they sit, give them back the toy. Once in a while, after you take the toy, tell them "enough" and put the toy out of reach. Once they pick up on "if I sit, I can have my toy back", occasionally give the toy to the other dog if it sits first. You want to give the toy back to the dog you took it from at least 80% of the time, but occasionally giving it to another dog or putting it away.

You'll be surprised how fast they all pick up on the rules if everyone in household practices them consistently.

One word of caution: the dogs will obey the commands, so if you are feeding them while talking on the phone, etc., you will have to interrupt the conversation so you can say "OK" (or your chosen command) before they will start eating - no amount of pointing your finger will work... 🙂
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
This is a dangerous situation and you have to address it before it becomes fatal.As long as the one dog gets away with his possessive aggression toward the other dog it is only going to get worse and probably end up in serious injuries or worse. You need to talk to your vet and he most likely will suggest a dog behavior trainer to assess the dogs interaction and how to modify the aggressors behavior. Please don't take this lightly!!!!!