cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anode Rod

onemilmhz
Explorer
Explorer
All the water heater talk had me out inspecting mine today. I've never changed out an anode before. Is this typical of a worn rod? A good deal of white sediment came shooting out when I drained it. Also, how can I determine what type it is, magnesium or aluminum?

TV - 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4
TT - 1979 Holiday Vacationer (Hunting Lodge!)
Tent - Coleman Adler Creek
27 REPLIES 27

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
Oh, and BTW..........guess what those aluminum boat owners use to prevent their expensive boats from corroding? Magnesium anodes!

Hahaha.. Where do they put the anode? dangling in the water? ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes. Screwed to the hull below the waterline.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Oh, and BTW..........guess what those aluminum boat owners use to prevent their expensive boats from corroding? Magnesium anodes!

Hahaha.. Where do they put the anode? dangling in the water? ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
"Atwood uses an aluminum tank. Aluminum doesn't corrode, so in theory there's no reason to use an anode. But they use a steel threaded insert for the drain, which is in turn welded to the aluminum tank. Guess where my last two elderly (>10 years old) Atwood heaters developed a leak? I don't know if an anode would have protected the weld or not."

Well, this is another case of "I read it on the internet so it must be true" myths.

Aluminum most certainly does corrode, just ask any aluminum boat owner. And, the threaded insert for the drain is not steel. I just tried to stick a magnet to the drain on mine, and it doesn't stick.

The reason Atwood says you don't need an anode on their tanks is because the aluminum TANK ITSELF IS THE ANODE. They even say this in their water heater literature, and warn that the tank MAY develop pin holes over time, depending on the type of water you have.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atwood water heaters tanks are made of aluminum alloy........no steel parts/components. Drain hole is aluminum that is why the nylon drain plug is used (so threads are not damaged/galled up)

No anode cause of the use of aluminum alloy tank...........although given enough time the tank can develop pin holes due to water chemistry/electrolysis.
Just like using an aluminum anode rod.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wishbone51 wrote:
.. Atwood.. "No anode required" .. what they do different to not require an anode? Maybe a better coating?

From rvforum.net:

Suburban uses glass enamel over a steel tank. If the enamel was applied perfectly and stays in perfect condition, water never contacts the steel and all is good. But any pinhole exposes the steel to water, so the anode is needed for protection.

Atwood uses an aluminum tank. Aluminum doesn't corrode, so in theory there's no reason to use an anode. But they use a steel threaded insert for the drain, which is in turn welded to the aluminum tank. Guess where my last two elderly (>10 years old) Atwood heaters developed a leak? I don't know if an anode would have protected the weld or not.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an Atwood at an RV store today, and there was a sign on the box that said "No anode required" .. Do you know what they do different to not require an anode? Maybe a better coating?
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ernie1 wrote:
Old Biscuit: Do your residential water heaters only last 6 or 7 years? Man! My water heaters always last 15-20 years. Hmmmm, must be the water.

No the cheaper ones that have those 3-6 yr warranties

Mine last about 10 yrs even with good anode rod and bottom flushing. Hard water.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit: Do your residential water heaters only last 6 or 7 years? Man! My water heaters always last 15-20 years. Hmmmm, must be the water.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The idea is for the rod to be 'sacrificial' vs the steel tank of water heater.

Sacrificial yes, but the anode rod is not protecting the steel tank per se as that tank is lined with porcelain ... rather, in Suburban's words the purpose of using an anode rod in one of their water heater tanks is because "Heated water attacks all metals, but not porcelain. That's why Suburban uses a porcelain-lined, steel water heater tank with an anode rod to "absorb" the electrolytical action".

And w/o that sacrificial anode rod those Suburban porcelain-line STEEL tanks with rust/deteriorate/leak rather quickly.
If the porcelain lining didn't have hairline cracks, weak spots, incomplete coverage if would fully protect the STEEL tank......but it doesn't hence the need for the sacrificial anode rod. Simple chemistry at work.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The idea is for the rod to be 'sacrificial' vs the steel tank of water heater.

Sacrificial yes, but the anode rod is not protecting the steel tank per se as that tank is lined with porcelain ... rather, in Suburban's words the purpose of using an anode rod in one of their water heater tanks is because "Heated water attacks all metals, but not porcelain. That's why Suburban uses a porcelain-lined, steel water heater tank with an anode rod to "absorb" the electrolytical action".
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typically the anode rod will last about 6-7 yrs. in a residential WH.

Most WH's will need replaced by then anyway :B

I find them at Home Depot/Lowes.
Small market cause many folks don't know about them or forget about them. So store space goes to other items.
If not in store...easy to shop on-line and have 'shipped to store' for free.

Heck Sears even sells anode plates etc. for boat rudders and prop shafts

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to say that changing the anode is very easy. They unscrew from the top of the water heater. The anodes are not always easy to find for residential water heaters. I wonder why?

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I try to change the anode in my home water heater as often as necessary. The last one I changed cost me $50 (got ripped off) and then the water heater sprang a leak 6 months later. Oh well.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
hawkeye-08 wrote:
Wonder how many of you check and change the anode rod in your home water heater?

Not a simple task -- depending on the location of the water heater.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos