cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Asking for help.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
I will say this again. When asking for help. Give the full model and serial number. Without that information. Not much anyone can do. Is it a 1930 model or a 2019 model. You wouldn't go to a doctor and say I hurt. Not much he can do for you.Full information helps.
16 REPLIES 16

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Just answer the question best you can w/ the info at hand, and quiturbitchin

That is EXACTLY my policy. No or insufficient background information, . . . . . . . NEXT!

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Just answer the question best you can w/ the info at hand, and quiturbitchin
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
ALL Motorhomes and RV's are IDENTICAL. There are no variations. So, when a furnace does not work, it can only be one model and problem. They are all the same. Doug
Excellent satire!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
I've said it 1,000 times:

When asking for technical help, the more accurate information you provide, the better chances you have of getting meaningful help. Remember, no one can see your vehicle and no one knows your location. (but you)

Year:
Make:
Model:
Engine:
Transmission:
Current mileage:
Location on the planet:
Recent repair history/accident damage (if applicable):

For motor homes specifically:

Length:
Appliance Type and Model # (serial # if you have it):
Slides?:

If you are too lazy to post even SOME of the information above, well, . . . . . I'm too lazy to respond with guesswork. I don't understand why forum moderators don't make this info required when starting a new thread.

Chum lee

Totally agree. If the question or problem has no meaningful year/chassis/make/model/appliance/device info supplied to formulate a relevant useful comment, or chassis/coach/model/appliance/device specific suggestion, usually equals "delete" and move on for me.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I don't understand what a serial number adds to the conversation.

Generally it matters not but on occasion you will find something like

Widget model WD-123 serial numbers below 20,000 have the following things and 20,000 and above have this other thing

So it makes a difference.

one example is Kwikee Steps. Two different several parts depending on serial number.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You people need to get a life. ALL Motorhomes and RV's are IDENTICAL. There are no variations. So, when a furnace does not work, it can only be one model and problem. They are all the same. Doug

PS, I have excellent beachfront property for sale in Oklahoma. 100 acres at $1000 an acre. First come first sold.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I've said it 1,000 times:

When asking for technical help, the more accurate information you provide, the better chances you have of getting meaningful help. Remember, no one can see your vehicle and no one knows your location. (but you)

Year:
Make:
Model:
Engine:
Transmission:
Current mileage:
Location on the planet:
Recent repair history/accident damage (if applicable):

For motor homes specifically:

Length:
Appliance Type and Model # (serial # if you have it):
Slides?:

If you are too lazy to post even SOME of the information above, well, . . . . . I'm too lazy to respond with guesswork. I don't understand why forum moderators don't make this info required when starting a new thread.

Chum lee

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Or a service writer in a dealership more concerned with impressing the customer than providing a description of symptoms. 99% of the time their written explanation of parts to be replaced was wrong and the Bonehead Service Manager hadn't a clue when I complained about the questions going nuts and asking why the service writers "analysis" differed from the actual repair. Boy, that nuthouse did not last long.

Like RV customers who drove in telling me how to fix their rig. If I informed them that diagnostics come first and they continued to argue it resulted in a .....

"Hit the road, toad"

Because people like that turned out to be the first ones to telephone the Department of Consumer Affairs.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
I will explain it this way. Your Onan has a model and serial number of 6.5 NH B85123456-H. Factory reports problems with carb factory change.
So with 6.5 NH B85112333-I the new carb is added to the line.
So you request help and I have no idea which unit you have. How can anyone help you.

Would you go to a doctor for knee surgery and tell him. Just pick a leg. Correct information is needed if you want good results.

Or I can say it this way. I have a truck. What is wrong with it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's also considered polite to return to a thread after asking for help, and answer the questions you're asked.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
One good thing to do is fill in your public signature! See below.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is a generator tech and is annoyed by people asking questions but not giving specific information about their generator.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I don't understand what a serial number adds to the conversation.
I think this is especially important with an Onan generator. Design changes are documented by serial number not model number and year built.

The idea is the technician can give an actual answer instead of writing a book on the 100+ possibilities.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
TEXAS wrote:
I will say this again

Or else hes leaving folks!!
Internet forums are notorious for people asking questions with zero research or effort to list model numbers.

Some people get bothered by it. Others accept reality and help with the info available.