Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

axle upgrade

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Looking to source parts for an axle upgrade. I have a bent axle so I want to replace it and do an upgrade with mor ryde parts. The Mor Ryde CRE 3000 lists 33 and 35 inch wheelbase. I'm measuring mine at 36 inches. Wonder if I'm doing it wrong. I'm measuring for center hub to center hub. Is that right?
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
5 REPLIES 5

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ajriding wrote:
best measurement is hubface to hubface, the part that the wheel is bolted flat to, usually the brake drum with the studs poking out.

That is also commonly referred to as WMS, aka "wheel Mounting Surface"
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
best measurement is hubface to hubface, the part that the wheel is bolted flat to, usually the brake drum with the studs poking out. Center-to-center will bring in variables like wheel/tire width that is not unique to the axle.
Easy to just call them after you take many measurements including the leaf spring perch, which you can do center to center.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Center to Center spring perch is the critical dimension.Face to face of hubs also critical depending on wheel offset, if any.
We replaced our 7k 12" x 2" brakes Dexter axles with 8k. forward self adjusting 12 1/4" x 3 3/8 shoes ordered from Redneck Traler supplies with perches loose, welded them on myself with pre and post heat to minimize HAZ ( heat affected zone ) so I could vefify alignment with lasers. Tire wear and braking much improved,. 40 k mi., no issues.
If you do mot have the ability to do it yourself, consider ordering the axles with loose perches, then have a local shop weld them on. Welding procedure to minimize stress, warpage will be superior to the factory.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I'll upgrade the tires but for my research i need to make sure I have the correct wheelbase dimension.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not contact Morryde to make sure you get the correct part?

I see you have a 2018 RV. Was the axle replacement covered by the warranty? What a shame that you have to do a modification because the RV had an insufficient suspension to begin with. It seems criminal that Grand Design would build an RV with a GVWR of 7500# and a dry weight of 5860#. By the time you add water, propane, and any accessories not included in the specs, you are down to a cargo capacity of just a few hundred pounds. I would also worry about upgrading the tires!