cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ATWOOD Water heater

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Water heater spillage from pressure relief valve, emptied water tank. Is the pressure relief valve bad?:h
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello
13 REPLIES 13

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will replace the relief valve and see if that solves the problem.
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

jwchenault
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose if the pump doesn't shut off at the proper pressure it could build up enough pressure to relieve out the t&p valve until the tank is empty! However IMHO the more likely possibility is that the t&p valve is bad. and its a quick and easy replacement. If the pressure switch is at fault it is a bit more involved unless you just replace the whole pump.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I only run the pump when I need water, when you're boondocking full time, you don't want to run out of water.

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
yes, when the switch goes bad, the pump will build pressure in the lines, most of us just turn the pump switch on in the galley and leave it on, till we break camp,this way the MICRO SWITCH shuts down the pump every time the tap is closed and activates it when you turn on the tap

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
A1B00902 wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
A1B00902 wrote:
Sound like the micro switch on your water pump has stuck

No, it doesn't. Why would you say that? Don't make something so simple complicated and confusing.

Bruce

I said that because IT HAPPENED TO ME last year

So, you're saying your micro switch on your water pump stuck and it blew all of the water in your fresh water tank out through the T&P valve at the water heater?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the pressure relief valve on my 1 1/2 year old TT. Water was pouring out of the valve while we were out camping, worked fine sitting in storage turned off. ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyway the water heater worked fine for the of the trip a total of nine days.

Did fine lots of others suggestions on this forum that could have cause the same problem and safety tips too.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
A1B00902 wrote:

No, it doesn't. Why would you say that? Don't make something so simple complicated and confusing.

Bruce

I said that because IT HAPPENED TO ME last year

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
A1B00902 wrote:

Bruce

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like the micro switch on your water pump has stuck,you can replace it,if you could find one, try a Google search, MICRO SWITCH,

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
It EMPTIED the tank..not possible.

But if the thing does not hold pressure, (Water hater off but water lines Charged with 45-50 PSI) if it holds with the heater off you have a different problem

But that TPR valve (Temp Pressure Relief) is at the top of the tank it is not possible to empty the tank from that port.

He may mean that it emptied his fresh tank. If left on and he didn't notice the pump running I guess it would empty the fresh tank

That's exactly what he said.

Bruce

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

But if the thing does not hold pressure, (Water hater off but water lines Charged with 45-50 PSI) if it holds with the heater off you have a different problem

But that TPR valve (Temp Pressure Relief) is at the top of the tank it is not possible to empty the tank from that port.

He may mean that it emptied his fresh tank. If left on and he didn't notice the pump running I guess it would empty the fresh tank

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Shepherd wrote:
Water heater spillage from pressure relief valve, emptied water tank. Is the pressure relief valve bad?:h

Probably, but once you change it, check your water pressure and hot water temperature to make sure they don't exceed the limits of your new valve.

Bruce