cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turned out the pool filter was past its useful life, and the pressure therein caused the shrieking. New filter, all is well. We also learned more about the pool equipment that wasn't in the instruction books. Nothing like learning something before a repair is necessary.

I believe Alex has found something rather nasty to roll in. I picked him up this morning, and shortly after found a huge rash developing on both arms. We don't have poison ivy around here, so no telling what it is, but I washed my arms really well and while the rash is still there, it's not itching. 'Course, now I have the itchies everywhere else -- psychological reaction -- there's nothing actually there. Sheesh.

Spot followed the pool vacuum again, moving along the pool edge as it wandered up and down. He finally decided to go off on patrol after watching it closely for about fifteen minutes. Good thing: the vacuum runs for two hours, and he'd have been exhausted by then. He's "patrolling" the south porch right now, in a rocking chair.

The barn swallow gossip fest is in full cry. They come back to the nests and yak 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I join in, and they talk back (I'm sure it's not nice).

Just sitting here, waiting on the plumber to come fix one of the outdoor lawn hydrants. Seems to be clogged and has little pressure. Naturally, it's the one we use to refill the pool. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Had family here for Easter. Alex hid under the pool ledge. Spot went on extended patrols, then realized our nephew was here, the one he likes so much, so he had some quality kitty time with nephew.

Was a lovely, quiet day, right up until the shrieks began. Horrible, grinding, fire alarm loud shrieks. It was the pool pumping equipment again. It's running on low, but on high sounds like it's trying to tear itself apart. I don't think this will be a cheap fix. Good thing we got the pool cleaner when we did. At least we can keep the pool clean while waiting on whatever parts the repairman will need.

This morning I heard our neighbor clapping her hands and calling the deer to come for their morning fruit and veggies. Mama Doe immediately jumped the fence, leaving two young deer in our meadow--one I'm sure is Solo, but the other? Don't know for sure. Even though the gate is open, they couldn't figure out how to get out, and kept running up and down the fence line, never quite getting down to the gate. So they missed out on neighbor's morning treat.

We only have six barn swallows nesting, and they're not eating near enough bugs. Having to keep the door closed to keep the mosquitoes out. I sure hope they all have huge broods -- the more barn swallows, the fewer mosquitoes.

Time to go spray the yard for grass burrs -- they're nastily prolific right now. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Just_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever stop posting, I'm gonna sell my computer....:B:B:B
04 Monaco Signature
A 45' Monster with a DD 60 series 515 HP
Towing a Jeep Commander with a "Hemi"

DAM STALE DONUTS

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Today, we're all sitting by the pool, watching the new pool cleaner do its thing. It climbs up the wall, stops right past the waterline, then slowly goes back down, sucking up all the dust and leaves. In a couple hours, no more dust on the bottom; just in a bag for us to clean out.

Spot is following it as it goes from one side to another. Alex looked once, but is more interested in a nap. Of course, us humans are fascinated -- it's more fun than watching the breadmaker....:B

WLToo got buzzed by a hummingbird a few minutes ago, and we realized it wanted us to refill the feeder. He hardly got it hung before two were right there.

Cardiologist was very happy with my heart, but because I've never had one, scheduled me for a stress test later this month.

WLToo woke up this morning to a chorus of deer snorts. Not sure why they're so snorty lately, but it's making Alex very nervous. Snorting deer scare the fur right off him -- he's traumatized by having had several of those huge rat things chase him when we first got here.

Time to go back out and watch the pool cleaner. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Today was the first day I could swim. WLToo did not join me, as the pool temp was 79, and he thinks that's too cold. Since I give off about 15000 btu normally, it felt wonderful.

But not content with merely swimming laps, I had my first weight training session this afternoon. Well, first in too many years. I'll be doing weight training three times per week and swimming every day, so by the end of the summer, I fully expect to look and feel considerably better... I'll mention the workouts to the cardiologist tomorrow, in case he has any concerns, but I doubt he will. I found out I was a whole lot stronger than I thought, so I should be into some heavier weights very soon. Probably never gonna be a six-pack again, but at least I'll stop being a keg...:E

Spot is sitting by the juniper next to the pool deck. He's been trying to get a mockingbird that lands there and taunts him. But the first few months we had him, Spot ran straight off the deck, trying to get a bird in the tree, so he's not repeating that 6' drop again.

