cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner causing Hot Skin

rocavana
Explorer
Explorer

Our camper was getting hot skin where the exterior aluminum skin was charged whenver the air conditioner unit was wired into the fusebox. We have a '73 Holiday Rambler, the air conditioner is a Coleman Mach III. I used a noncontact voltage detector to make sure there's no charge on the exterior if the air conditioner isn't wired into the fusebox and the outlets all read correct with a 3-wire receptacle tester, but when the air conditioner is wired into the fusebox the skin is charged and the receptacle tester reads Hot/Neutral Reverse on all the outlets except the one in the living room, which still reads correct. I've left the wire for the air conditioner detached for now since I don't want to accidentally get fried, but it's the middle of summer and it's pretty hot, so I'd like to get this fixed asap. From my research into hot skin I'm thinking there's probably a break somewhere in the wire between the air conditioner and the fusebox that's making contact with the struts or skin, and I need to rewire it. I'm going to try this out, but if anyone else has any information to clarify the problem I'd appreciate it.

3 REPLIES 3

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

If the RV exterior is "hot", you do not have a good ground connection to the RV's electrical system.  There may or may not be other problems but you need to fix the ground first.  The receptacle tester needs to have a good ground connection to give correct readings.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

time2rollagain
Explorer II
Explorer II

I would start with the electric supply you are plugged into and check for reverse polarity there.

Then check the main cord has correct polarity into the main panel.

I doubt it is the air conditioner itself or the power feeding to it is causing the issue.

We're hooked up to shore power on our property, we had an electrician install a temporary metered power outlet box since we're planning on building as well in the future. Hopefully they didn't reverse anything, but I guess it's possible. I'll take a closer look at our main cord and see if I can identify any issue there, idk why it would be charging the camper exterior when just the air conditioner cord is wired in and not the other circuits though.