cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7 pin cable

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Due to a bit of age/corrosion, I have decided to replace the 7 pin plug/cable on the trailer.

As I usually do when I am about to tackle something I haven't previously dealt with, I searched the net and YouTube for tutorials/instructions just to make sure I don't miss anything.

The funny thing was, out of all the vids/articles I reviewed, only one could be found that touched on replacing the entire cable (ie wiring directly into the junction box).

Every other one described how to either replace the plug (by cutting the old plug off) or cutting/splicing the cable farther up. In fact, in one video, the fellow showed the old cable, and existing junction box, then proceeded to cut the old cable halfway, and splice in a few feet of the new cable and plug using another junction box to connect the new and old cables, then fastening the new junction box right next to the existing junction box (with the old cable running from one box to the other).

To me it seems simpler to remove the entire old cable, get a new cable and run it right to the existing junction box. Or am I missing something??

Marv
16 REPLIES 16

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I managed to pinch my cord between the hitch and king pin. Bought a new one at a local trailer shop and installed it myself. They had different lengths available. Really pretty simple. Open the junction box and look closely at the existing wires. Maybe even tag and/ or take a picture of them to make sure you get them back correctly as you may have some where two or three wires connect together to the new cord. That way there will be no second guessing about what goes where. But again, nothing to really worry about.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the new cable was too short for his application. More contacts and breaks, more corrosion possibilities and breakdowns. I would go with one junction box.