One of last year's hummingbirds is here. Flew directly to where the feeder was last year, looked around, saw it in the new location, and seems happy with it.

Mama Doe joined us for an evening snack. We ate the bananas, she ate the peels.

I'm feeling some muscles right now -- time for a cool water treatment... Back to the pool!

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We also provide easy food, clean water, and warm places to sleep. Cats are very smart; they know a good deal.

Today's a bit gray, with thunderstorms possible. Alex and Spot are sleeping on the north porch, where they can watch and chitter at the barn swallows and the two hummingbirds who visit the feeder.

Learned another lesson this morning: don't take the medications first, and then eat, but do the reverse. Very queasy right now. Bleah.

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's easy to understand why dogs chose to associate with humans but, as for cats, I believe it's because we provide them with easy entertainment.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Last night, we heard Spot bouncing all around the house, obviously playing with something. He finally bopped it into the big room, and it was a giant red-headed centipede, about 3" long. Creepy buggers. Unfortunately, it got away from him, right around my favorite chair.

After losing the centipede, Spot found and started playing with a spider. When the spider started running toward Spot, I smacked it with the ol' flip flop of doom. Then I saw another spider beside my chair, and WLToo did the same. Unfortunately, it was a momma spider, with a snootful of babies riding on top. WLToo goes smack, babies go everywhere. Now picture two humans in flip flops, doing a Fred Astaire tap dance wherever we see movement.

Spot gave up and went to bed in his chair. I sat on the other side of the room the rest of the evening...

No sign of more baby spiders or the centipede this morning. The Roomba swept up the remains, and WLToo got out the whole house bug repellent and sprayed every opening. Luckily, we've not yet seen a scorpion, although they're out -- a friend found six dead ones in her house already, having died due to six cats who really like to play with them. She dispatched a seventh with her flip flop (the standard footwear around here).

The pool's uncovered, clean, and in the mid-70s. Two and a half days and a wake up, and I'm in the pool!

Mama Doe has run everyone out of the meadow, even Solo. She still doesn't look pregnant, but since she normally drops fawn(s) in late May or early June, she's got time to grow. The meadow is filled with wildflowers and assorted other deer delights, so while she still comes to the house, she's not staring into the windows and making it clear she really, really wants a handout.

Time to get back outside and clear more Mexican hat dead stalks. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was scheduled to visit the heart doc this Friday, but he was badly injured in a wreck, so I'll visit one of his colleagues next week instead. I'm ok, myself.

Quiet morning. Had several rain showers, and it's still a touch foggy, but the birds are singing, and I just saw a yellow butterfly. We have antelope stew in the crockpot, and we'll have burritos for lunch (oh, it's lunchtime already!), so I made some pico de gallo to go with the frijoles.

Alex and Spot are still asleep, after their morning breakfast and patrol. Spot spent the whole night either between my calves, or up against one as I turned over. He was happy; I was hot. Alex slept in his usual spot between his two humans.

Past time for human lunch and kitty treats. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been back to the heart doc for a check up? I hope everything is going well there.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I love living where I can wear shorts all March. Another glorious spring day, with bluebonnets galore, and more and more wildflowers as far as the eye can see. Texas has the nicest looking ditches in the country. :B

Solo was across the fence a while ago, snorting like mad and beating his nose with a hind foot. No idea what he got into to make him snort/sneeze like that, but he was pretty uncomfortable for quite a while. Hope it's not serious.

WLToo is pretty sure the main body of hummingbirds hasn't arrived yet. We only have one occasional visitor to the feeder for now.

The resident roadrunner stood out in the meadow and blew raspberries at us on the porch yesterday. It was pretty funny, watching Spot try to sneak down the slope, as the roadrunner watched his every move and said "Pbbbbt!" periodically. He finally strolled away, just as Spot started the butt wiggle o' doom (not that Spot had any chance at all of catching the roadrunner).

Right now, Spot the intrepid bug hunter is stalking a beetle alongside the pool. Alex is doing his impression of Monorail Kitteh on my chair arm.

Ah, Dancing With The Stars elimination is on. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
A new critter's in the neighborhood. Spot caught a lizard today. It slipped away from him, and he grabbed it again. Then he let it go, and it played dead. I got a closer look and I realized I was looking at a horned lizard (known in my youth as a horny toad)! The little critters are a protected species now, and I've not seen one in over 40 years. So Spot got stuck inside the house until I was certain the lizard got away. He's still asleep in his chair.

It's a glorious spring day here. Lots of purple (looks purple to me but locals call it blue) lantana and so many different yellow wildflowers are all in bloom. The past two years of not mowing the meadow until after the last wildflower has thrown its seeds is bearing "fruit" this year. We have many more plants growing and filling in the bare spots. We'll start work on one of our rocky ledges this year, adding drought loving trailing plants to cover the rocks and create interest.

The barn swallows are having a very serious discussion on the north porch. No sign of anyone moving into the south porch nests yet, but when they do, it will be very, very noisy here.

I hauled stuff out to the compost heap this morning, and Mama Doe and Solo came along. I don't know if they found it palatable, but they didn't come back to the house with me.

Time to head down the slope under the pool and clear away the old Mexican hat stalks. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks, Susan, I'll look there and see if they have something I can use.

Sue Bee, there are lots of turkeys around here, and I'd love to have some wandering about our property, but Mama Doe's a bit too territorial, apparently. Or we don't have anything they want to eat. A good tom turkey could sure keep Spot in control, and Alex would probably never go outside again.

Today was the first day Spot went all the way to the mailbox and back with me, since I was in the hospital the first time. He walked behind me most of the way back, in my shadow. It was pretty warm, and his coat is super dense, so he looks for shade wherever possible. It was funny to watch.

He and Alex spent most of the day on the porch, where it was shady and pleasant. I joined them for a while, reading and in general just being mellow. Sometimes the medication makes me very sleepy, and today was one of those days, so not a whole lot happened. I finished the play yesterday and sent it back, and will start on WLToo's third book tomorrow, assuming I don't fall asleep over my keyboard again...:Z

Just before sundown, I went out to close the gate and watched Spot patrolling out in the meadow. He's so diligent about earning his keep, and such fun to watch. But when he came inside for the evening, he had a scratch on his nose. Not serious, but I have to wonder who or what he encountered, as I've not seen black kitty or the seal point Siamese mix in several days.

Going to be a beautiful night, so I'm off to stargaze. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
A neighbor just killed a scorpion in her house, and another killed a rattlesnake on her porch. Interesting--we haven't seen a single snake since we moved here, and now she had one on her porch.

I saw an interesting show about a fellow who raised a flack of wild turkeys (story here). He would take them flock out walking around his many acres, and apparently, the turkeys were quite adept at finding every. single. snake. Even as poults. He noted that he had never seem a single snake before on his walks, but realized how they were all over the place, all of the time.

(Shudders some about rattle snakes and scorpions)

Not that this has anything to do with Spot or Alex ๐Ÿ™‚

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite new thing is a company called "Cat Faeries." Here's a link.

http://www.catfaeries.com

They make flower essence blends, like Bach Rescue Remedy but their own blends of different flowers. I've been giving them to my cats, who have been dealing with issues since bringing Cleo back into the household. They work very well there and have really improved the overall energy of the cats, as I've been backing off on other things I was using. It's a pretty complicated situation with five of them, but I'm very happy with the results. Happier, mellower kitties with less conflict.

What's been more remarkable is that I have two bunnies, and Bonka is bigger, stronger, younger, and rowdier than Wuzzy. When she gets wound up, she'll mount him and gets very rough. He's got some problems with his back end and his urinary tract, and that's the last thing he needs. But he doesn't want to be separated from her, they are a bonded pair of bunnies, take them apart or even put a fence between them, he gets depressed. I was actually considering putting him down in part because of this problem.

So I decided to try the drops on them. First the blend called Houshold Harmony, then I added Territorial Rescue. Both improved matters. Then I added "Calm and Serene" and BAM... in the three months since, I've only had to deal with her jumping on him twice. It's like a miracle. I think it's more obvious because there's just the two, not as many players in the situation. In any case, I'm very happy that I found the stuff. It's allowing Wuzz to be with his friend and not get jumped on.

They also make a senior support formula and some others. Definitely worth a look. If I were going to get just one, I'd get the Calm and Serene, for sure. Because if we're all calm and serene, we're all good.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.