cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise Pens

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of getting an ex pen to keep our dogs contained while we're just hanging around our campsite. I'd like something that's relatively lightweight and easy to set up but sturdy enough that if a 40-55 lb dog jumps up on it, it won't tip over.

Any recommendations or things to avoid? I'd like one large enough to keep two medium-sized dogs. I never leave my dogs unattended, so not really worried about them escaping.
DH, Me and 3 Australian Shepherds
2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Crew
"Elsa" - 2014 Skyline Eco Camp 19WQ
"Stella" - 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 6 PUP
14 REPLIES 14

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer

Well, the dogs are thrilled with their new ex pen! (Well, maybe not yet) 😉
I was able to find one with 28" wide panels which will give them a little bit more room. Also has a nice carry case.

SGJKKing
Explorer
Explorer
We use exercise pens, started off with just 2 foot tall pens, was tall enough for the Chihuahuas. Had to go to the 4 foot tall pens when we got a Min Pin. We bought them online. We got the one with doors, DH cut the top part of the wires at the top of the door, making them like a gate. We have one outside compartment in the motor home that is used to store the pens. When we had the Trailer we just put them in the back of the truck.
I know of one campground in our area that doesn't allow exercise pens. I asked why? Their answer was because it makes it hard to mow. Some places we have gone to and we ask about the exercise pens they have responded with oh yes wished more people would use them.
Steve & Julie King
Bellingham, WA

Rocky - Miniature Pinscher
Mini - Miniature Pinscher
Scrappy - Chihuahua

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
With your dogs being on the medium side, I'd get 2 x-pens and hook them together to give them enough room to move around inside. I'd also get a 36 or 48 inch high size, depending on whether your dogs would try to jump out or not. We got ours at Tractor Supply (Retriever brand). We have a very small TT and have the large dinette made into our permanent bed. We store the x-pen under it when traveling.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
I've got 4 or 5 sets of 4' high panels. They make a nice large yard with room for picnic table, chairs, grassy space. We use white plastic coroplast for the gap under the trailer - very light. The dogs aren't allowed to jump on the fence, but we still stabilize it with "pigtail" electric fence posts.

The panels are heavy... we have a carrier at the back of the camper for them to travel on, but not because they are pee'd on - we don't allow any pee or pooping inside the fence - it is our living room! It didn't take long for the dogs to learn.

I love not having to have the dogs leashed! I'll take a few photos once the gale force winds and rain subsides and post them on my blog.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
Ah... good point about the boys! I probably won't put it on my bed after all...

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Petsmart has some good deals going on for shipped only pens.

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-training/exercise-pens/midwest-exercise-pen-with-door-zid36-6835/ca...

I prefer the gold tone ones. They last longer out in the elements. Not to mention they look a lot nicer when used at a CG.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
chezmoose wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone. Most of the places we camp are remote rustic state forest campgrounds, so I don't think anyone will have an issue with our dogs being in a pen.

Rockhillmanor - I didn't see that brand on Petco's website, perhaps it's only carried in the stores? We don't have any Petco stores near us.

Do any of these come with a storage case? That would be nice. I'm thinking it will probably fit just fine in the back of our truck or could ride on the bed inside the TT if necessary.

Altz moment I gave you the wrong name! :B

Precision Pet Pro Handler Ex-pens
All the different sizes are on the right.
http://www.petco.com/product/11371/Precision-Pet-Pro-Handler-Indoor-Outdoor-Exercise-Pens.aspx?CoreC...

About leaving them on the bed.....that is exactly what I did in the beginning. First of all you will find at least 10 times during your travels that you want to use the bed.

And more importantly second of all...if you have boys they will be peeing on the sides of it and unless you want to have to scrub and bleach them each and every time you put them up on your bed, well you get the idea of what it will smell like in your MH bedroom.:W

It would be well worth the trip to a store to get them. The shipping charges will kill you. You could also wait until you are on the road RV'ing and stop at a store. I've yet to stop at a CG that there wasn't a petco on the way.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
If your dogs are not left unattended, I would venture a guess that no on will say anything.

Leave them alone while you leave the campground, or leave them outside while they bark non stop, and you will have a problem.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, everyone. Most of the places we camp are remote rustic state forest campgrounds, so I don't think anyone will have an issue with our dogs being in a pen.

Rockhillmanor - I didn't see that brand on Petco's website, perhaps it's only carried in the stores? We don't have any Petco stores near us.

Do any of these come with a storage case? That would be nice. I'm thinking it will probably fit just fine in the back of our truck or could ride on the bed inside the TT if necessary.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
sher9570 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Exercise pens are great, but I have to tell you in a just a few of the many parks we have stayed in, they were not allowed.

Doesn't make sense, I know.

Just curious but have any said why they don't allow them?
Makes no sense since they want dogs contained or controlled.

Sher

Never asked but I have heard it mentioned it was to discourage campers from leaving their dogs outside unattended. Again, makes no sense, I know. I don't see the difference between pens and using a tie out in this scenario.

I never asked for the reasoning but you can be darn sure I will the next time I run into it. Just for informational value.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I found the best ones are Pro-Select and luckily they can be found at any Petco. They are lighter than the Midwest ones.

I did buy and have shipped to me the expen hinged wire covers from Midwest for all my expen's.

Keeps little curious CG kids from putting their hands over the expen's, heck it actually helps keep out more curious adults than children. :C

BTW: once you get the expen's your next problem will be where to store them! I bought a Square Bumper Mount RV Bike Rack on my first go around with expens.

Expen's attach to it 'perfectly'. Slip expen's thru holes of extended arms and ratchet strap them to back rails.

OR

Add hitch to the back of your MH, Toad or TT and add a cargo carrier.

4 expens' and a crate dolly on the back of my Toad! :C

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Exercise pens are great, but I have to tell you in a just a few of the many parks we have stayed in, they were not allowed.

Just curious but have any said why they don't allow them?
Makes no sense since they want dogs contained or controlled.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer

Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Midwest portable pen I use for my dogs. I'm very satisfied with it. Very easy to set up and fold up. I have large dogs, so mine is heavier (not sure how much it weighs--the box is long gone. Of course the weight depends on the height and how large a play area you get. Do a search on-line for weights, heights and prices to get an idea. Just an FYI: Years ago we had a Bullmastiff who truly was just like a bull. When he wanted something there was no stopping him. He saw some geese coming down the road and just knocked the whole fence over (he never did hurt or catch the geese). I had it secured to the ground with a few tent stakes. From then on I added a LOT more tent stakes to secure it to the ground and also kept an eye on him, never letting him alone in the pen. Things were fine after that.