cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

awning protective tape

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Many retailers are selling a 8 inch wide vinyl tape that sticks to the awning to protect it, including Camping World, Walmart, etc. (see links below). I can't find any reviews on this stuff, though it -seems- like a good idea. Has anyone used it? Does it work? Seems easy enough to do.....

https://www.campingworld.com/awning-guard-protect-your-rv-awning-from-the-sun-and-weather-black

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/StickNBond-Awning-Guard-p/01-0004.htm
29 REPLIES 29

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Other than a few of you guys who have used eternabond, I guess nobody has tried this 8" protective tape. ??? For those of you that did use eternabond (I've got a roll of black), did it look like ****? Or it looked fine?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oasisbob wrote:
My OEM awning skin, 17 years old, is gettin brittle. I am buying time with gorilla tape and silicone. New skin in a few years
I did the same thing over the years. Gorilla tape and Trex tape are very strong and better that awning tape. I tried a latex spray to cover pin hole leaks when the PO scraped the awning on a tree branch. Eventually the threads give way and at 22 years old the basic awning still looked good except for the top 12 ins that were exposed to the sun and I lost it an a 40 mph cross wind in Wyoming last summer. Had an awning lock on the rear but wind tore it right at the front seam.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This tape sounds like a good idea. I use a plastic rain gutter -- it fits on over the awning when the trailer is in the driveway.

Note to self -- next time be sure to remove the gutter before pulling out of the driveway.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
I used Eternabond, works well.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Juzaxadar wrote:
Seems very expensive, even more than eternabond. Would eternabond achieve the same result?
I put two rows of Eternabond tape on mine 5 or so years ago. It's worked great.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
My OEM awning skin, 17 years old, is gettin brittle. I am buying time with gorilla tape and silicone. New skin in a few years
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
Seems very expensive, even more than eternabond. Would eternabond achieve the same result?
2000 Minnie 31C V10

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like the 8" tape might be a problem to handle, but we use a lot of awning tape to patch our slide toppers before getting them replaced. Worked good for us.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to edit myself. Looks like i was saying "there might be" blah blah.

Not sure what i was gonna say with that.

I will say if you lookup Hydrosilex and F11topcoat its a pretty good battle between spray on coatings. Both have really good reviews.

If you have a pressure washer you can shoot the Hydrosilex right onto your RV. You wax the RV with a pressure washer. Of course its not as good, but its quick. If youre a DIY type of person on a budget.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Not the worse idea. Cover the exposed area of the awning with a protective tape.

I coat my exposed awning area with spray on UV protectors. First did ProtectAll which is good stuff but carnuba based and doesnt last long in heat. Lately trying HydroSilex that is the fancy new claimed to be simple ceramic coating. Not a real ceramic coating. But a spray on-wipe off ceramic coating. F11 topcoat is a similar product.

There migh

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
disclaimer: I have no experience with awning tape....so I guess I don't really know that I am talking about...but...

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to handle and smoothly apply any tape that is 8 inches wide. Heck, I have trouble, at times, using standard packing tape to seal a cardboard box.

I can see myself up on a ladder with a handful of 8 inch wide tape stuck to itself, to me and to everything except the awning.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
too expensive. $75-100? you can get whole new awning fabric for an 18 foot awning for 140 on ebay. Plus at only 21 ft, that's a ripoff. You can get 3m vinyl tape on ebay in various widths in a 36 YARD roll for less, which is well over 100 feet.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I was helping a disabled vet who lives in his ancient Class A do some repairs on his RV. We found that the awning tape was great for covering the cracks in his fiberglass siding (corners of door openings had cracks jutting out from them). When you get all the bubbles out it just about disappears and it stick great as well.
I would think that if you could press on it hard enough, it would do a good job at repairing awnings.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
As protection from tears or as a repair for tears?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad