cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery charging

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
In winter we normally remove the batteries and put them on the charger for the winter. using a CTEK Multi US 7002.
they seem to like it!
this winter someone has offered to let us store the MH in their big garage.
they say if we just plug in the MH then it may destroy the batteries.
so they are suggesting charge them one week a month.
this may be because they mistrust trickle battery chargers!

if we use the CTEK while the batteries are in the MH WITHOUT plugging the MH in to the electricity will the batteries be okay?
the batteries will still be connected to the MH as per normal usage.

the garage owner is an experienced RVer.
thanks all
30 REPLIES 30

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Put a meter on the house batteries.

Connect the Ctek to the starter battery.

Did the voltage go up at the house batteries? If so, yes, if not, no.

anon125 wrote:
when we charge our batteries at home out of the MH we join the batteries in parallel. connect the ctek to the starter battery and all 3 batteries are charged.
this year we are storing the MH (inside) with the batteries still in it.
are the 3 batteries (under the step) already connected in parallel?
thanks all
thanks all[img][/img]
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
when we charge our batteries at home out of the MH we join the batteries in parallel. connect the ctek to the starter battery and all 3 batteries are charged.
this year we are storing the MH (inside) with the batteries still in it.
are the 3 batteries (under the step) already connected in parallel?
thanks all
thanks all[img][/img]

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
then plug the ctek into the wall!
thanks

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Connect the battery terminals first to avoid sparking.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
what else do I need to buy beside the ctek to determine a battery is fully charged?

smkettner wrote:
Nothing. But give it a few days. Some CTEK is a bit small so best as a maintainer if less than 5 amps. This means run the converter 48 hours to charge then put the small CTEK on to maintain charge.

As mentioned in his original post the OP has a CTEK Multi US 7002 with a maximum charge rate of 7 amps. I've just ordered one, would have preferred the Multi US 25000 with it's higher maximum charge rate of 25 amps for maintaining my trailer battery but the price of the 7002 (~ $105 US on sale) couldn't be beat AND despite it's lower maximum charging rate will still do a better job than the crappy WFCO converter in my trailer. The OP's 7002 will work just fine for his intended purpose - just connect it and let it do the job automatically. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
very good advice
thanks

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
anon125 wrote:
Quoting from the ctek manual "Connect Negative clip to vehicle chassis or engine block away from the battery"
In our MH the batteries (house and starter) are under the steps! So it is kinda hard to connect the clip away from the batteries!
What do we do?
Thanks for your help
Any frame ground will do. Negative post is fine but may cause a spark and create a hazard. I usually just make sure the area is ventilated and clip direct on the battery. Wear eye protection around batteries.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Quoting from the ctek manual "Connect Negative clip to vehicle chassis or engine block away from the battery"
In our MH the batteries (house and starter) are under the steps! So it is kinda hard to connect the clip away from the batteries!
What do we do?
Thanks for your help

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
red31 wrote:
what else do I need to buy beside the ctek to determine a battery is fully charged?
Nothing. But give it a few days.

Some CTEK is a bit small so best as a maintainer if less than 5 amps. This means run the converter 48 hours to charge then put the small CTEK on to maintain charge.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted, already answered.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to determine state of charge is with a battery hydrometer. But that requires you open every battery cap and measure each cell. The CTEK should maintain the battery at full charge indefinitely, which can be seen by just measuring the float voltage, which CTEK sets at 13.6 V. If anything, that is a bit too high (spec for 2x Trojan T105 is 13.5 V @ 77F, and 13.28 @ 0F), so check the water on a regular basis.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
red31 wrote:

An hydrometer, an ammeter, and an Ouiji Board.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

red31
Explorer
Explorer