cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up date on Sassy and her amputation surgery

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
It was one week ago today that Sassy underwent her surgery to remove her left hind leg due to ostiosarcoma (bone cancer). The idea of the surgery was to make whatever time she has left as pain free as possible. I am told that MOST of the time when the disease is discovered it has already began spreading to other organs in the body.

Sassy came through the surgery well and was up and walking around the next day. She spent three days in the hospital then came home with me to continue recovery. She seemed to be happy and loving as always and they were amazed at how quickly she progressed while in the hospital.

There is no signs of the disease spreading so I remain hopeful she will be one of the small percentages who see a prolonged remission or cure from the amputation and after treatment.

I am allowed to take her outside for potty breaks and to get some fresh air and she REALLY REALLY wants to go for a walk. We go a couple of doors down from her back yard and back for now but she sees the doctor on Friday when they will likely ok her for some increasing exercise (she's ready for it).

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragements. They help more than you may know. Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
16 REPLIES 16

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
So glad to hear that Sassy's doing well!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Happy to here her surgery went well and she is back home with you. :C

Years back I made the same decision you have regarding amputation.
I have never regretted doing so. My dog lived a very happy and comfortable life afterwards. It is SO amazing how they adapt.

Was it a front or back leg?

If it is a back leg we were showed by the vets that simply putting your hand under their tail assists them in going up the stairs, that worked so well that we had a hard time keeping up with her as she flew up the stairs!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to here that Sassy is doing well, thanks for the update.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good news! Thank you for caring for her and giving her every opportunity for a good life.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Great, that's the update I was hoping to hear. I too believe that with his age and it hasn't spread you have given him the best chance at a good life and probably much longer one than you may have thought!

Sassy will live up to her name and be running around in no time at all !!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad things went well.
Hoping she has a speedy recovery.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
Super news! Glad things are going so good. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
She's a real trooper...and so are you! Best of luck and keep us posted on future progress.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Skip that is great to hear the update. I was wondering earlier today about you and then I discovered your update. We will continue praying for you all.

Doug

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
so glad Sassy is doing so well..prayers for continued well health...

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best of luck to Sassy. I have a tripod lab named Trooper. The previous owner backed over him and then dropped him off at the vet's office to be euthanized. He lost one front leg and the other one was badly injured. The vet tech paid for his medical care and gave him to me to nurse back to health and rehome. I couldn't let him go after what we went through. He's been with me for the last six years.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
It all sounds encouraging! Best wishes to you and Sassy 🙂
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
Since she's so young (and you caught it fairly early)--you are giving her the best chance through amputation. Sending puppy thoughts and prayers from our house to yours that she is one of the lucky ones through all of this (of course, she's lucky already to have you).

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
So glad to hear Sassy is doing so well after her surgery!

Hopefully all is well and no additional issues and she can have a happy life!

Thank you for updating us, we all love our pets like children.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992