cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appollo microwave metal tray missing

marcarolle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, our new to us 2008 Gulf Breeze has an Appollo Half-time/convection/microwave. The manual says that we MUST use the metal tray provided when using convection or half-time oven.

We don't have that métal tray. By reading reviews from the past, I understand that these were not the best appliances. But I have to do with that and it is working fine.

Before I contact Appollo and order that part, are there any Appollo owners who could provide advice ?

- Where to find a replacement metal tray (I'm in Canada)
- is there anything else, cheaper, that works just as well?

I did not find much on the web.

Thanks for your advice

Marc
Me
DW

Gouda - 11 months Golden Retriever
Eva Golden Retriever (we miss you!)

2019 F150 2.7l V6 Ecoboost
2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS

2004 Antigua 215SS Hybrid - gone
2002 Jayco Eagle 12SD pop up - gone
1996 10 ft Clipper pop up - gone
1977 10 ft Lionel pop up - gone
18 REPLIES 18

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
But the Apollo (which the thread is about) specifically says NOT to remove the glass platform. It says to put the metal tray ON the glass platform. We really need to start a separate thread about GE Advantium units.

No we don't. I was politely replying to the post preceding mine.

PS I'm the one that first provided a link to the Apollo site with contact info so really don't need snark about trying to help.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an Apollo and I have an Advantium. It's quite possible that the difference in how the glass tray is used has nothing whatsoever to do with the glass or the temperatures. Both ovens rotate the food using a center spindle on the bottom of the oven. The difference is that the Apollo glass tray sits on top of the spindle, mating directly with it as with most microwaves, while the Advantium has an adapter that mates with the spindle in the center, and with the trays near their outer edges. The glass and metal trays are both designed to sit on the adapter. I don't know the real reason for the difference, but one possibility is that the Apollo system has a lower manufacturing cost but causes a loss of 1" to 2" of oven height when the metal tray is used. The Advantium system does not cause any oven height loss.

FYI for lurkers, the Advantium is a combination microwave, convection, and infrared light device. I absolutely "love" it and wish there was one in the RV instead of the Apollo. It's not that I hate the Apollo, it's that the Advantium is super-duper nice.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
But the Apollo (which the thread is about) specifically says NOT to remove the glass platform. It says to put the metal tray ON the glass platform. We really need to start a separate thread about GE Advantium units.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
I presume any convection oven that has a glass tray is Pyrex or similar. In my residential GE Advantium microwave/convection oven the instructions still call for removing the Pyex tray when convection oven is used.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I use Pyrex when I can find the right size. It is heat proof and is tougher than regular glass.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
If you still have the wire rack you can buy a 13" pizza tray to place on it. If you don't have the wire rack it shouldn't be too difficult to buy one as a replacement for any convection/microwave. Walmart sold their Half Time ovens for a while. I bought one for home use about 4 years ago, but I don't think they're still available.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SaltiDawg wrote:
I think there may possibly be some confusion for the rack for the OP Oven.

It comes with:
"Cooking Trays Included:
Glass Tray, Metal tray, Oven Rack"

The Metal Tray is not the same as the Wire Rack.

In my home GE Microwave/Convection Oven one uses either the Glass try or the metal tray. Glass when microwaving, metal when convection oven.

The Glass tray would be at risk of breaking at higher convection oven temps.

Again, I have no RV experience.

YMMV

I just talked to the expert, DW. She confirms that our Apollo Halftime Oven did not come with 3 trays, only 2. The obligatory glass tray. The other one, I described wrong in my previous post. I had said it was a wire rack on legs, but she reminded me, and I can now see it in my mind, it was a teflon coated shallow pan on about 1" legs. The metal tray was to be set on top of the glass tray, not instead of it.

Here is the online manual: https://www.rexandsonsrvs.com/manuals/Apollo_Microwave_Model.pdf
Bobbo and Lin

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

In my home GE Microwave/Convection Oven one uses either the Glass try or the metal tray. Glass when microwaving, metal when convection oven.

The Apollo is different (at least MY Apollo is different). The metal tray is placed on top of the glass tray for convection cooking. That's what causes it to rotate.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

marcarolle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks SaltiDawg. The manual for my microwave doesn't mention a wire rack; only the metal tray. Also, the manual says to put the metal tray over the glass tray, for half-time and convection.

That being said, I bought a metal wire rack at the Dollar Store for now. I will check with appliance repair shops to see if they have any spare/used metal trays. Apparently, they are all the same, regardless if it's for an RV of for home.

Thanks all!
Me
DW

2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
I think there may possibly be some confusion for the rack for the OP Oven.

It comes with:
"Cooking Trays Included:
Glass Tray, Metal tray, Oven Rack"

The Metal Tray is not the same as the Wire Rack.

Again, I have no RV experience.

YMMV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rack is just a circular wire rack on legs that are about an inch tall. Our Winnebago had an Apollo Half Time Microwave. We used it for 10 years, and it was still going strong when we sold it.

On edit:

Scratch that description. DW has reminded me that it was a teflon coated shallow pan on legs.
Bobbo and Lin

marcarolle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your informative replies. Since we're on the road for another 11 days, maybe I will try a combo "metal wire Baking rack/disposable foil pan" and prepare a complète meal.
Me
DW

2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a different make/model, but, mine is more like a wire rack that stands and would eleveate the dish off the glass tray. The idea is that hot air can then circulate above and below the dish you are cooking. Try searching for a convection wire rack.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Is Your Oven One of These?

Contact info at that location.

"If you need any information or if your Apollo oven needs service or replacement parts, either in warranty or out of warranty please call us at 800-330-9707. You can also email us: sales@apolloworldwide.info and we will provide whatever you might need."