cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Apollo by Toastmaster Microwave oven appears dead

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Toastmaster by Apollo Microwave oven (Over the Range style) and was using it without an issue when suddenly while opening the door, the light goes out, panel goes dark and microwave breaker tripped. Reset the breaker and the outlet comes back on, but the microwave is completely dead. no lights, no fan, no nothing.
Problem is this is an odd size microwave in a cabinet (22") and I'm not sure if it can be replaced very easily.
Are these units generally repairable? I realize it is cheaper to replace than repair but if you can't find a replacement due to the size, I am wondering if they can be repaired. Maybe just a fuse? but something caused it to trip the breaker, so I'm assuming it needs to be repaired.
17 REPLIES 17

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's great news, especially the part of not having to pull it out of the cabinet.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE ON DEAD APPOLLO MICROWAVE:
This microwave has been able to be repaired. Called an appliance repair company in Flagstaff Arizona, a technician came out and quickly repaired the microwave without even having to remove it from the cabinet. He changed several microswitches and a fuse and all is working fine. Apollo did send me some spare parts and I will hold on to them for the future. All is well for now.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
Apollo is sending me a new fuse, monitor switch, and door switches. Apollo rep is thinking this will fix the microwave. I'm getting an appliance repairman that is used to working on microwave ovens to attempt to repair it using the parts sent by Apollo. will update....

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have repaired two microwaves over the years by replacing the fusible link inside the cabinet. They look like a standard fuse but instead of glass looked like a grey ceramic material. They were a cheap fix.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
These are 24". Might still be too big.

Thanks for finding these. Sadly they are all too wide and too high requiring major cabinet modifications.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
These are 24". Might still be too big.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
Is "Over The Range" perhaps just a marketing gimmick used on one company? I'm not familiar with that term. Are they several manufacturers offering that feature or just one?

Over the range microwaves have a built in vent fan (for the cooktop/range below) and light in the base of the unit.
Many manufactuers offer counter top, in counter, and over the range units, however most are 30" if they are over the range type.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Is "Over The Range" perhaps just a marketing gimmick used on one company? I'm not familiar with that term. Are they several manufacturers offering that feature or just one?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

MrWizard
OOPS.. answering the wrong question

deleting
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT try to repair the microwave yourself. Inside there are items that can deliver a lethal jolt of electricity even if not plugged in.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
These are built-in compatible.

These would work except none of them appear to be Over the Range style. The hole is over the range and I am not sure if a non-OTR style can work there. Doesn't the range need a vent and heat protection? :h

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Micro's are cheap, buy a new one and if it don't fit, buy some trim and make it fit.

Not sure if I can do that because this is an "over the range" microwave. No room to go wider and can't find a 22" OTR Microwave anywhere. I can find 22" non-over the range, but I am not sure if I can put a non-otr unit over the cooktop. I would think the cooktop would need a vent,etc. :h

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
These are built-in compatible.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Micro's are cheap, buy a new one and if it don't fit, buy some trim and make it fit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB