cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries ruptured, now what?

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I loaded the camper on the truck today and while attaching my tie downs, I noticed a white film on the underside of the wings. A chill came over me as I recalled a post I read on the forums last week about dead batteries rupturing, while the image of my fantastic vent left in the 'on' position all winter flashed in my head. Sure enough, my batteries had ruptured.

I pulled them out and made a thick mixture of baking soda and water. I basted the battery box and the underside of the wings with the mixture and thoroughly rinsed the area. Is there anything else I need to do?

On a related note, how do I dispose of these batteries? I have heavy, leaky, corrosive items that I really don't want spilled all over my vehicle. Will a Rubbermaid container work?
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would use a 3 step sequence

you already did one

now make a more "liquid" mixture and fill up a garden sprayer with it.

Spray everything in site.

now take ye-old garden hose and hose it down yet again with just water.

Douse well, do not be stingy with the rinse water.

Let dry, replace batteries,, DO NOT FORGET which wire goes where (paint/take pictures).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Opinion...

Do those compartments again with sodium bicarbonate, only this time with boiling water.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
Costco will take them. My question is more about how to transport them.

I would a couple of heavy plastic garbage bags in the bottom of a box.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
All done. I put them in a rubbermaid tub and too them to Costco. They have leak proof bags for leaky batts. Thanks.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
line the bottom of the tub with cardboard as it will soak up the acid and help nutralize it. that is what they have to do at the recycling places.
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Baking Soda is your friend... kill all that acid. But also our local recycle yard takes "leaky" ones, after you have cleaned up the acid.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:

On a related note, how do I dispose of these batteries? I have heavy, leaky, corrosive items that I really don't want spilled all over my vehicle. Will a Rubbermaid container work?

Yup.

You can store them in the Rubbermaidยฎ containers until disposal.

Call your local Fire Dept for further instructions.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
Rubbermaid tub will be fine for transporting them.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Costco will take them. My question is more about how to transport them.

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine beside my neighbor's garbage the night before garbage day... late at night.
2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
We take ours to a metal yard that recycles the lead. They buy them back as scrap. And most places that sell batteries will take them back also.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
To get rid of them legally I would first call Walmart. They may or may not take leaky batteries. If not you should probably call local fire dept & talk to their hazmat people.