cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad Fuel Disposal

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
I need to be rid of about 2 gals of 1/2 gas/oil mix and 1/2 water. (Long story) Obviously I don't want to just dump it somewhere. Any thoughts?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
27 REPLIES 27

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Marine chandleries sell absorbent material that absorbs hydrocarbons but not water. Not one molecule of water.

Such a remedy may not be appropriate in this case but it's something to keep in mind.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
darsben wrote:
use it to start a camp fire on the beach
Very bad idea! :S

That's cuz he lost all his marbles on another post.
jwmII

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Been a few years so if it is also a bad thing to do I'll plead stupidity. I had a couple of gallons of bad gas to get rid of so after having it around for awhile I used a heavy open top can that held probably 4 gallons I dumped in about 2 gallons of bad gas and set it out in an open space away from everything and pitched a burning piece of paper in it and let it burn. Burned for a long time and removed all the paint from the can but it got rid of all the gas. In the case of the OP I'm not sure what you do with the water that is left but it may just evaporate.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Visited an AutoZone today. They said that they couldn't take it. Referred me to Waste Management for further advice. I'll try that route.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I hardly find disposing of old fuel a technical issue. Recycle, or dilute and use as fuel in an older carburatored gas car.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Austin, I just take it to the hazardous materials thing, toss it on the cart, and be done with it. It is a thought to toss it in a firepit, then toss a match into that... but gasoline vapors can easily flashover, and spring's fashions are not third degree burns and toasted eyebrows.

If the gas is on the border of going bad (6-12 months), I mix a little bit of it with a full tank of fresh gas, toss some Star-Tron in, then let it burn through my truck. My truck has the old 5.4L engine, and can take marginal fuel without too much issues.

If the gas is obviously sludge or otherwise just unusable, it goes to the hazardous waste facility.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim - Another AZ County Sheriff Story - One of the Techs at the site we was working at just north of Maricopa AZ had a CLass B camper he drove to work everyday and he had pulled up close to the shop and was welding something underneath it. The heat caught things on fire inside the Class B and it got to roaring a really big fire before he even noticed it haha...

He hops into the Class B and drives it out the gate real quick and then got the fire extinguishers out and finally got the fire put out...

He calls the fire dept and of course a County Sheriff comes with the Fire Department... They got everything under control and then the Indian Police shows up and they are all upset about the fire on their land we was leasing from them for our Govt Space Surveillance Station property.

Then the finger pointing started. This was just after the second shift had started and I had already gone home to Tempe. I finally get back to the site... I had to file a report because our Govt site had a fire that resulted in the Fire Dept Coming out. Then the local Sheriff is all over us for starting the fire. Then the Indian Police is wanting to file charges because we burned up a few of his bushes haha... Then of course I had the next problem of what to do with troops for working on their vehicle in our govt shop in the first place haha...

To top all of that off our Station Operation is known as the "Space Fence" and of course we had reported to our Headquarters Command which is here where I live now in Dahlgren VA. The teletype report in so many words said the "FENCE" was on fire meaning the small fire had caught the grass and bushes on fire up against our intrusion fence around the property.

So the Gila River "FENCE" fire report goes all the way to the Colorado Springs Headquarters Space MTN where the Navy gets notified that the "FENCE" is burned out at the Gila River Space Surveillance station meaning to them Operations is down...

Then I start getting calls from Air Force Cols and Navy Captains haha... Then a helo from Luke AFB shows up circling around the property... We made the paper the next day as well...

geesch.... Lots of headaches sometimes being the Station Manager haha...

Finally everybody went home and I just stayed on site until the next shift got there. The Class B was the only way the three shift people could get home in so I had to take everyone home - They all lived in the Phoenix area....

Sure was a fun night... Then running the Maricopa road at midnight I almost run over a herd of wild horses that lives on the Reservation they have there crossing the state road at night...

Them ther AZ County Sheriff guys are really hard nosed folks haha...

We all finally made up since they found the site and it soon became a regular coffee stop at night for Sheriff Patrol guys...

We finally got the Class B camper all fixed up too haha... Took awhile however...

True story and all ended well...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Call the local fire department, they should be able to tell you.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Well, according to some folks on this Forum, it's OK to dump used oil on the ground because that's where it came from. I kid you not, there was a guy here that had all kinds of reasons why it was OK.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
TucsonJim - Just read that on google search "Never attempt to destroy an underground yellow jacket nest with gas or other petroleum products. These treatments are dangerous, environmentally irresponsible and illegal..."

Anything that works good is always prohibited it seems... I will try 409 next time thanks...

Google says that works pretty good and is environmentally safe...

"You can also use regular liquid dish soap or liquid laundry detergent. Pour the solution directly into the hole, using a long-nozzled watering can or a hose with a spray attachment. Pour a teapot of boiling water into the hole immediately to wash the soap solution deeper into the hole, then leave the area immediately..."

How about that... Huh?

Ive always got one or two families of them to get rid of each year...

You will never guess where I started using gasoline - Yup Maricopa AZ when I lived out that way in the 60s and 70s hehe... Works everytime on them for sure... Thats what all of the old-timers out that way did back then...

If you read it on the internet must be true...

I'm just funning you Mr Jim...

Roy Ken

We were camping at Lake Roosevelt one time and had a nasty ant nest right in the middle of camp. So I poured about a cup of gasoline in the nest and lit it on fire. I didn't realize how much it would smoke. Next thing you know, I had a deputy sheriff paying a visit. He gave me hell and explained in very clear language how I'd violated the law and what it would do if it got into the ground water. He let me go with a warning, but I decided I'd never do that again.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the Environmental waste disposal business and our company handles waste gasolines, but in much larger quantity.
I recommend contacting your local municipality to see about local household hazardous waste programs.
Places that accept use motor oil will not accept waste gasoline as it is a flammable liquid.
Our company charges around 300 with 55 gal drum minimum to dispose of gasoline at a reclamation facility.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim - Just read that on google search "Never attempt to destroy an underground yellow jacket nest with gas or other petroleum products. These treatments are dangerous, environmentally irresponsible and illegal..."

Anything that works good is always prohibited it seems... I will try 409 next time thanks...

Google says that works pretty good and is environmentally safe...

"You can also use regular liquid dish soap or liquid laundry detergent. Pour the solution directly into the hole, using a long-nozzled watering can or a hose with a spray attachment. Pour a teapot of boiling water into the hole immediately to wash the soap solution deeper into the hole, then leave the area immediately..."

How about that... Huh?

Ive always got one or two families of them to get rid of each year...

You will never guess where I started using gasoline - Yup Maricopa AZ when I lived out that way in the 60s and 70s hehe... Works everytime on them for sure... Thats what all of the old-timers out that way did back then...

If you read it on the internet must be true...

I'm just funning you Mr Jim...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
rexmitchell wrote:
Autozone will take it.

Thanks. That will be my 1st go-to.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Why get rid of it? The water will separate to the bottom. Pour the top off and use.

I no longer have a use for it. It was for a generator that I no longer own and don't intend to replace. Thanks.