Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V auxilly power

Keith1000
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
First post here.
I have a 05 pilgram TT new to me. To my surprise there is no auxiliary power (aka lighter socket) I was planning on tieing a socket into a nearby light . Is there any issues that will arise by doing this?
I did this once in a old previous TT I had and every time I started the generator it would blow the fuse in my cell phone charger. When I measured the voltage in the light with generator running the light spiked to 13.xx volts. 12.xx just on battery. I'm not sure if something was wrong with the converter in that unit.
So the question here is how do I avoid this "spike" in the new trailer? Would a regulator or something be needed to complete this project?

Thx Keith
12 REPLIES 12

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keith1000 wrote:
The biggest question here is why did a 2005 come without one. Do not all trailers have them? Let's all chime in your year and model and if you have one or not. I'll tackle this plugg on the weekend.
Thx

My 2017 Airstream came with exactly zero (0) of the 12v outlets. I have added two. I put one below the mattress on the side of the bed for my CPAP, and one under the dinette for anything else that I may need.

Now, it DID come with an abundance of 5v USB type outlets.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Keith1000
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Ok your plan is to tie teh 12 volt Acc outlet to a nearby light.

The only issue is the size of the wires and fuse. A 12 volt outlet at the most is rated 20 amps but most are only rated 10.. (You have to look hard to find a 20) the light circuit may not have 20 amps to spare if you have not upgraded to LED lights.

Now I have not seen the wires in your RV but the ones in mine. No problem

IF your intent is to run say.... Cell phone chargers.

IGnore nearly everythign save the words "NO PROBLEM" above

Hi. Thx. Yes its just for a lighter style plug for a cell phone charger.

Keith

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Keith1000 wrote:
Wow. Thank you all for the quick replies. I was just going to tie into the +- of the light near the shelf that will be the "charging station". The biggest question here is why did a 2005 come without one. Do not all trailers have them? Let's all chime in your year and model and if you have one or not. I'll tackle this plugg on the weekend.
Thx

My experience is that most RVs come with one 12vdc accessory receptacle behind the television. I always have to add more.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok your plan is to tie teh 12 volt Acc outlet to a nearby light.

The only issue is the size of the wires and fuse. A 12 volt outlet at the most is rated 20 amps but most are only rated 10.. (You have to look hard to find a 20) the light circuit may not have 20 amps to spare if you have not upgraded to LED lights.

Now I have not seen the wires in your RV but the ones in mine. No problem

IF your intent is to run say.... Cell phone chargers.

IGnore nearly everythign save the words "NO PROBLEM" above
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Moved from technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Keith1000
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Thank you all for the quick replies. I was just going to tie into the +- of the light near the shelf that will be the "charging station". The biggest question here is why did a 2005 come without one. Do not all trailers have them? Let's all chime in your year and model and if you have one or not. I'll tackle this plugg on the weekend.
Thx

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I was planning on tieing a socket into a nearby light . Is there any issues that will arise by doing this?" Wire size! What will you attempt to power on that wire? What else is on that line?

"and every time I started the generator..." Solar is much easier to power everything except A/C and microwave.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use a USB port specifically designed for use in vehicles. Four or five dollars for a snap in outlet, a dual one rated at 1.0 and 2.1 amp for charging Apple products about 6 or 7 dollars.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
13.xx volts is not your issue, auto plugs run at 13.xx volts.

Do you disconnect the load when starting the generator?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keith1000 wrote:
Are there any issues that will arise by doing this?
So the question here is how do I avoid this "spike" in the new trailer?
Yes, you don't want to draw much power through that socket.

To avoid it, either turn off your converter or don't have generator or shore when charging phone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you plug into 120v AC the camper automatically switches over to the Converter power as a source of DC, of courseโ€ฆ
The converter will put out 13.xx to 14 volts, and you notice the lights get brighter as compared to the battery. The converter is charging the battery so needs to have a slightly higher voltage than the battery has. This is not a "spike" and should be perfectly fine and good with all DC appliances and devices.
It is odd that you are blowing your phone charger, is your charger a really cheap one? $3? Maybe the solution is to get a better phone charger. A charger should be able to handle 13 or 14 volts easily, your truck will be making up to 14 volts through the alternator (usually in the 13.xx range as your camper converter), so the phone charger surely is made for this similar voltage.
You pulled 12v positive off the light, where did you ground it? Although I have done the same and pulled 12+ from one side of the light and 12- from the other and everything played well togetherโ€ฆ

You could wire your DC outlet to run off the battery only, but that is more work to run wires and fuses than just tapping into existing wiring.

I would first try another charger before moving forward

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I got my Starcraft OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer new in 2008 it only had two 120VAC circuit breaker zones and four 12V Fuse zones. All of the multiple 12VDC zones were all behind the simple power center all twisted together into the four 12V fuse zones using those large YELLOW twist connectors... What a rats nest of wiring haha...

First thing I did was get rid of all of that by installing a WFCo Power Distribution center that had five large 120VAC Circuit breaker slots and eleven 12VDC Fuses zones. It was pretty easy to hookup as all of the wiring already came to the same area...

Now when I want to add something like a Battery charging station etc it is so easy to tap into one of the 12V zones at the Power Distribution area. Used to have some spare zones but now they are all filled up. Always finding a need to hook up something...

Google image...

As you want to add more zones you can use these Blue Sea sub panels...

Google image...

Then every thing is properly fuse protected and no RATS NEST of wiring...

I also like to use the covered 12VDC two conductors called BOAT CABLE.

Something like this drawing of my WFCO Power distribution Panel...

Roy's image

This is what I do at any rate haha... Makes like much easier hehe... Time for me to start thinking solar panels and wiring...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS