cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1986 Onan BFA 4 - Starts every time, but runs just 5 sec.

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
So today I finally got around to pulling the top off the carb, including float, needle and spring. But first I started er' up and ran her for a minute or so. But I didn't want to heat her up before taking it apart, so I shudder' down.

Got 'er all put back together after the clean. Verified everything in it's proper place with photos. Went to start her up and...

1. Ran for a few seconds. Probably running on carb and choke cleaner. Bowl was empty. Probably should have put some gas in the bowl before putting the lid back on.

2. Then wouldn't start forever.

3. Sprayed a little carb and choke cleaner in the air cleaner and got 'er to fire up.

4. Now time after time she will start... run beautifully for about 5 seconds and then shut down.

The weirdest part (to my anyway) is what's going on in the clear fuel filter (fairly new, by the way.) It's only about a third full of gas, which bothers me a bit, but what's weird is... when I hit the start switch, I can see gas flowing into it. But after she fires up, it seems to quit. Then 5 seconds later, she dies.

The fuel filter is sitting intake side up. So there isn't any air flowing down into the fuel pump.

Coach currently on shore power.

I need the generator by morning.

Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Kendall
20 REPLIES 20

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
You said you removed the tank lid? Is that the gas cap? If it is and the generator kept running, then I suspect at sometime you replaced the gas cap with a non vented cap and it should be a vented cap.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Hope that fixes it! Older RVs can have a problem with the generator fuel line rubber. Usually the factory chassis fuel lines are resistant to alky but the hoses that the RV mfgs use for the genny feed can be cheaper stuff that modern gas attacks.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it's in Start Mode, the Control Unit bypasses safeties like oil pressure and checking for output. When you release the switch into RUN, Control starts sniffing around for problems. I suspect it's either

1. Finding something actually wrong, and protecting you from the consequences or

2. Keeping you from having A/C because it thinks something's wrong that isn't

A bad fuel pump is always a possibility. There's probably a generic replacement that bolts right in. We had a BFA and I replaced ours with a little Purolator generic. There are "Standard (sometimes called High) Pressure" ones 5-7 PSI and "Low Pressure" more like 3 PSI. BFA calls for "Low" and it worked fine.

Do you have a Service Manual for BFA? I kept mine, and can scan the troubleshooting pages for you if you like. PM me with your email ID.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
***EDIT*** Next morning... same trouble. So the post below is now obsolete.

Yeah, I figured the fuel pump could be acting up.

Oil level dead on.

So after some more searches, I came across the obvious ideas of low pressure in the gas tank or a kinked supply line or some other supply issue. So I took the tank lid off. Then went around and noticed the filter was nearly full. So I started 'er up and she ran and ran. BUT... the fuel filter was dropping fast and would just maintain above empty while fuel was coming in.

So I looked underneath the rig and the rubber line appeared a bit kinked where it met up with the steel. I straightened it out and so far so good!

Fingers crossed, prayers said, rabbit's foot and Buddha belly rubbed, etc. etc...

Dry camping tomorrow. Supposed to hit 100. Some A/C sure wouldn't hurt.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Kendall

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fuel pump is shot
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Are we sure the oil level is okay? Genny has a low oil shut down that kills genny if no oil pressure sensed.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind