cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attwod water heater issue

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
So my water heater is not working right... Basically it's starting alright (DSI), but with a huge yellow flame at the end of the burner tube instead of a nice blue one. It keeps trying to re-light even when running, as I assume the flame is not hot enough to warm the thermocouple?

Every once in a while it will also flare out of the venturi portion of the burner tube too, big old yellow flame that I can blow out easily. It seems to me that it's not getting enough gas flow.

Stove works fine, and the water heater is mounted in the cabinet right behind the stove so I'm pretty confident I'm getting gas to the water heater.

I removed the end of the burner assy from the valve, and unscrewed the jet. It looked good, I ran some carb cleaner through it, but no change. The tube looked good too, no blockages (at least from the jet on out).

What next? ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
22 REPLIES 22

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
katysdad wrote:
spiderweb in the burner tube can cause this also

X2
Or some other critter in the tube.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update! Hope it fixes the issue permanently!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
OP here following up.

Blowing out the line and filling the tank with propane did nothing, but a new main regulator fixed it. Stove and refer were still working fine, just not enough volume for the water heater. Problem solved for now!
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would start with the simple stuff first, remove the gas valve orifice and clean with alcohol. That hole is only about .020 in dia and can get clogged. Remove and clean burner tube check that flame spreader has not rusted off and is 90 degrees to tube. Does your refer run on propane? is the flame blue and steady or is it yellow and flicker? That will give you a good idea if you have a gas flow problem from the main tank through the regulator. If the slots in the burner tube are badly rusted that can allow too much air into the mix.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Regulator should be preset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Will you adjust the pressure on the new regulator?
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Closed today. As they should be of course! I'm shipping to an Amazon locker near our Monday destination, it will give me something to do while quarincamping.

I'm sure I'll be able to grab propane on the road tomorrow too.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ace hardware should have regulator and many have propane

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Blowing out the line didn't help, and I was unable to get propane on July 4th, go figure lol.

As I'm up against it with a trip so I'm going to order both a new regulator and water heater gas valve to cover my bases. Will follow up in a week or so after our trip, hope I get to take warm showers!! :E
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
A manometer is a handy tool to own. I have a feeling many builders just put the plumbing together and never bother adjusting the regulator.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is how I bench-tested mine.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30086924/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm

On page 1 of that is a photo where it shows my clamp to cover more of the air holes where the slider did not move far enough because of its screw holder.

I was getting too much air. If you get it just right the flame looks better and it sounds better--not so noisy.

In a previous episode, the whole burner was rusty and the little flame spreader cap broke off, which made the flame look bad. I got a new burner as seen in that photo. (amazon has them) The OP here says his burner is ok though.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Even though other appliances work, I would look into a new regulator. Make sure you get a horizontal one. That means the vent faces down!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
moving the slider has no effect. It's a super yellow flame, and sometimes flares when lighting like it's pooling up instead of flowing if you know what I mean. there is plenty of airflow available, so I'm thinking gas flow is the issue. I'm about to go out and disconnect the gas line at the tank, and at the water heater, and blow air though it to see if it's somehow plugged up. I might go fill the tank up today to make sure it's not just low, even though the gauge shows 1/2 tank (and I have gas at other appliances). Local shop I usually fill at is closed today, but there's a gas station nearby with a tank that opens at 2p. We'll see if I resolve it before that lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yellow flame indicatetes one of two conditions. One is extremely rare (Sodium in burner area) the other is a bad air/fuel ratio.. This si adjustable but it's been a long time since I did that adjustment. And I do not feel like goign out to look at it.

Typically there are one of 3 adjustement
I think on the water heater.. If you look at the burner. just past the orifice are some windows cut in to the burner tube. There is a slider that "opens" or "Closes" the windows. it may (or not) be locked in place by a screw (or just friction) this is the adjustment. Slide it to .. I think Close the windows a bit (Do this whith burner lit) and you should see the flame blue up.

If you are not comfortable doing this.. Get professional help.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times