cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup camera for the trailer

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a cheap backup camera on my 78 terry trailer a while back. I ran the video cable inside the back wall (of the trailer) and along the bottom rails, where it ended as a 4-pin aviation plug. I added an aviation plug to the truck side and ran the wire along the frame rail, through the back floor and out the center console, where I mounted another plug. Then I could plug in the monitor so I could use it from the cab.
My new Rockwood mini lite has a mount for a Furrion wireless in the back, so I'm assuming thats where I'll get 12v from. I cant justify paying that much for a camera, so I'm looking to buy another cheap one. I think I can design and 3dprint a mount that will fit with what they have mounted up there.
I would go with a wired setup again, but I'm not sure how I would run the cable and make it presentable. Drilling holes in the side of the trailer is not an option at this time, so wireless is what I am looking at.
Has anyone tried the Wireless 7" Backup Rear View Camera? It's quite a distance from the cab to the back of the trailer.
Once I get this figured out, I'll pass along the STL file I come up with for 3dprinting a mount.
8 REPLIES 8

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
Update for those who are following: I purchased a setup and posted all the information to a new post here

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
As for backing I use it to see signals from the wife as she is not always in view of my mirrors.

That would be a reason for me not to get one....:p
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I put a off brand, Camecho I think on a previous TT, 28'.

I wired it wireless. Had a great 7 inch screen I liked better than the Furrion we have now. Problem was it would get interference in a lot of traffic and congested area, which is where I needed it. I ended up moving the transmitter to the front of the TT. After that it worked great, didn't have to do anything with the receiver. Truck was a F150.

good luck

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
I watched a video last night and it gave me an idea. Why cant I buy the cheaper camera and rig up an extension antenna like the guy in the video did. I'll have to pick one up from Amazon or Walmart . They all seem to be within the 2.4ghz range.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wired camera on the back of my 5th wheel. Originally purchased it to keep track of a small utility trailer that I tow behind the 5th wheel. Can not see the utility trailer with my mirrors.

I used the center conductor of the 7 way to get video signal from the trailer to the truck.

When not towing the utility trailer works much better than the truck mirrors to keep track of what is behind me and when they decide to pass on two lane roads.

As for backing I use it to see signals from the wife as she is not always in view of my mirrors. If I do not see her I stop until I am sure where she is.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
One word "Amazon", if it dosen't work send it back.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, it doesn't list max transmit range and is "unbranded" so you probably can't look it up.
If it's all you got in the budget then you have to work with what you got. I'd be pretty cautious going with something like that over a brand name from a more reputable seller then ebay. But that's me going on my experience.
Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, but maybe you can run a small extension wire under your camper to get the antenna to the front, cutting down the distance to the one in the truck. Maybe even get line of sight through the truck windows.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I bought something simmiler to that, it fit in the old mount that was on my camper. Just swapped out the camera. Works ok for me. Better to have the screen up high in the tv cab. It freezes sometimes, but not much. I use it more for lane changes and at night, when i need to see behind me. Its not clear at night but i can make out headlights pretty good and thats worth it to me. Never got the hang of how to use it for backing up, witch is why i bought it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.