cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High temperature alarm for when you're not there but pet is.

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be out riding our motorcycles a lot of the time and leaving our dogs in the RV with the AC on this summer. Was thinking I would really like some kind of alarm system so in case the AC broke down, I would be alerted. I was thinking maybe something that would start a light flashing in the window with a note to call or text our cell numbers. Or something that would send us a text....
Is there something already on the market?
What do you folks do?
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys
21 REPLIES 21

Nimble_Wireless
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Try nimble RV Pet Temperature monitor. It can alert when the temperature inside the RV increases or decreases. You can get SMS, email alerts. And best you can track your RV where it is parked right from your mobile phone.

rvpetsafety.com

JFord2
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same dilemma just these past few weeks. A first time RV traveling with dogs and a cat. I found a nice web based program to download and remote control my computer via my smart phone. That being said if I have no cell service and/or the power goes off I won't be able to monitor the temperatures. Fortunately, we will be less than 30 minutes from the RV camp so I can head back to check on the pets. I set this up on my laptop in view of a large garden thermometer to view while we are away. Have been using inside our house now for a week and all is going well.

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
gerrym51 wrote:
i use Motorola focus 66 video monitor with temperature sensor.

i link it to a cell hotspot in the van.

motorola focus 66 uses the hubbleconnected system. after it is set up i just press the app on my smartphone and i automatically see my pets and can get the temperature

How does it set up at different RV parks?

Never mind... I followed your lead, bought the same camera from Target on line and have a dedicated wifi hotspot coming for the RV.

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
i use Motorola focus 66 video monitor with temperature sensor.

i link it to a cell hotspot in the van.

motorola focus 66 uses the hubbleconnected system. after it is set up i just press the app on my smartphone and i automatically see my pets and can get the temperature

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:

But again you only have a very limited amount of time to get to your pets if the ac goes off when it is hot outside. Just saying.

I guess a lot of it has to do with how well your RV is insulated. If my TT is cool inside and the power goes out, it doesn't got warm inside for an hour or more. I have had the power go off while camping here in Florida and we stayed inside the camper for over an hour while the A/C was not running. It was starting to get a little warm but not too bad. That's why when we leave the camper with the dogs inside, we rarely travel more than 30 minutes away. That way if I see the temperature start rising, I can get back to the camper before it gets too hot inside.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Thermostatically controlled vents will NOT keep your pet safe from the heat. The RV will reach dangerously hot levels within minutes after the ac goes off.

That said a smart phone and any one of the inexpensive nanny cams will do the job. nanny cam pointed on a thermometer. View on line with smart phone while you are away.

But again you only have a very limited amount of time to get to your pets if the ac goes off when it is hot outside. Just saying.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
Temp alert looks like a neat cost effective solution as well. When I was looking for a temp alert there were not as many options. Many more options available now. Adding a outside cell anttena and booster helped too if you are in the boondocks.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johno02 wrote:
Think about the occasion that power goes off in the summer. Most likely your internet service will go down at the same time, along with any internet cameras or accessoris powered by 120v power. Wireless os better, but only if you have a dedicated line for it, and it is not ac powered. That is why we like the 12v vent fans as a first choice.

That's why I like my setup. Using my laptop in the RV, if the power goes out I would still have a couple hours of battery time with my laptop. I use my internet through my phone hotspot most of the time so as long as the cell service is running, I would still get my notifications from my temperature alert system every 15 minutes. If I was using the RV park's WIFI and the power went out, I would stop getting the notifications and I would head back to the RV.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Think about the occasion that power goes off in the summer. Most likely your internet service will go down at the same time, along with any internet cameras or accessoris powered by 120v power. Wireless os better, but only if you have a dedicated line for it, and it is not ac powered. That is why we like the 12v vent fans as a first choice.

I wouldn't count on vent fans cooling a rv enough in certain areas of the country. I know they wouldn't be enough in Florida. Still good too have though.
My freeze alarm runs off 120 volts but has a 9 volt backup if power is lost. It will call my cell phone to alert me of power failure. I run the phone lynx off a ups so it will still have power to connect to my cellphone since the freeze alarm needs a phone connection to call me with alarms. Down side is you need cellphone coverage or landlines for it to work.

Onan has a nice device which will start your generator to power your c ac if line power is lost.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I am using. It works very well. Its called a Freeze Alarm but works for high temps as well. http://www.diycontrols.com/p-6020-intermediate-freeze-alarm-fa-i-cca.aspx?gclid=CMfj8oi488UCFQoSHwodzJIAxg

And a Cobra phone lynx connects to it.
http://www.cobraphonelynx.com/what-is-phonelynx/

JeepBus
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is an IP Camera with a temperature sensor. Several companies make them. They allow you to monitor the temperature and watch video or look at pictures of your RV from anywhere there is wifi or cell phone internet coverage.

Simply put, you can set up a camera like the one below to send you a message when the temperature gets too high or if your dog barks etc. You could then watch a video or look at a picture if you want or even talk to your dog.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881103072

Note-I haven't used this camera so I can't confirm how well it works.
2004 Discovery 39L

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the help everyone, some good things to look into... I planned on leaving the roof vents open and running no matter what I do and one of those 5 gallon automatic watering bowls as well...

K Charles wrote:
what do you do when you leave your pet at home for the day?

We live in SE Florida... I would bet if the AC failed in my well insulated home on a typical summer 95 degree day, the dogs would be fine for the rest of the day lying on the cool tile floor. My RV on the other hand, like most are NOT that well insulated, don't have a tile floor on a concrete slab. Basting in the sun on a 95 degree day, if the AC failed, I would think it could easily get hot enough to kill or severely hurt the animals in short order.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a fantastic fan with a thermostat for that reason. It is 12v powered, so if shore power goes off it will still run. With a window or another roof vent open, I will help prevent excessive heat buildup inside. Hot air is pulled out, replaced by ambient temp air from outside. If ambient air temp is still too high, we will somewhere cooler for the season..
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.