cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery help please.

HeathJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so I was asked to be an assistant scout master last summer. Our troop camps every month, year round regardless of weather. Thankfully leaders are not required to tent it so I bring the camper along for all of the leaders.

That has meant that when I winterized this year I only drained the water and such. I left the camper plugged in all winter and left the fridge running so there would be some draw on it.

When I went out to check on my batteries today I have all sorts of corrosion and it took 5 bottles (17oz) to fill them up!!!

I'm running dual 6V's I want to say they are about 4 years old at this point.

Do you think I'm still good or have I toasted these and need to replace them?
20 REPLIES 20

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Chandalen wrote:
A trickle charge, or a once a month charge and check is fine.

Once again: An unattended "trickle charge" with an inexpensive "dumb" trickle charger.....or converter......over long periods is not "fine".

What the OP reported here is exactly what you should expect to happen and it is NOT good. Even if the battery structure or chemistry is not significantly damaged, just the corrosion is a huge pain in the butt and can eventually cause things like battery trays and mounts to fail.

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused why you wanted a draw on the batteries? A trickle charge, or a once a month charge and check is fine.

After filling with water, did you check the voltages of the batteries? If so.. what were the voltages?

It sounds like -if- they hold a charge still, they should not be counted as good batteries.
'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vulcan you may have posted the qustion but the O/P has not responded.

Oh and I see many of you saying 2 quarts of water means batteries are damaged.. yes, might have taken a month or two off their total life.. Two quarts is about the maximum you can add to a GC-2 pair before damage sets in but I would not call them toast based on that.

IN fact I had to add about 2 quarts a year to mine.. that would indicate (At least on my interstates) the fluid level in the battery was JUST at top of plate level.. That is the absolute MINIMUM level without damage.

To the original poster.. There are many convrters.. IF you have, for example, a Magneteck 6300 series power center/converter assembly then leaving the fridge on (or lights or most anything save the radio) while plugged in had no effect on the battery charging.

and the Magnetek is very well known for doing what your convertr did.
The magnetek has two sections.. A converter that powers most of the stuff in the RV when pluggd in, and a battery over-charger that does what happened to your batteries if left plugged in long enough.

MOre modern convrters (Say parallex (Who bought Magntek) 7300 are also not that good at long term charging but still can cuse the kind of damage you describe.. Just takes longer.

Finally we have decent 3-stage converters In the 45 amp range "Multi Hundred Dollar" price tags means someone is goughing you 150 is closer (157 at best converter for a 9245 deck mount)
or if fixing a combo power/center converter you can go with the 4600

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9245C-45-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger_p_170.html
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

The convrter is suspect.. Make and model please.

Thought I posted this already.....????

How the converter was USED is suspect.

Most inexpensive units are not intended to be left on all the time and are not "smart" and will just blindly keep charging away whether it's needed or not.

It's fairly common knowledge that long term use of a dumb trickle charger is not good. When the battery gets fully charged, even a small charging current will "boil" off the water over time (a very slow electrolysis actually).

And I agree that leaving the fridge on is just a waste of energy.
It probably didn't make any difference in what happened to the batteries.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
several hundred for a multi stage converter may be overkill for a light use rig

many have reported that the cheap battery tender can totally discharge your batts and kill them if shore power goes out for a while. this sounds suspicious, or maybe it was an oversight now corrected. for a hands off approach to charging, check into this possible killer.

simple converters like the parallax units do reduce the charging amps as batts near full charge. in a hands-almost-off scenario, i'd put a note on fridge to charge on 1st (and 15th if you really want happy batts) for 24 hrs, run whatever you want, but turn it all off when the charge time is up.

batteries should not boil, and this should work well for your batts that may be saved. total cost is $0
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

red31
Explorer
Explorer
HeathJohnson wrote:
left the fridge running so there would be some draw on it.

WHY? I bet if you turned the fridge OFF you'd not have this issue unless the batts are bad.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your 12 volt system has several parts

A CONVERTER (Make and model please)
A Battery (you described them well enough)
A switch or solenoid (not the problem)
and assorted loads (No description needed)

The convrter is suspect.. Make and model please.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
"When I went out to check on my batteries today I have all sorts of corrosion and it took 5 bottles (17oz) to fill them up!!!"

5 17oz bottles of water is a lot. If you let the tops of the plates go dry, you're probably in bad shape.

If the tops did not go dry, then you're probably OK. GC batteries can take a lot of abuse (that doesn't mean you need to abuse them though). Clean the corrosion up, and do a load test; see how they work.

You probably ought to get a battery disconnect and a battery tender. A good three stage converter would be nice, but a disconnect and tender will do fine if used regularly.

Doug

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

With a bank of two-6V's it will be wrong almost all the time.

If the batteries are discharged and the RV is returned to storage, the battery "tender" will not charge the batteries correctly.

RE: being "wrong": it might not be optimal but being off just a bit from optimal is usually insignificant.

And whether or not the tender will recover from a near to complete discharge.....that depends on the tender in question and the time frame available. Many won't; some will.

It is a matter of preference.
Both options can work fine if done right.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:

But before you go and buy new batteries, go shopping for a good converter/charger (Progressive Dynamic, Xantrex or Iota) and get the smart 4 stage version.

IF....this is a unit that just sits more than it is actually in use, why "waste" the money when a simple automatic battery tender will serve the purpose very nicely and should cost less than $50.....and is portable too.

Because, with a constant voltage converter, every time the RV is connected to shore power, the batteries will be seeing that voltage, whether it is right or wrong. With a bank of two-6V's it will be wrong almost all the time.

If the batteries are discharged and the RV is returned to storage, the battery "tender" will not charge the batteries correctly.

For someone that likes a hands-off approach to battery maintenance, a small solar module with controller and either the water miser caps or AGM style batteries, would be a good solution.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
KIS !! Keep it simple,.......update the converter, then just plug in the power cord, and forget it. Check the water twice a year. But I have never added water more than once a year using a PD9245. Previous RV, a PD9155 w/ wiz, same results, and batteries last 8 yrs minimum.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:

But before you go and buy new batteries, go shopping for a good converter/charger (Progressive Dynamic, Xantrex or Iota) and get the smart 4 stage version.

IF....this is a unit that just sits more than it is actually in use, why "waste" the money when a simple automatic battery tender will serve the purpose very nicely and should cost less than $50.....and is portable too.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I read what the others have written, but I make (made - before the depression) a living working on boat electrics (Same-Same). You have not said what you have. You call it a camper and that is pretty wide open.

That fact that you put that much water in a pair of GC2 and you are seeing a lot of corrosion, makes me want to agree that the bank is toast, but that should wait for the actual data.

If you left the unit powered up and it does/did not have a modern four stage converter/charger, then the bank is probably toast. Do the whole diagnostic first.

But before you go and buy new batteries, go shopping for a good converter/charger (Progressive Dynamic, Xantrex or Iota) and get the smart 4 stage version. This will cost you about the same as the batteries. The big issue is that you will never need that much water again and the batteries will be in good shape for years to come (assuming you don't kill them by over discharging them). A pair of GC2 will like a 45~60 amp charger. But you still should not ignore them.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.