cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
A cold front blew in this morning. The morning highs of mid-40s dropped quickly into the low 30s, with a wind chill factor of the lower 20s/upper teens. It's raining a little, may turn to sleet or snow overnight. We so hope the moisture is significant, but aren't holding our breaths.

We're curled up in the great room with the fireplace pumping out some serious heat. But the cats decamped to the bedroom, where I had placed an afghan on the bed for Alex, since Spot was hogging the plush throw.

So what happened? They're both on the afghan.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Those crackers refused to unstale, no matter what, so the deer got them. Not buying that brand again...

I moved the pantry challenge over to the Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs section.

Spot and Alex sailed through their annual exams. The vets are amazed at how healthy Alex is for such an old guy. His kidneys stay just above the borderline area, not getting better nor worse. The vet was a tad concerned about Spot possibly heading for diabetes, but he came out ok. She wanted to put him on prescription moist food, but Spot won't eat it. He's happy with the CD kibbles and his treats.

We feed Alex three times a day, with evening treats, so he's no longer losing weight. I just wish he's sleep under some covers, instead of planting himself so hard against me that he could be on the other side...

An eight point buck strolled up yesterday and ate MDL's corn. Beautiful buck, and very calm about us watching him through the window. We think the cold snap may have brought the unbred does back into season, from the way some does and all the bucks are acting.

Meanwhile, MDL's little doe herd is up to four. Two marched up to the porch with her the other day, as she came back to finish the day's corn. One looks so much like her than we're pretty sure she's a younger sister.

The hummingbirds are still here, still healthy. They must be getting energy food from somewhere else, though, since they're not drinking that much nectar.

Time to go to town. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
You know the most amazing thing I discovered about stale saltines? If you put a layer of them on a microwave-friendly plate and turn it ON, stand there and watch and when the crackers start to brown a little, turn it OFF. Let them cool and they are crisp and taste as good as new! I learned this back in the day when the kids were still at home and we didn't throw out anything.:W
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

vickiebec
Explorer
Explorer
Use those crackers to make chicken fried steak, my favorite
Vickie Wallis
Roseville, CA
2010 Mini Cooper Convertable

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
After several days of downright cold weather, during which we used the fireplace and drank lots of hot cocoa, we're now having highs in the 60s and 70s. That's a bit higher than normal, but we'll take it happily.

Alex is feeling bad today. He did not wake up WLToo for breakfast, didn't eat breakfast, ignored lunch, and is sleeping in his "I don't feel good" spot. Usually he's over it in 24 hours, but if not, both cats are already scheduled for their regular exams on Monday.

Spot, meanwhile, startled WLToo. He was in the garage looking for something and suddenly realized that Spot had stuffed himself into a small box on top of a larger box, on top of a still larger box, and was patiently staring back at WLToo. I've never seen a cat so fascinated by boxes...

We've taken on a challenge, to prepare meals using what's already in the pantry or freezer, adding only milk, eggs, and fresh fruits and veggies. Unfortunately, some items do get shoved way back in the pantry (very bad design), and so I found our saltines are way stale. Will see if Mama Doe Lassie or the other does she's gathered into a herd are interested in them. If not, into the compost.

Just added more nectar to the hummingbird feeder, although I've not actually seen the birds for a couple of days. Could be because I just haven't looked at the right time.

We actually had rain for two days - not enough to break the drought, but every little bit helps. At least the sky is clear and lovely, now that the dust is out of it.

My turn to figure out dinner. Off to the pantry. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's been below freezing the last two dawns. Luckily, that only lasted a couple hours each. Still, it's enough to keep the cats curled up on the fuzzy throw at the foot of our bed. Today's supposed to be in the high 60s again, so they might go out this afternoon.

I'm amazed at how hardy our two resident hummingbirds are. Still here, still using the feeder 5 or 6 times a day. They do have bugs to eat, apparently, since our weather rarely ever stays cold long enough to kill 'em all off.

We even have to spray our winter garden to keep the bugs off. The broccoli is doing beautifully, as are the onions and coriander (cilantro). Everything else is growing slowly.

Cleared out two more moving boxes of fabric, donating a good portion to my sister and the local thrift store.

Ah, WLToo just announced he needs veggies to top the taco meat. Off to the store. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, we had the enchiladas yesterday. New Year's Day menu has changed to ham, black eyed peas, and whatever else we throw together. That's the last day our nephew will be here; he has to fly back to Fort Eustis, VA the next day, so another family gathering here.

Except for the cooler air and a breeze, I was sorely tempted to jump into the 76 degree swimming pool this morning. I do miss my daily swims.

Alex went on a walk with me a bit ago; Spot stayed in bed. He's probably finding his extra winter weight a bit tough to haul around. We and the vet are still working on a safe weight loss plan; the present one isn't working at all. Well, every cat is different...

Mama Doe Lassie met our cousin's 2.5 year old foster child yesterday. The little one was excited to see a deer close up; MDL was not happy about something that bouncy being anywhere within view of her dish. Toddler loves animals, and even Spot let her gently stroke his head eventually.

