cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood EXT water heater LOCKOUT light

Larry202br
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having some issues with my Atwood GE16EXT. The LOckout light illuminates from time to time when I'm running on electric.

Atwood sez: The lockout light may illuminate if the water gets too hot, or if there is a thermostat failure. this is controlled by what they call the ECO.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, what what the fix?

Atwood Fault light

Thanks,
Larry
2006 Open Road 316 RLDS-5
2004 F-250 Diesel, short bed, SRW, Crew cab, 3.73 auto.
3 REPLIES 3

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atwood uses same set of t-stats for electric and gas operation since 2004 model year.

The XT uses 'higher factor preset' normal t-stat than the other models.
The normal is set to open at 160*F (vs 140*F other models use) and the ECO (Energy Cut Off/High t-stat) is set for 180*F (which is same as other models).

The higher heating temp is 'mixed' with cold water for a finally output temp of 130*F.....gives the equivalent of 16 gallons from a 10 gallon tank.

IF normal fails to OPEN and ECO OPENS it triggers 'Fault Light' (which also locks out operation). T-stats will reset (Close) when temps drop to 110*F but until fault light is reset no reheating will occur. To reset 'Fault Light' you turn On/Off Switch OFF then back ON.

With ECO operating......normal t-stat has failed OR is not tight against tank wall'

Inexpensive to replace....come as a set.

Atwood part number #91547 for XT Models LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seems a pretty logical approach would be, if the water is not getting too hot, then replace the thermostat.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You replace the tstat. IF the tstat fails to open when temp is met, the temp rises until the ECO trips. At that point your inside light comes on. Doug