cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 watt Champion Inverter Gen worked great

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just got back from 4 weeks in the Rockies and used our Champion 2000i to top off our batteries about every other day. I was concerned that the gen would not run well at high elevations. we were above 9000 ft for over a week and above 7000 for 3 weeks. The generator started on the second pull every time and ran without any hesitation or hiccups.

When I turn off the generator, I always turn off my breakers, unplug the cord, turn off the gas and let the generator run the carb dry.

I was impressed that the generator worked so well at those elevations. I had heard horror stories about units not working well at elevation.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired
11 REPLIES 11

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok Ralph
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
My cat's breath smells like cat food

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was able to fire up the microwave while running the gen without any problems. Before using the microwave, I turned off the eco mode switch. The gen that I have is one of the black and yellow suitcase units. I picked it up last spring for $360 as a close out for last years model from Home Depot with free delivery to the store.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it ran but not at the rated power. Glad you do not need max power. Above 4,000 feet there starts a noticeable loss in power as you ascend. The thinner air means less oxygen which means the engine is starved for fuel, well, not starved, but not getting a full portion.

It is also running rich since you cannot lean out the fuel mixture (reduce the gas to match the already reduced O2).

I have a 2200 running an AC that might peak out at 1400, but I have not tried it at 9000 feet yet. Fortunately it is rare that I will need AC at such high elevations. Nothing else I run will require anywhere near the max output of the gen.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I had a 2K Champion for a couple of years and used it in 7,000+ feet elevation several times. It ran fine but it struggled quite a bit running the microwave at that altitude.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
When I turn off the generator, I always turn off my breakers, unplug the cord, turn off the gas and let the generator run the carb dry.

SMART ! Now when storing it drain the tank also.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
They don't have a high alt kit for the newer 2K Champs, and say it is not needed. Happy to hear it worked well at high elv. Mine starts easy, runs great, and is reasonably quiet under heavy load.

Jerry

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the black suitcase model or one of the others? I got the black one on sale at Tractor Supply. So far, I am loving it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem with SMALL carbureted engines at altitude is thin air. You need to adjust the fuel metering jets and you get reduced output.

A 2000 is more than enough to charge batteries even at a fraction of the rated output so it should do well (I did mine with a 1000 watt. A true 1000 watt not a 1000 model number)

But glad it worked

Some engines have enough forgivness to allow so long as you don't go for full load.

Modern automotive engines self-tune as you drive.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Valuable info. Thanks.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Good information, thanks for the report.