cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: Benedryl & dogs

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to try Jesse on Benedryl to see if it helps his skin issues as it's undoubtedly some form of allergic reaction (it went nuts when everything started to bloom this past Tuesday). He's 50 lbs so I know the dose would be 50 mg. We gave him 25 mg this morning just to make sure he would react badly or be to sleep. He tolerated it well. My question is would he get the same benefit if we give him 25 mg twice a day vs. 50 once a day? We're not even sure if it's going to help but since it won't hurt it's worth a shot.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
17 REPLIES 17

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Code2High wrote:
He'd get the fifty two or three times a day.

Benadryl takes some getting used to with dogs, because it just does not affect them the way it does humans. If there's a sedative effect at all, it is VERY subtle.

This. Some dogs have an idiosyncratic reaction - they get hyper on the high end dose.

Also benadryl is probably not the best antihistamine choice for dogs, though it is usually used first because of it's cost and availability. Hydroxyzine and doxepin seem to have more universal results.

There is a new medication, Apoquel that works on allergy (also food allergy) in a different way and precludes the need for cortisone in many cases.

Earl is spot on in reference to grain free diets.Doug, DVM

Thank you!

Not to mention the extent of all the dog food companies jumping on this grain free band wagon. :R

Which in turn increases the foods protein and fat levels to off the charts. And I know most pet owners are not even reading the labels to see just how much the protein/fat levels increase in a a grain free product.:(

IMHO I think the vets are going to be seeing an increase of liver and kidney problems passing thru their clinics due to owners switching unnecessarily to such high protein/fat dog food.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dturm
doxiemom11 wrote:
Flax oil is good for dry itchy skin, but it doesn't help will pollen allergy. The vinegar is a natural antiseptic so may be soothing to irritated skin, however watch for skin irritation if used often. It is also acidic and can irritate the skin, so always use it diluted.

Actually, flax oil is a poor choice as a source of Omegas for dogs and cats. They lack the enzymes to metabolize them to the active forms, thus about 90% is wasted. Much better to go with marine sources.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flax oil is good for dry itchy skin, but it doesn't help will pollen allergy. The vinegar is a natural antiseptic so may be soothing to irritated skin, however watch for skin irritation if used often. It is also acidic and can irritate the skin, so always use it diluted.

Karfae69
Explorer
Explorer
Our vet recommended flax oil as a alternative to Benadryl without the sleepy effects

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Living in FL, our labs are prone to allergies in blooming times. For years they tolerated a dose or two a day of Benedryl during the worst times, until my vet said wash them in Head and Shoulders (for itchy scalp) a couple times a week. Pollen sits on the hair and doesn't go away unless washed away. It's been 3 yrs since they had any Benedryl. I only wash them with Head and Shoulders now…tho not as often until the pollen soars!

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Always so bizarre to give my 9.5 lb chi a dose of benadryl that would put me out cold for hours and have her not even notice except it stops the sneezing.

A rub-down with a dampened microfiber cloth after being out might not be a bad idea.

I have heard of using raw local honey for pollen allergies in dogs, but have not tried it. When I get into a very bad spot, a tablespoon of raw local honey is my go-to. It will stop a reaction where nothing else will.

Quercetin/bromelain combo is something I like for humans and dogs.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all. Jesse's already on a grain-free diet. Been to the vet numerous times. We have finally figured out that he "blossoms" exactly when the pollen starts in full force. I'd love to keep him in during peak pollen times, but that's when he gets out because both of us work during the day. Bedding does get washed but probably not often enough. We also treat topically.

Dr. Doug, I had come across Apoquel when I was doing net research on causes/cures. Up until this year, he hadn't really be itchy. My vet also brought it up but he hadn't started the itchies yet. Will try 50mg of Benedryl twice a day to see if it helps. May also try the apple cider vinegar wash which has also been recommended. Will keep everyone posted!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another thought: since it's pollen allergies - be sure and wash Jesse's bedding often, because they can bring so much pollen in on their coats (one of the reasons they say people with allergies should NOT let their pets sleep in bed with them). Also: pollen counts tend to be denser when the temps are cool, so limiting Jesse's outdoor time in the evening or early morning might help?

(The tree pollen around here is awful, right now)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
Code2High wrote:

Benadryl takes some getting used to with dogs, because it just does not affect them the way it does humans. If there's a sedative effect at all, it is VERY subtle.

This. Some dogs have an idiosyncratic reaction - they get hyper on the high end dose.

Also benadryl is probably not the best antihistamine choice for dogs, though it is usually used first because of it's cost and availability. Hydroxyzine and doxepin seem to have more universal results.

There is a new medication, Apoquel that works on allergy (also food allergy) in a different way and precludes the need for cortisone in many cases.

Earl is spot on in reference to grain free diets.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Code2High wrote:

Agreed. And 50 mg. is on the low end of the dosage range, which is generally 0.5 to 2 mg. per pound of body weight given every 8 to 12 hours. So I wouldn't hesitate to give him 75 mg. three times a day, and I wouldn't waste time fooling with such a small dosage (25 mg.) that it likely won't have any impact at all.

I don't know what timed-release Benadryl is. You want plain old diphenydramine with nothing else in it.

Be aware that Benadryl won't help all dogs. It's usually the first antihistamine recommended because it's inexpensive and safe and many people already have it on hand. There are lots of other antihistamines that can given to dogs, many of which probably work better for more dogs than Benadryl does. So treat it as a starting point and be prepared to try something else.

I have seen Benadryl have a strong sedative effect on some dogs, and even large doses have no sedative effect at all on other dogs.

I would also recommend bathing him as often as possible. Right now I'm giving my allergy dog Zyrtec twice a day and a bath once a week and it's keeping things tolerable. I wouldn't hesitate to bathe an allergy dog every other day if necessary.

Here's a vet site that has some really good allergy information you might want to read through -- Link

Earl E wrote:
DavisK wrote:
My vet said that grain-free dog food helps dogs with allergies.

Only true with grain allergies not pollen. Actually, very few dogs, just like humans, have food allergies. For those few it helps...for the rest, dog food producers are just trying to sell their food.

Agreed.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
DavisK wrote:

Only true with grain allergies not pollen. Actually, very few dogs, just like humans, have food allergies. For those few it helps...for the rest, dog food producers are just trying to sell their food.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Wally_Walleye
Explorer
Explorer
split the dose, 25 in am and 25 in pm, will cover for 24 hours instead of just 6. If it doesn't start to help in 2 to 3 days take the dog to the vet. There are other things they can give you to help reduce the reaction. Good Luck

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds