cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our beloved dog (Sammie) suddenly died yesterday

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
I came home from work about 8 PM to find my wife sitting on the floor crying with Sammie lying on the floor dead. She said the 2 dogs ran in the house happy to see her only moments before my arrival home. Sammie suddenly began seizing then died in her arms just a few seconds later. Sammie was a 14 year old Dachshund and such a sweet dog. She really loved camping as well as all people and enjoyed attention from anyone willing to dole it out. We will miss her dearly. My tennis/vet friend is having her cremated for us and was kind enough to meet me late last night at his office to take possession of her for us.

Our other dog, Heidi doesn't seem to miss her too much, but who knows. We want to get another dog, but will be leaving for Germany for 10 days in August. We have decided to wait until after the trip to begin the search for another family pet and companion for Heidi. Thanks for letting me "bend your ear".

Walter
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
37 REPLIES 37

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
Sammie's a beauty. I can imagine whispering secrets into those soft little ears. Oh, how hard to lose them. How old is Heidi?

Heidi may be around 5 yo. We didn't get her as a pup. She's a beauty also and wants to play ball daily. She tosses a rubber ball to me over and over day in, day out. LOL
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
wbrown62 wrote:
Here is a photo of Sammie......

Sammie's a beauty. I can imagine whispering secrets into those soft little ears. Oh, how hard to lose them. How old is Heidi?
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I just got to active topics after some time away and saw your post. I know how losing a dear pet can hurt, it doesn't matter if it's sudden like with Sammie or very long and slow as it was with my cat Spike. More than anything els losing a dear friend and companion sucks. Spikes ashes are just above my head as I sit here and that blue container reminds me of all the good times and love. It will get better but it will never quit hurting, it just becomes bearable as time goes on.

With our sympathies,

The Bishops of Eagle Rock
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
That's a beautiful picture... of a beautiful girl, of course.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
wbrown62 wrote:

What a sweet face. When I look at this picture, I have no doubt that girl knew love.

I also understand that you are missing all those little things. At some time those little things become the big things of our memories. Keep smiling at your good memories, Sammie would want you to.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Bless you for the great life you gave Sammie

Barb and the 4 chocolates
Barb and the 4 chocolates

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I am so very sorry for your loss but I am glad that she had your DW there to comfort her when the time came.

Losing a beloved Furry Kid is always tough but they will live on forever in our Hearts. I too have many happy / funny memories of my little Trouble, a mini Dachshund that was 16 when the time to cross the Bridge came. So many of things that she did that drove me nuts are now treasured memories.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

chele
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry.
2008 GMC 3500HD Duramax, Allison and fiver friendly flatbed!
1995 26' Excel Legacy

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the very kind words. There is a huge hole in my heart at the moment, but I know it will heal over time. I find myself missing the little quirks of Sammie that at times were an annoyance. She waited at the shower door every time so she could go in and lick the floor. LOL! She would stand at the doorway to the bedroom at 9 PM every night and grunt twice to let me know it was time to put her in bed for the night. She would back up to me and sit on my foot, then throw her head up when she wanted her back scratched. Curl up right against my chest at night in bed. Lots of crazy little things that I will miss dearly.

I am also glad that she passed so quick and did not suffer in any way. Again, thank you all!
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
So very sorry to hear of your loss, cherish the memories of Sammie and know that he has some wonderful fur babies waiting for him at the Rainbow Bridge.
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss...its never easy but losing them unexpectedly like that somehow seems much worse...

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sorry for your loss. I know how much you are going to miss him. It is truly a hard thing to experience.

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my God, i'm so sorry for your loss and completely understand what your going through. I'm am so sorry for your wife but as others has said it was good that she was there for her final moments. We lost our 8 y/o Boston Terrier 3 years ago this past Dec. he was the pack leader and our oldest baby, he also came in from outside one morning just as the wife was letting our boys in from there last potty break before she went to work. Our Pudgy came in the door looked up at my wife with a look like you've never seen before in your life, she picked him up he licked her on the face and he died in her arms instantly. Congestive heart failure at the age of 8. Who would have thought. You never know when the time will come, but Thank You for giving him a wonderful life.