cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 Volt Inverter

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
The wife wants to watch tv while we're camping.
So I got everything I thought i would need?
12 volt inverter http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-400-Watt-12-Volt-120-Volt-Inverter/dp/B001RNOHBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373156849&sr=1-1&keywords=12+volt+inverters
12 volt lcd tv
VIP211k HD Receiver with hard drive that I took out of our bedroom

So here's the problem when I turn everything on the inverter gives a low battery warning?
My batteries are not low slightly over 13 volts with the solar charging the two new group 27 batteries.
What i think I need is a heavier cord to go from my 12 volt power outlet (it says 8 amps on the wall plate seems like more then enough ?) Do they make a 12 gauge power cord?
It works fine if I hook it up one of my old batteries direct with a heavier wire. I would like to be able to plug it into my power outlets so I can move it from the living room to the bedroom without having to hard wire the inverter.
Thanks Gary
Gary
27 REPLIES 27

MrWizard
12v * 8amps = 96 watts
your tv and your sat receiver are using more than that
so you get a voltage drop
relocate the inverter closer to the batteries But not in the same compartment
run New 120v circuit to the TV and sat receiver
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Plug that sucker into that currant bush. I don't think the Sopranos have made it to the printing press yet, nor the NFL playoffs. My last TV was an Emerson that caught fire what, 25 years ago. Maybe more than that. A friend cured me of television forever - he purchased a flat screen so huge, it had to be placed twenty feet away to see the screen. The speakers didn't sound good way over yonder. So he has some kind of super pre-amplifier amplifier, equalizer gizmos with five remotes. You have to blast the sound to hear it, and I measured 480 watts sucked up when everything is on. He got sorta mad when I told him he was a pretty fartsmeller to come up with a system like that.

DonJ68
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I PLUG INTO ONE OF THESE

I've tried but can't seem to get them to work. Where does the DVD go? :?

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Mine draws 3W when idle. And if I turn it off it draws nothing. DC-DC converter losses are similar to inverters unless you get a really nice (read more expensive) model.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Inverters rob 5-20w power even when nothing is plugged into them. I like using converters wherever possible to save power.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I PLUG INTO ONE OF THESE

DonJ68
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
If you are using a 12 Volt TV set, you don't need the inverter.

Most 12 volt televisions also include a 110v power cord in case you hookup to shore power!

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
no transfer switch?
There's one for genny/shore power but I did not add another one. Don't need too.

EDIT: By using the shore cord, I'm still using the built-in transfer switch.

BFL13 wrote:

The two cords thing might be where each receptacle only does half the rated watts of the inverter. One inverter model has 1000w rating but each receptacle has a limit of 500w eg.

Many inverters will do the whole thing from one receptacle, but you have to read their manuals on-line to make sure, and even then IMO phone their tech support and try to pin them down on that topic, to be even more sure before buying that model.
X2, my Go Power 300W PSW inverter will do the whole 300W from one receptacle.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
mustangglp wrote:
Thanks for all the help
I hardwired the inverter with 8 gauge wire with a 36 inch of wire run it seams to work if i run two cords it won't work if I run one! The hard drive and the satellite receiver must take quite a bit of power they don't seem to have any UL power specifications but they do put out a lot heat.
I guess I need to think about a bigger inverter If I do that I will want more solar panels. and a dedicated stating battery for the generator.

The two cords thing might be where each receptacle only does half the rated watts of the inverter. One inverter model has 1000w rating but each receptacle has a limit of 500w eg.

Many inverters will do the whole thing from one receptacle, but you have to read their manuals on-line to make sure, and even then IMO phone their tech support and try to pin them down on that topic, to be even more sure before buying that model.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
mustangglp wrote:
Simplygib wrote:
While boondocking I have the inverter connected to the batteries with 10 ga. wire. My rig's 120v power cord is plugged in to the inverter. That way all my 120v outlets are live and I can plug in the (in my case, laptop) anywhere I want. If you go this route you will want to make sure your converter is disconnected first, and don't try to run stuff like microwaves, a/c, hair dryers or welders (;)) on it.

So how do you go about disconnecting the converter:h that would be sweet
the only downfall I can see would be having to go outside and switch the plug to run the generator. I could mount the inverter in the generator compartment right next to the batteries?

Like mena661, I just unplug the converter. Mine plugs into an outlet and is easy to get to. Sounds like you got it figured out.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help
I hardwired the inverter with 8 gauge wire with a 36 inch of wire run it seams to work if i run two cords it won't work if I run one! The hard drive and the satellite receiver must take quite a bit of power they don't seem to have any UL power specifications but they do put out a lot heat.
I guess I need to think about a bigger inverter If I do that I will want more solar panels. and a dedicated stating battery for the generator.
Gary

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a typical trailer hookup mounting the INVERTER in the pass thru storage area very close to the 12VDC batteries... I use the PSW type inverter here so that I don't ever have to worry about plugging my expensive home entertainment items into the inverter 120VAc source.

I started out with a 300WATT Inverter setup in my OFF-ROAD POPUP setup but kept adding more items to the emergency power source and finally ended up with a PSW AIMS 600WATT Inverter. I have two 120VAC drops here one going to the home entertainment area ad the other going to the tent bed table top. Always have something 120VAC you want to plug in hehe... All that is visible is the multiport 120VAC receptacle at these locations. All wiring is inside WIREMODE duct work.

food for thought
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mena661 wrote:
I put a 30 amp receptacle in my MH's shore cord compartment. From there it goes to a 20 amp plug. The plug goes to a 300W PSW inverter. The inverter is hard wired to my batteries. All I have to do is turn my converter off. My converter and inverter are in the same compartment so I just unplug the converter and turn on the inverter.

no transfer switch?

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
mustangglp wrote:

So how do you go about disconnecting the converter:h that would be sweet
the only downfall I can see would be having to go outside and switch the plug to run the generator. I could mount the inverter in the generator compartment right next to the batteries?
Yes get it close as you can to the batteries. I just unplug my converter. When I had a 5th wheel the converter shared a breaker with the outlets. I moved it to its own breaker but my MH already had it on a separate breaker. Some people put an on/off switch on the converters 120V line.