cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
A keyhole garden is six feet in diameter. The keyhole cutout allows even a short person like me to reach the entire garden without much effort. Three of them will feed a family of ten all year.

We did learn one lesson: always put the keyhole on the north side, so the compost chute doesn't create shade on the garden. Sigh.

May have been wrong about the transplanted radishes. At least one is coming back. All the potatoes have sprouted now, as well as all the yellow onions. I am so looking forward to harvesting my own food.

It suddenly got very noisy a few minutes ago. Sure enough, two male barn swallows are checking out the accommodations and yakking away. Spot dashed out to watch.

WLToo's new rotisserie attachment for the grill worked out very nice. Peruvian chicken is next on my poultry list.

Got up to 83 today, so I finally unsealed the bedroom windows and opened one. Very nice cross breeze, should be great sleeping tonight.

I see it's past time to feed the cats. Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
How large are you keyhole gardens? I just had to look the concept up on Google since you talk about so much! It's a very interesting concept, will be great if it works for you.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks, Barb. I'm scheduled for the ablation in a couple of weeks. I don't like hospitals, but I'm actually looking forward to this one, since it means I won't have to take the medication anymore.

doecomestoo, I get bit, scratched, thumped, etc. almost every day, and have most of my life. Never have had any of them become infected. 'Course, my ability to withstand alcohol poured directly onto the wound probably helps...

We planted pinto beans, basil, cubanelle peppers, roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes today. My experiment in transplanting thinned radishes failed - they all died. OK, lesson learned. The leeks look great, and the cabbages are all starting to form. We're seeing a few more carrots and green onions, and at least four potatoes have sprouted. We just might harvest a bit of food before the summer heat kills it all.

We've already decided to put together a second keyhole garden, so we can have more veggies for a longer time. Between the spring garden and the autumn garden, we could eat very well, once we get the hang of the local climate.

A black chin hummingbird showed up at the feeder yesterday. I expect the hoards to arrive any day.

We have a small bird hanging around the live oak right by the pool (and therefore by our bedroom). When it sings, it sounds like an electronic alarm going off. WLToo went looking for the electronic thingie, to turn it off, and spent about five minutes in fruitless search, before realizing it was outside and a bird...

Mama Doe Lassie isn't letting the bucks into our meadow anymore. I guess she's moving into "prepare the nursery" mode again. The last three years, she's had her fawns Memorial Day weekend or in June, so we don't expect her to drop one anytime soon.

WLToo got a rotisserie for the grill and needs assistance with the chicken. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
Are you OK where Spot bit you? When one of our cats bit DH in the thumb, DH got an infection that needed IV antibiotics, so I always worry about cat bites.
How are you feeling cardiac-wise? Did you find out if the ablation will work for you? Good luck!!

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I pray for the best result for you. I hope you can get the procedure!!

Barb and the 4 chocolates
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
The garden is doing well, except for the carrots, although a few are showing up now. I'll be thinning the radishes and leeks as soon as this tiny bit of rain goes by. But my thinning will be in the form of transplanting, so I can eat them all... The yellow onions have already sprouted, and we have a couple of potato sprouts. Next week, we should be able to start planting the beans, peas, tomatoes, peppers, basil and parsley. Really looking forward to some fresh veggies and herbs.

My cardiologist recommended heart ablasion, since the meds aren't fully working, so I'll be evaluated for that on Tuesday. If all goes well, I'll soon be off the meds -- woo hoo! The downside of that medical procedure is I'll not be lifting weights for a time, and I do so love to lift weights.

We have boxes all over the dining area, and Spot is beside himself, because they're taped shut. So he found a piece of packing paper and is busily attacking it. He got in trouble this morning, when he bit me and drew blood, and got smacked on the head for it. He's very slow to learn some things. Sigh.

Haven't seen Mama Doe Lassie for several days. Instead, we have the bucks. They're interesting to watch, but... WLToo got cell phone photos of a six point buck doing everything but staring into the windows. Spooky has lost one of his spikes, and another buck we recognize has shed his antlers, so WLToo is walking around the meadow, trying to find them.

Otherwise, it's been a very quiet few days. Talk to y'all later.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
The wind's blowing, the relative humidity is around 10%, and the fire danger is extreme. Another typical drought day in the Hill Country... It is still beautiful here, though.

Mama Doe Lassie's mini-herd is following her up and down the hill, as she looks in the windows for a handout. Sorry, MDL, no handouts when the boys are around. Notch is entirely too brave. I expect he'll be one of the alpha bucks in a couple of years, and I don't want him standing on my porch with a full rack, leaving muzzle marks on the glass as he expects a handout. Nope, not feedin' the bucks, other than the mineral licks.

Speaking of which, as the deer lick the licks, they crumble into the stone dust (I won't dignify that stuff by calling it dirt). Seems a bit wasteful, so WLToo is building a little platform for them. Then the deer can lick the crumbles up, too.

The carrots may not sprout, after all. Oh, well, we have plenty more seed, and the plan was to plan every three weeks for a long term supply. We'll just have to wait longer for the first harvest. The radishes look wonderful, the onions are just barely beginning to peek through the dirt, the cabbages look good, but the cilantro and leeks are kinda puny. Yellow onions and potatoes are a long way from sprouting. This is a big experiment, anyway, to see what we can grow successfully in a keyhole garden. Watching WLToo watch the garden is very entertaining - he grew up in the big city, never had a real garden, so his fascination and delight is a joy to behold.

Spot went outside with me this morning, and promptly grabbed my pants leg. Play time commenced, with my shoe, ankle and pants leg the toys. Only after he got himself and my leg covered in dust, did he dash off after something only he could see. Later, he and Alex both strolled into the house, completely covered in dust. Of course, the Roomba had already swept the house, just in time for more dust to land everywhere. Sigh.

Time to wipe down where the boys have been. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Been a lively few days for Spot. He stomped around in the keyhole garden, forcing us to re-plant the carrots. He got into a knock down drag out fight with Sealpoint Siamese, right in front of WLToo (no damage but hair pull outs). He pushed WLToo's laptop off the cocktail table, to get WLToo's attention and to play. He snuck up behind me and bopped me in the ankle. Somebody is feeling really playful...

Mama Doe Lassie has been coming to the house alone, so she's getting fed regularly. However, we've had the young buck herd in the meadow several times now. Nice to watch, as long as they stay down there.

Alex just can't lay on either of us without leaking, so a puppy piddle pad is part and parcel of sitting down now. Poor old guy.

We're in a cold snap the next few days. Had to cover the garden last night and tonight, and will probably have to do it Friday and Saturday, too. Unfortunately, we get zero moisture out of this front. Sigh.

I think it's time for some ice cream. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spot was a busy boy today. We rearranged stuff in the garage, so we could actually find things. All the bay doors were open, which is unusual, and that attracted Spot right off. He likes to hang out with us when we're doing something in the garage.

At first, he tried to get us to let him into the "office," where he was quarantined when he first showed up. But we haven't finished organizing that room, and it would be dangerous for him, so we said no. He was kinda cute asking us, though.

When we started sweeping with the push broom, Spot just had to attack it. He was so enthusiastic that he jumped on it and rode it back and forth a few times. Naturally we didn't have a video camera...

Then he climbed into the Liberty and took a nap on the passenger seat. When WLToo started it up to move it into the garage, Spot sat up, looked a little puzzled, then jumped into the back seat. WLToo opened the back door and Spot casually strolled out and laid down under my Jeep.

And then, the FedEx truck arrived. "Ooo, boxes!" and off Spot dashed to the south door, hoping to get inside one of the boxes.

Meanwhile, Alex happily wandered in and out of the house, rolling in the dirt, and generally enjoying himself without Spot chasing him around.

All in all, it was a very busy day. Spot and Alex are asleep, and the humans need the hot tub. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks to my computer calendar sending me a reminder (that I never programmed), WLToo and I won't have our 36th anniversary sneaking up on us tomorrow. We don't usually do anything special, but I think I'll make him some chocolate brownie bites, and he can take me out to lunch or dinner. That's about as lively as we get on anniversary celebrations.

Spot's enjoying the warm days, spending more time napping on the porch than inside. Even Alex has decided to nap on the porch love seat. Alex has also rediscovered my rocking chair, so instead of sleeping on me, he's back in the rocker. I put a piddle pad under the blanket, but he doesn't seem to have peed on it yet. Must be something about his position when sleeping on my lap.

In a few days, we'll plant yellow onions and russet potatoes. That cold snap may have killed one cabbage plant, but everything else looks fine. I'm looking forward to the cubanelle peppers, pinto beans, black eye peas, and tomatoes - but it's too early to plant them.

Time to get a few other things done. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had an A-Fib attack on Valentine's Day, from 0500 til about 1100. The cats both stayed very close by, to the point of getting me overheated, which lengthened the attack. Sigh. Love 'em to be close by, but not when I'm hot.

First time I've had a long, drawn out attack since the first one that got me on medication. It's exhausting, but with the medication wasn't near as serious as it could have been. So I lazed around all day, and slept like a rock Thursday nigh. Wasn't quite up to doing my Friday workout -- instead did some flexibility and stretching exercises, then planted the garden.

Spot "helped" in the garden. We had laid out and covered the carrot seed strips and were working on the cabbage, when Spot jumped up on the garden and uncovered the carrot seed strips. When WLToo tried to cover them back up, he uncovered the next row. It was kinda funny to watch him flipping dirt this way, then that way, and those white strips reappearing. But it's finally done.

Alex is slowly losing bladder control. He's peed on me in his sleep several nights in a row. Only seems to happen when he's sleeping in my lap while I'm in a chair. Tonight I'm covering my lap with a puppy piddle pad.

WLToo just fed Mama Doe Lassie, and instead of eating, she's on alert. Earlier saw the buck herd running along the north fence line on our neighbor's property, and now she's all jumpy. No sure what's going on.

Well, we're having a cold snap tonight, so we have to go cover the garden. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
From Spot's perspective, pet finders worked quite nicely. He found himself some pets...;)

It actually rained this morning. Now the wind's blowing just enough for the air to feel chilly, so both cats are piled into nice, warm sleeping places. Spot took a quick turn outside twice, but less than five minutes each trip. Alex didn't even bother.

WLToo noticed this morning that the windmill was turning. He had not released the brake, so knew something was up. When the thunder and lightning passed by, he went out and found the brake wire was perfectly sheared off up top, and was coiled on the ground. So after our morning gym workout, we headed to the hardware store and got more wire. What he doesn't need to fix the windmill, he'll put around the top of the keyhole garden fence.

Meanwhile, we picked up carrot, radish, cucumber and lettuce seeds, and cilantro, broccoli, Napa and regular cabbage and leek transplants. When the wind dies back, it's time to plant.

Whatever the critter was that was digging in the garden, there's no sign of it since the fence and gate were finished. Got a strong skunk scent on the breeze last night, as we sat on the porch after hot tubbing. I do hope the critter wasn't the skunk. Don't want to repeat that "fun" again...

Today's workout really wore me out. One exercise involved using the weights to pull me back up from a modified squat against my own body weight. The personal trainer tested it with 120 pounds, then when I tried it, I fell right on my can. It took the full 150 pounds on the weight machine to keep me stable, and still would have been easier with more weights on the machine. Knowing I needed more weights was kind of an ego boost, for about five minutes. Then I just needed to rest.

In fact, that's a great idea. I'm gonna worm my way under the covers between the cats and take a short nap. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

computerbug
Explorer
Explorer
It's been two years now, that you have had Spot . I guess pet finders didn't work.LOL I went back and read you many posts on Spot what a feel good story. Thanks again for keeping him. Cathie

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have a mystery critter. WLToo's been working on a fence around the keyhole garden. Every night for the last month or so, something has been digging in the garden dirt. We've planted nothing in it, there's no sign of kitty droppings, so we think it might be a raccoon.

Well, today he finished the fence and gate, and closed in the garden. He smoothed the dirt, so tomorrow we should know if we've blocked whatever it was from getting to the garden. Next on the list: planning what we'll plant in the spring garden.

Spot has been following WLToo around like a puppy, wanting to participate in everything he's been doing. Unfortunately, that included using some very loud saws yesterday, while WLToo built the garden gate. Poor Spot got startled several times when he turned on the saw, and finally had to make do with hanging around with me. He certainly slept well last night, though.

He also slept well this morning, and completely missed the mailman bringing me a box. When I empty it in a bit, I'll leave it out to surprise Spot.

Solo and Notch were in the meadow, along the south fence, when I walked down to get the paper. Solo took off like his tail was on fire, but Notch strolled toward me, looking to see if I had anything good to eat. Oh, great, another buck not afraid of humans. Maybe later this year he'll turn out like Solo and get wary of us. Hope so.

Mama Doe Lassie's neck hair is all messy. It does that each winter, when she's just between a full winter coat and starting to shed. Makes her look like she lost a licking contest.

WLToo's starting the garden planning. Must participate and keep things in perspective. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It was not at all cold last night, but as we were drifting off to sleep, I felt Spot put his head and shoulders under the bedclothes. Luckily, he didn't stay -- him kneading biscuits into my back without bedclothes between me and his claws would not have been good.

Thinking about it, but not a single male cat we've had over the years ever slept under the covers. Several females did, but no males. Interesting.

No sign of hummingbirds. I guess they've departed finally. Should be back by late Feb-early Mar at latest. We'll keep the feeder out there, anyway.

WLToo found a caterpiller of indeterminate type in the kitchen today. No matter the time of year, we have bugs.

Hmmm, the fourth quarter has become interesting. Back to the Super Bowl. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat