cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions needed after dog is gone ....

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Miss Petunia is 9 lbs of Chi .. she is not doing well, and her quality of life is not as it should be .. have decided to do 'right' by her ...

After she is gone will need to excess her two beds, dog dishes,canvas night kennel, clothes, car dog seat/basket with leash restraint, canned food, etc. Toys will be tossed as old.

If there is a better way than Goodwill, or thrift store, we are in the McMinnville/Salem Oregon area, and need suggestions.

Just want to ensure all is in place, so less to think about afterwards (in 2 weeks or so).

Will be keeping her ashes, also, and haven't asked the vet yet if they come in a container or ? That is left to do yet. Is hard, and may come across in the written form as 'clinical', but definitely not how my eyes/heart feels at writing this, just need help the above.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
31 REPLIES 31

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
After we lost Buddy in Nov, we donated his things to the county shelter. You don't have to do it immediately. Take some time to grieve.

It made us feel better knowing that it would give ease other dogs less fortunate.

It took time, but now we only focus on our memories and not his pain. He is dearly missed.

Panthercity...now there's not a dry eye on the forum!
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

dfrost
Explorer
Explorer
Panthercity....that made me cry!!! We had to put both of our furbabies down last year....one in the beginning and the other at the end.

So very sorry for having to say goodbye to Petunia. I know too well the sadness you feel at this time!!
Bruce & Terry
2003 F250 Lariet CC w/7.3 PSD Fx4 Full gauge pack
2009 Laredo 245RL 5th wheel
1990 27' HiLo (TT with a Vertical Slide)
2 Chi's, Spencer and Lexi

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for the delay in my posting and for your loss. I too just made that oh so very difficult decision last Friday. My heart goes out to you in your difficult days ahead.

Doug

panthercity
Explorer
Explorer
We lost our long-time truck dog and companion several months ago. This did the most for me.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of you all day... I'm so sorry for your loss, but I know you are just grateful for the blessing she was. RIP Miss Petunia. You did your job very well.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

2dogtravellin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss.

We lost our Cameron at the beginning of December. I brought his bowls, harness and collars to our local Humane Society. They were thrilled to have them. It felt good to have his things put to good use.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA POPPY wrote:
Good for you and good for Petunia. You are very brave and we all know how hard it is. Also, I completely agree about the decision to not have another dog. I think it is hard for younger people to comprehend, but we are being realistic and only fair to the potential new pet. Darcy will be our last dog, too. You're fortunate to have other dogs in your life. Be brave, spoil that girl rotten with her favorite treats this week. You are absolutely doing the right thing.
Judy

We will definitely be spoiling our family and friends' dogs and those we meet along the way, may keep treats handy to share as know a couple of them are very fond of specific treats. Thank you for the words of comfort ..

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sharing something I wrote on my Facebook page today both this morning and after we returned from the vet and a trip into town for some relaxation. Thank you all for listening as we made this journey with a little 10 lb Chihuahua name of Petunia who came into our lives as a rescue in 2006 ... we have many pictures and memories of her.

20 Feb 2015 - 11 a.m. : We are making the last trip to the vet with the 10 or 11 year old dog we rescued in 2006 - yes Miss Petunia is going to the Bridge today .. chose to take her blanket and be with her as the vet inserts needle .. Think she has a collapsing trachea causing her to gasp for air when she get upset/excited, and today did eat her breakfast. Went from a ½ mile walk to about 50 ft. walk. Sure miss her little coyote howl. This is an act of Love, pure and simple, and she will travel with us in a Memorial box. Took a lot of pictures and next week her 'gear' will be going to a No Kill Dog Shelter in McMinnville where they have a thrift shop. Told my Facebook Friends that may not be on Facebook for a couple of day.
Sharing what I wrote on my Facebook page today - both this morning and just a few minutes ago. Thank you everyone for your caring and listening .. now have so many pictures and memories of a delightful little Chihuahua name of Miss Petunia who came into our lives as a rescue in 2006, and brighten our lives.
------------------------
20 Feb 2015 - 7 pm - Thank you all for the thoughts .. she had lost weight and went from 10 lbs to 8.8 lbs in less than 4 months .. vet gave her a relaxant and I held her while the sedative took affect, then laid here onto her bedtime pink soft blanket, then vet came back in and was very nice and caring, she talked while giving her the final shot. They carried her away wrapped in her blanket. Have all the photos and memories to keep along with the box with her ashes which will pick up next week.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you and good for Petunia. You are very brave and we all know how hard it is. Also, I completely agree about the decision to not have another dog. I think it is hard for younger people to comprehend, but we are being realistic and only fair to the potential new pet. Darcy will be our last dog, too. You're fortunate to have other dogs in your life. Be brave, spoil that girl rotten with her favorite treats this week. You are absolutely doing the right thing.
Judy
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, Magnusfide, know you mean well, but at our age it would not be fair to either us or the dog. We will just enjoy our adult children's dogs to walk, etc. And will be available to babysit or walk other's dogs.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went to the vet today to make final arrangements for Friday, the 20th, it isn't anyone in the family's birthday, anniversary, etc. so works great to not put anything with that date. Oh, and the receptionist gave me the phone number for the local rescue, so will make the call tomorrow to donate her things, except for an outfit or two, her collar, etc.
And yes, we will bring her ashes home in a nice little box, she will be with us as we travel this year. Oh, have been taking pictures to keep .. Thank you everyone.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoadXYZ wrote:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers, will be calling the vet on Tuesday to schedule a time the following week, as she was nauseous this morning, and is having more problems after barking. Did take some great photos this afternoon on the 1/2 mile walk thru where Fort Yamhill bldgs. used to be here in Oregon. She sleeps almost all night & day whether we walk or not.

Again thank you all for your kind thoughts. Shalom.

Shalom to you and for her. When you are ready, please consider rescuing another in her name. The legacy of love through the years is absolutely a gift.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers, will be calling the vet on Tuesday to schedule a time the following week, as she was nauseous this morning, and is having more problems after barking. Did take some great photos this afternoon on the 1/2 mile walk thru where Fort Yamhill bldgs. used to be here in Oregon. She sleeps almost all night & day whether we walk or not.

Again thank you all for your kind thoughts. Shalom.

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
It is such a hard decision but the one that shows how much you love her...and she knows it. I took all of our girls winter coats, sweaters, stroller and beds to a rescue that has a tuck shop..they were thrilled to get them, the stroller was sold before I left the store...all the money goes to care for the shelter dogs...
Bellas ashes were returned in an urn which I had chosen and they did her pawprints in clay...both sit on my bedside table her in S.A ..I will be thinking of you in the up coming weeks...