cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVing with a dog

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
We have a miniature Schnauzer that is a year old. We've taken him on a couple trips with us but we wonder what does everyone do with their pets when they are out and about all day? So far we've elected to just not take him on our trips if we are planning on doing anything that will keep us out of the RV for most of the day but I see so many dogs in campgrounds that I'm thinking not everybody just stays around and never does anything.

We love taking him and he is a great little traveler. At home he has a doggy door so he can go outside whenever he wants. When we're traveling he holds it for longer than necessary....as my mom would say he has a good holder. We hate to leave him for hours in the RV alone as that seems mean and while I don't think he barks while we're gone I can't be 100% sure. I've never heard him but I wouldn't put money on it.
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
14 REPLIES 14

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies. I think what was making us nervous is the doggy door he has at home. Quite a few asked what we do at home and advised we do the same thing in the RV but we can't. As I said he has a doggy door so he goes outside whenever he likes, also, our daughters are in and out throughout the day. One is in college and works part time. Her schedule is much different than ours and she is frequently home until 10:00 or 11:00 and Freddy hangs out with her. Our other daughter is an EMT and works Wednesday - Saturday 12-12 so she's home quite a bit also. When we RV its just hubby, me and Freddy with no doggy door. This is why I was asking, because our RV time is so much different than our home time.

He is a great traveller, friendly and doesn't bark. I think I'll take the suggestions of keeping times away from him to 4-6 hours, leaving the TV on to keep him company and drown out noises, letting the hosts know he's there and continue to just try to find dog friendly places and using day care for the few times we might be gone longer.

We enjoy national parks and they are not very dog friendly!

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
Our three dogs come with us. Some things that help are:
- keep a consistent potty schedule at home and while camping
- we keep blinds closed and radio on while we are away from the camper. I always ask neighbors if they have heard them so I know they don't bark.
- take them for a good walk and potty before being left for an extended length of time

We enjoy travelling with our bunch, in 2013 we took a 10,000km trip and they were fantastic 🙂
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, when we're in the RV we treat our dogs pretty much like we do at home. If the weather is nice and we're doing a dog friendly activity then they come with us. Otherwise they stay in the RV just like they would stay at home when we're doing things that they can't be a part of. They do so much walking/hiking/sightseeing/meeting new people and other dogs when we're traveling that they always seem pretty happy to have some down time now and then.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've adapted our lifestyle around our dog! OK... when the kids were little, we never let the kids drive anything in our lives. We were "Mom and Dad!" They went and did it "our way" or they just went 'without'!

But now that the kids are gone, well.... our lifestyle has definately been wrapped around our doggie's little paw!

Bottom line. If the dog cannot go with us, we just don't go! Period! We've purchase dog carriers, dog strollers, even a baby stroller, so we can take the dog into places that frown on pets. If contained in a stroller or a carrier, most companies, businesses, don't mind. But we do run into some places were the dog simply is not allowed. When that happens, we just don't patronize them. It's just that simple. We never leave the dog alone in the camper. Does this take some planning and fore-thought! Yup! We are our dog's entire world. If we are not with him, his world just fell apart. What kind of vacation is that for the little guy? HUM?

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I "full-time" for during Mar-Apr and Sep-Oct in Yuma AZ. I live in Tampa FL and my dog Rocco has been across country with me for last 8 years. He stays in RV when I am at work. We walk about 2 miles every morning and 1mile every evening. I leave AC on (as I am plugged in) and make sure he has plenty of water.

Office knows he is in there - so if power goes off they will call me.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
What do you do with them when you leave your house? Do the same thing.

There are very simple ways to keep them from barking.

We use 6 hours as a maximum time away.

If it is hot, we also let the campground office/gate know we are going out. Leave them our site # and cell phone number. We ask them to call us if the power goes out.

Same here, 6 hrs!! I really can't see the difference between dogs staying in an RV or at home unless your dogs are continuously barking.
If we know there's a lot of action outside our RV spot we crate our two dogs, close all blinds and turn on the tv.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take the Collies (why I bought a RV). I never go out for more then 4 hours. I go back to the RV for lunch and take them out. When I'm gone I leave the A/C and TV or radio on to mask outside noise. When I get back I take them on a long walk. The Collies sleep while I'm gone. If the weather is cool enough or I'm just exploring the Collies go with me.

I agree with Dog Folks that I leave my cell number at the office and I never lock the door. If something would happen they could be rescued.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We always take our Golden with us. We are never gone "all day", but frequently are gone several hours. But she is used to us also being gone at home for several hours at a time. Daily walks or just being outside keeps her tired enough that she probably welcomes the break so that she can get some serious nap time. We alway take her for a short walk to do her business before leaving. She just goes up into the bedroom, curls up in a dark corner, and snoozes until we return.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
What do you do with them when you leave your house? Do the same thing.

There are very simple ways to keep them from barking.

We use 6 hours as a maximum time away.

If it is hot, we also let the campground office/gate know we are going out. Leave them our site # and cell phone number. We ask them to call us if the power goes out.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
So far the day kennel sounds like the best plan. I never thought of a day care type arrangement and is something we will look into.

We've always had dogs and went two years between our last one and this one because we worried about these exact situations and didn't think it was fair to a dog to board them for the duration of our trips because we want to go hiking for a day but our nephew had gotten this little guy and then was terribly allergic to him and we just fell in love with him so now we're trying to make our lifestyle match his 🙂

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Find a Day Kennel.
Some Vets have Day Care.
The CG or RV park may have someone to watch your pet.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We have three Chihuahuas that always go with us and they love to camp. We have a portable kennel for night for two to sleep in, one sleeps on the bed with us. During the day when we are around we put out a portable outside fence thingy. When we leave them we leave the TV or a radio on and this keeps them quiet.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 dogs and had a cat that has passed. Take them all everywhere we travel. Just treat it the same as home and you should be able to do whatever you do at home when you leave. Make a fuss and treat them different and you will probably have issues. It is really just your home on wheels and if treated that way should be no difference. Our girls beg for their afternoon naps, beg to go to bed at their time and eat just as we are home. It is all in the training of you and your pet home and away.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
We take our dog with us 99% of the time. We find dog friendly restaurants. Take the extra time to include your dog in your activities. Everyone will benefit.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.