A bit later, I watched said toddler eat all of the meat from a large chicken thigh, a whole slice of brisket, half a slice of bread, six pickle slices, and a couple ounces of ice cream. Zowie. Where did a 22 pound child put all that food? She's a definite carnivore -- pickles are her only vegetable so far, and that was the first time she'd shown any interest in bread. Left the adults sitting in open-mouthed amazement.

Time to clean the hummingbird feeder. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It was a lovely, somewhat chilly Christmas Day. We turned on the heater for Mom; wasn't cold enough to light a fire. We feasted, opened presents, watched Holiday Inn, then everyone headed home just before the Doctor Who Christmas special.

My whole family has a deep need for holdin' and pettin' the cats, so throughout the day, Alex got all the love and laptime he wanted, and Spot got far more than he liked -- until everyone left, and then Spot plopped himself on my chest.

Mama Doe Lassie and 3 other does gave the guests a show in the meadow; the two hummingbirds also showed up.

I'm still not hungry after yesterday's feast -- maybe by mid-afternoon. Luckily, we sent most of the leftovers with family, so we're not stuck with a week's worth. Just a couple more meals and we're done.

WLToo announced we'll be having enchiladas for New Year's Day. Fine, whatever, not even thinking about food for a while.

Spot wants back inside. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Xmas to you too! ๐Ÿ™‚
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got everything done. Turns out we had no brandy, so the carrots got doused with Drambuie. Tastes great.

Just sittin' here with Alex on my lap and Spot on my head (top of recliner), waiting for my feet to stop calling me names.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spot celebrated his three-year rescuing himself anniversary by running in and out of the house in a panic. When we looked outside, a turkey vulture was swooping down nearly to our swimming pool.

The vulture plainly smelled dinner, although we could not smell a thing. But his huge presence right at Spot level was enough to convince Spot he needed to stay inside that day and run from window to window.

Was nice to see a turkey vulture. The black-headed vultures are so aggressive that they've run most of the more passive turkey vultures out of the area. Both, though, are so graceful in flight. We enjoy watching them catch air currents and just glide.

We were kind of concerned, since Mama Doe Lassie hadn't been around for a number of days. Luckily, she showed up this afternoon, looking just fine. I gave her a couple of corn tortillas as a treat -- she loves those.

Did the last minute Christmas shopping on Thursday, and found an extremely soft and fluffy throw for the cats. Right. Make that for the cat. Spot claimed it, and I don't think Alex has even walked across it. I guess I'll head back and get one for him after Christmas.

Tomorrow is cooking day. Onion pie, pumpkin mousse, brandied carrots, and sauteed brussel sprouts with onions and balsamic reduction. Then off to sister's for the Christmas Eve feast of tamales, posole, borracho beans, salad, guacamole, flan, and brandy-soaked cake.

Wednesday, we continue the feasting at our place, with what I cooked Tuesday, roasted sweet potatoes, fried goose, cornbread dressing, and chocolate cake.

Thursday, I'll be back in the gym with a vengeance...

Have to go slice onions. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, whaddya know, tomorrow will be the 2 year mark for Spot.

๐Ÿ™‚

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here 'tis. WLToo got a great photo of his work. Behold the windmill lights. That's our old grain wagon in the left front:

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cleaned the muzzle prints off the door again. Sigh. Think I'll wait until just before the party starts to bother again.

Beautiful sunny day today. Makes it much easier to clean up, as we haul various things out to the garage or garage office. Finally dragged the Christmas tree box into the house, so in a few minutes we'll put up the tree.

Just a few more clean up things to do, and we'll have room for all those people. The weather's even going to cooperate, with highs in the upper 60s, so during the party hours, folks can sit outside, too.

Spot's been kind of klutzy today. He jumped up on top of the fridge, and started wallowing around on his back, like he sometimes wallows in the dirt or grass. Well, he managed to throw a plastic tea pitcher off the fridge. Scared him; he flew off the fridge and ran outside. The pitcher cracked its entire length. Oh, well, one less thing in the house...

He's taking a nap in the sun now.

Alex got a new scratcher. Took a while to find something that had no catnip, so Spot won't feel he has to pee on it. Alex avoided it all day yesterday, then early this morning, we heard him use it. There's hope now that the area rug will not die an ugly claw marked death...

Time to turn the volume up on Pandora (got my Christmas Radio up) and finish pickup up. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We're housecleaning, getting ready for a Christmas party. I steam mopped several rooms with distilled water and white vinegar, and found a couple of old kitty spray sites. Sigh. Used the Wee Cleaner and will go back later with the steam to make sure it's clean.

Meanwhile, I cleaned the north door glass twice. Deer muzzle prints both times. Mama Doe Lassie is determined to get our attention. It's pretty funny, really.

The cold nights did not get our hummingbird. It's still here, dropping by the feeder only a few times a day.

WLToo did something different this year. He hung lights from the windmill platform, under the blades, down to the ground, and tried to make a star shape at the bottom with the extra lights. It looks pretty cool. I'll get him to take a photo. Spot "helped" him stretch out the lights along the ground.

It's late, I'm tired, and Alex just leaked on my lap. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat