cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&D - Vector Battery Charger False F03 error codes.

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned three Vector 1097A chargers over the last eight years and they have all developed the same.... failure? Trait? They give false F03 errors. One I returned under warranty, one I threw away and the last one I still have.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong (abusing or misusing) with these chargers. Is it coincidence, just bad luck or what?

I can charge my riding mower battery with my old HF 10amp charger and it will charge okay, but if I then attach the 1097A it will read the battery voltage okay, and I can initiate a charge cycle, but it will run for a couple of seconds, step the charge rate down to zero and display the F03. It does this with any battery (in any state of charge) that I try.

Can these beasts be repaired, or do I just throw it away?
17 REPLIES 17

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
I get F03 sometimes when the charger thinks the battery is full or even if there is another charger with a higher voltage than the Vector on the battery. In that case, I must start the Vector first and get it running and then start the higher voltage charger.

Try knocking the battery voltage down a bit and then start the charger.

Like I said, I've tried various batteries, at various charge levels, and always get the same thing. I just now hooked it to a battery that reads 12.0vdc, it displayed the F03. It does know when it has been hooked to a battery, because it doesn't display the F02 that it does if started when not hooked to anything.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Please do not toss them in the trash

Yes they can very easily be repaired
Open it up and take a look close look at the large Capacitors
If any signs of anything abnormal replace the part
Parts available at DigiKey and typically less than $5.00

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get F03 sometimes when the charger thinks the battery is full or even if there is another charger with a higher voltage than the Vector on the battery. In that case, I must start the Vector first and get it running and then start the higher voltage charger.

Try knocking the battery voltage down a bit and then start the charger.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.