Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Landing Gear Failure

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Keystone Hideout 5th wheel

Today I slightly over ran my landing gear and one of the bolts on the square tubular shaft that transfers power to the passenger side (opposite the motor) sheared off. My initial reaction is to just put stronger bolts in and move on but am wondering if the weak bolts are a planned failure point to prevent damage elsewhere? I also had the fuse pop once and thought that would happen before physical damage occurs?
5 REPLIES 5

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
You also might take a look on the top of each jack for grease zerks. I think we have 4 total. When our rig was about 6 months old it started squeaking. Greased it and the motor said Thank You . So much smoother and less load .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YES.......reduction gear box flops back/forth depending on which direction legs are being driven.

Great...... THANKS!!!!! That's a huge relief. I'll get some new bolts and put it back together tomorrow.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES.......reduction gear box flops back/forth depending on which direction legs are being driven.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Stop overdriving legs. Make a red paint mark 1' prior to reaching FULL extension on driven leg. When you see RED/STOP

Thanks.... yeah, I know - I have my legs marked at the top but was at the bottom - not that it's really any different. I just looked away today for a split second. My RV pad slopes down sharply at the back so when I unhook I have to drop the nose all the way down. I use ALL of the range of motion of the jacks to get it level when parked. It also drops the cap down behind my gate to keep the HOA police off my rear end ๐Ÿ™‚

One thing that has me a bit confused is the gear box is somewhat loose. I was thinking something didn't get tightened at the factory (like everything else in this thing :)) but took it apart and can see the braces off the back that prevent it from rotating. Can anyone confirm that the gear box is a bit loose when properly attached?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bolts ARE shear points so more costly damage isn't done to reduction gear, drive gears or screw shaft

1/4 x 20 grade 5 bolt/nut work as replacements

Stop overdriving legs. Make a red paint mark 1' prior to reaching FULL extension on driven leg. When you see RED/STOP
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31