cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C Cover

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm never been a fan of A/C covers RV or B&M... Than is until driving through heavy rain and even sitting in the campground during the rain storm, and water started coming in.

Can one drive down the road with an AC cover installed.?
16 REPLIES 16

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
took the shroud off today... other than finding two stripped out bolt, yay, spring project, didn't find anything obvious.

Ran out of time, as I needed to get it winterized before temps dropped and take it back to storage facility. This really was a driving rain.

I'll get out there this winter and look for the big bolts to tighten down.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Itsy that is what I thought.

To the O/P they will not fix your problem for that's not where the leak is. If it's leaking it's under the A/C the gasket between A/C and roof. and as others have said. remove the LOWER cover (inside the RV) and check the gasket and the 4 big bolts. Odds are a turn or two all the way around will fix you up. IF NOT then you may be in for some serious work on the roof. This requires REMOVING those same four bolts. then removing the A/C and replacing part or all of the roof.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The OP is talking about aftermarket vinyl AC covers
2. Others are talking about the AC SHROUD
3. The Aftermarket is designed for storage and to keep critters/insects out of the AC system. It is not designed to be ON when traveling. There is no reason to have it on when traveling.
4. The AC Shroud MUST be installed to keep the system water tight. There are small gaps thruout the AC that if unrestricted, water is allowed to get to those areas you could have a rain leak. On some AC units the shroud MUST be installed to route the air thru the Condensor. If not installed the Compressor will overheat. Doug

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Have you retorqued the A/C hold bolts recently? They can work loose a bit over time, letting condensate or rain leak in past the seal.

Odds are that this is your problem.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
What is an A/C cover?

The top (above the roof) part of the A/C is water tight even with the shroud removed it should not leak inside. There are both the outer Shroud and the inner covers (2 of those) one over the condenser fan area and one over the evaporator and blower area.. IF you take the outer shroud off and run through a car wash with water cascading down on top of it you should NOT get any water inside for that part is "Sealed" between the inside and outside except on some very old units with "Air intake" controls and even then if the intake door is closed.

There is a gasket UNDER the A/C. the mounting bolts need occasional re-torquing (3 long bolts inside the RV.. Usually...) and there are a few ways it can APPEAR to leak even though it's not leaking.
OK but mine had a small rain leak w/o the cover from the blower and not the roof gasket. Somewhere between ideal and practical there are areas that may leak so it's likely best to have the plastic cover instaled.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
What is an A/C cover?

They are similar to the flexible wheel covers but fit over the ac shroud. Some have elastic bands, others string pulls. They are not designed to be used while traveling.

here's an example
AC Cover
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had an A/C cover once for use when unit was in storage. After one of our frequent wind storms it was gone, never to be seen again! That was the first and last cover.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is an A/C cover?

The top (above the roof) part of the A/C is water tight even with the shroud removed it should not leak inside. There are both the outer Shroud and the inner covers (2 of those) one over the condenser fan area and one over the evaporator and blower area.. IF you take the outer shroud off and run through a car wash with water cascading down on top of it you should NOT get any water inside for that part is "Sealed" between the inside and outside except on some very old units with "Air intake" controls and even then if the intake door is closed.

There is a gasket UNDER the A/C. the mounting bolts need occasional re-torquing (3 long bolts inside the RV.. Usually...) and there are a few ways it can APPEAR to leak even though it's not leaking.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you go on the roof, the bolts to tighten the A/C unit are inside the coach and these should be checked first.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the bolts bring loose. We had a new AC put on the front of our 5er and only leaked for me and not dealer. Finally, realized it was loose and shifted slightly in travel which allowed it to leak only sometimes.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
AC was not running, and hadn't been for awhile. Water was dripping out of the center vent. Guess I get to climb up on the roof after I finish winterizing it again tomorrow. It was a pretty serious driving rain, which wasn't a lot of fun to set up in either, especially considering the site was way out of level making my fun even better!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 35 years I've never had a A/C leak.

Well OK recently very strong winds ripped off the A/C plastic cover and then it rained. Guess what then leaked? Then it was wrapped with plastic and taped and it has rained since with no leaks including driving.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
An AC cover for leaks wonโ€™t fix the problem.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
AC is not supposed to leak.

Also imagine the hassle having to bring a ladder to remove and put it back in summer when you use it?